World Cup: U-20 World Cup 2017 Thread

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
To clarify, both players are at Spurs, so it could really be moot, if neither leaves. But there's been plenty of interest in Rose. Put his name into google, and search. I'm pretty sure the reason that Walker is more likely to go is that Trippier is a good enough replacement for Walker, while Davies really struggled to replace Rose.

But anyway, I think he kind of suffers in perception due to only making recent improvements. The present Rose of the last few years has been one of the best LB's in the world, and the best in the Premier League. Thats my opinion, and I think people just haven't watched enough to see it. Rose is every bit as important to Spurs defense as any of their defenders. Docking him for his play a few years ago would be like docking Filipe Luis for not getting playing time under Mourinho. Lets talk about now. Right now, there are not that many LB's better than Rose, at least from my perspective.

I didn't say you don't watch enough, so maybe you should calm down.

I'v seen a lot of negative comments about Davies the last year, especially when he had to play every week. From how I understand it, he struggled. Maybe you thought otherwise. Thats besides the point though.

And I don't remember playing the injury card with any player, so I don't know what you are talking about.

My point stands. If you consider the last few seasons, obviously not considering a few month spell where he was injured, Rose is one of the top few LB's in the world. The fact people are going to such outrageous lengths to discredit him is beyond me.

Maybe you shouldn't be dishonest when that's exactly what you said.

Rose stepped up his game this year to be sure, but he only did it for half a season. It takes more than that for me to really boost him beyond players who also had damn good years and have been that good more consistently.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
If you play for Tottenham you're clearly the best player in the country.

Without having watched a single U20 WC game I can already tell you guys Onomah was the best player in the tournament and will be the best midfielder in England.

This is after Alli leaves for a team like Real Madrid who will then be the best midfielder in that country because Spurs.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
If you play for Tottenham you're clearly the best player in the country.

Without having watched a single U20 WC game I can already tell you guys Onomah was the best player in the tournament and will be the best midfielder in England.

This is after Alli leaves for a team like Real Madrid who will then be the best midfielder in that country because Spurs.

From what I've been led to understand, Tottenham has the best striker, the best midfielder, the best two centerbacks, the best right back, the best left back, the (second) best goalie, and the best playmaker in England and yet they still can't win a trophy.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wonder why Gotze was turned into a midfielder... Coaches are such idiots...
Kimmich, Dahoud, Brandt developed?
They're work in progress. Just because you claim Dahoud is a top 5 midfielder doesn't mean it's right.

Only times you talk about Sommer is when I talk about him?
Really? Look at this thread ! :biglaugh:

Gotze was turned into a forward because Pep wasn't given Neymar for that role. It was an idiotic decision then; as I stated repeatedly; and it's still dumb now. Mario was never the German Messi, but he could have become the German Iniesta.

I don't need to argue for Dahoud anymore; those who haven't seen enough of him yet will next season. Brandt had one of the most spectacular first seasons for a teenager in the Buli after I spent all summer explaining to BuLi watchers why I was so pissed that he left FC VW for Leverkusen. And Kimmich is still growing, but he's proven he's a Bayern caliber player after many Bayern fans questioned why I hailed that signing so much.

And fair enough, I did bring Sommer up this time; though that was mostly because of how delicious the irony was.

I wouldn't even consider Guerreiro a LB.

Tuchel pretty much refused to play him at LB this season because he couldn't defend. Part of it was Schmelzer, but that wasn't all of it.

He's a LWB, who can play LB, CM and LM in a pinch.

Great player, just don't think he's a LB.

A bigger part of it was that you needed him in midfield with no Dahoud to help Weigl yet.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Maybe you shouldn't be dishonest when that's exactly what you said.

Rose stepped up his game this year to be sure, but he only did it for half a season. It takes more than that for me to really boost him beyond players who also had damn good years and have been that good more consistently.

Please, it was more than just this season. Thats a ridiculous suggestion.

And I don't know why you think a generalization that is aimed at a number of people is directed specifically to you. I couldn't say how much you have watched, thats for you to answer, but I think on the whole, a lot of people would balk at what I suggested due to not having enough information on Rose's play the last few years. Doesn't mean that applies to everyone who disagrees with me, but I suspect a lot of people who don't think Rose is incredibly good haven't watched him play much.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
A bigger part of it was that you needed him in midfield with no Dahoud to help Weigl yet.

I'm interested to see what happens this season.

Theoretically, Guerreiro should be the odd man out if I was strictly to judge on positions. I still prefer Schmelzer at LB, Dahoud at CM, Reus at LM. But I definitely would try to get him on the field, and there should be plenty of minutes available for him somewhere.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Didn't expect to see those deep discussions when I came to this thread lol.

IMO Rose has been the best LB in the EPL the past 2 seasons.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Also Sommer is just as good as Lloris.

:laugh:
Look at that, M. "my bench craps on your bench" comes in with his evaluation :D

Anyway, Kurzawa has played too few games in two seasons to be ranked among the best LB, as much as I like him. He's always injured and has played poorly coming back from injury. Mendy has been MUCH better. In fact, Mendy has taken away the LB spot on the NT from Kurzawa now.
Guerreiro is a LB. He started playing there years ago. He also played LW with Lorient in his last season there and CM with BVB, but to say he's not a LB is wrong. He played most of his career there.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
:laugh:
Look at that, m. "my bench craps on your bench" comes in with his evaluation :d
anyway, kurzawa has played too few games in two seasons to be ranked among the best lb, as much as i like him. He's always injured and has played poorly coming back from injury. Mendy has been much better. In fact, mendy has taken away the lb spot on the nt from kurzawa now.
Guerreiro is a lb. He started playing there years ago. He also played lw with lorient in his last season there and cm with bvb, but to say he's not a lb is wrong. He played most of his career there.

Left Wing-Back?

Much better going forward than defensively. Barely passable defensively as a full-back.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Being the best of either fullback position isn't saying much. Nobody wants to play there anyway.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Left Wing-Back?

Much better going forward than defensively. Barely passable defensively as a full-back.

If you want, you can call it that. He's decent defensively. But Kurzawa and Mendy aren't the best defensively, and are outragously good offensively, better than most wingers, and they're still LB in my book. LWB is played usually in 5 men defenses. IN 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, I call them LB.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm interested to see what happens this season.

Theoretically, Guerreiro should be the odd man out if I was strictly to judge on positions. I still prefer Schmelzer at LB, Dahoud at CM, Reus at LM. But I definitely would try to get him on the field, and there should be plenty of minutes available for him somewhere.

You won't even see Reus in 2018 IIUR.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I wouldn't even consider Guerreiro a LB.

Tuchel pretty much refused to play him at LB this season because he couldn't defend. Part of it was Schmelzer, but that wasn't all of it.

He's a LWB, who can play LB, CM and LM in a pinch.

Great player, just don't think he's a LB.

Actually, Schmelzer+frequent 3 man back lines was all of it.

No, he should be back in 2018. Not many injuries that take a year and a half to rehabilitate.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you want, you can call it that. He's decent defensively. But Kurzawa and Mendy aren't the best defensively, and are outragously good offensively, better than most wingers, and they're still LB in my book. LWB is played usually in 5 men defenses. IN 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, I call them LB.

I'm aware of what the position is called, I'm saying that I think Guerreiro doesn't have a great positional fit in a 4 man back line. I think he's excellent for a formation that starts with a 3 or 5.

I'm also aware of this. With everyone healthy, I'm not sure he starts with a 4 man back line. Even without Reus, he still might not start.

I'm a big fan of Guerreiro, just saying that I don't think he's one of the best LB's in the world. I have a hard time designated a position for him and ranking him, although you definitely do want him on your team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad