Tyson Jost

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Christ, just let the kid develop.

'Member that "Development isn't linear" line? Or does MacKinnon only get that benefit?

MacKinnon showed far more offensive flashes and skill in his first couple seasons than Jost. Granted #1 pick vs #10 pick...

Also, there's no way we're getting Nylander for Varlamov and Jost. They don't need Varlamov and Jost isn't a notable enough piece.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
MacKinnon showed far more offensive flashes and skill in his first couple seasons than Jost. Granted #1 pick vs #10 pick...

Also, there's no way we're getting Nylander for Varlamov and Jost. They don't need Varlamov and Jost isn't a notable enough piece.

No-one said anything about Varlamov. I dont want him going anywhere anytime soon.

Jost, our 1st and a goalie prospect like Werner should be enough for Nylander.

That still gives us Ottawa's 1st, Makar, Timmins, Meloche, Kaut, Kamanev, Bowers, Ranta, Shvyrev, Greer, Smirnov, Henry....etc.

It's not like we are short on prospects.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Way too early. He's 20, and trading him before we see how Bowers, Kaut, Shyvrev, Ottawa 1st, our first pan out this year. He has the tools to be a 2C.

I think he needs some wing time, so he can get more chances. I'd also take him off PP1 because he's usually invisible and can't win faceoffs. He was at 14 percent.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Would be nice to see Jost play with someone who has offensive talent before shipping him out. He is obviously bringing 0 scoring himself, but I’m sure he would be doing a little more if the Avs actually had some 2nd like talent he was playing with.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I know this is the easy answer but we should at least be seeing some flashes. He’s got 13 even strength points in 73 games and he’s been relatively sheltered. I just don’t see a ton of offensive upside. He struggles to get separation to get decent chances.

The one thing I’ll say is I think he looks real good defensively this year.

This... I've caught a lot of hell for my opinions on Jost, but we are clearly seeing the issues with him at center. There is not enough of explosive skating to make him impactful on both ends of the ice. He is playing well defensively, but there isn't enough left over to play well offensively. IMO if you want to get the most out of Jost offensively, he needs to be moved to wing. If you are okay with the offense taking some time to come around with Jost at center, swap roles between Soda and Jost.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I’m not against trading anybody if the deal is right.

But it’s not time to hit the panic button yet. Jost is only 20, and has only played 80 career games (with a respectable 14 goals in that span). More importantly, the kid is clearly an NHLer, even if his game is devoid of flashy offense.

We’ve been spoiled the last decade with young players making an instant mark in the NHL. Avalanche fans need to be more patient with Jost.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m not against trading anybody if the deal is right.

But it’s not time to hit the panic button yet. Jost is only 20, and has only played 80 career games (with a respectable 14 goals in that span). More importantly, the kid is clearly an NHLer, even if his game is devoid of flashy offense.

We’ve been spoiled the last decade with young players making an instant mark in the NHL. Avalanche fans need to be more patient with Jost.

I’m not ready to ship him out of here or anything but I think the Jost at C experiment needs to end pretty soon

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Jost had an upwards trajectory last season. No reason why it can't happen again. But I do agree that he needed to be demoted for now.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I’m not ready to ship him out of here or anything but I think the Jost at C experiment needs to end pretty soon

Or at least we need to start a trial of him at the wing. His hockey iq is clearly at a nhl level, he doesnt need to learn anymore in the ahl. He would make a pretty effective winger with a more dynamic big centre.

Reactions: Foppberg

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Jost might be a Couturier, obviously not as good, where he needs quite a bit more time to improve his skating till he’s ready to be a good on both sides of the ice.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Jost might be a Couturier, obviously not as good, where he needs quite a bit more time to improve his skating till he’s ready to be a good on both sides of the ice.

Cooter's issue was more about role than anything else. He was the shutdown guy from basically the point he entered the league. When they moved Giroux to wing and traded Schenn, they moved Cooter to the #1C spot and he broke out offensively. Now that said, I think how much offense was a mirage based upon two great linemates. IMO Cooter is more of a low to mid 50 point guy than a mid 70 point guy.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Trading Jost now would be dumb. Other teams have scouts (and the internet). They see him struggling too and won’t pay a premium for him. We’ve just gotta be patient and see if he improves. Unfortunately there’s nowhere in our bottom 9 that he’ll be gifted points. He’s going to have to get going on his own. Hopefully Bednar can find him a line that’ll form some chemistry.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
I'm not ready to give up on Jost via trade yet, but he has been very disappointing so far this year. Very underwhelming offensively.

If things dont change by January I wouldn't be against using him as a piece to bring someone else in. Especially if Kerfoot and Compher keep playing at the levels they were this year.

Something like Jost + our 1st for a signed Stone in January could be good for both teams. I'd roll lines looking like this:

Landy - Mack - Rants
JTC - Soda - Stone
Sven - Kerf - Wilson
Nieto - Kamenev - Calvert
Bourque
Is there anyway instead of Josty we could just send them Nieto and Bork? Wishful thinking probably

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Really not impressed with Jost in these past 4-5 games. He needs to be demoted for a bit and taken off the first PP unit ino. He does absolutely nothing on that unit besides stand there and watch MacK and company pass the puck.

Trading him right now would be a bad decision though. I believe he will figure it out eventually and put up some points.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They're not trading him, certainly not now. While I'd like to see more I still think there's a player in there. He's noticeably improved from last season but still not putting it together. I still say put him with someone who can allow him to get open and take shots. Don't know why the coaches and management have clearly seen film on the kid ripping one-timers and shooting with abandon around the faceoff dots and have him grinding along the boards down low all the damn time. And I don't think they have to switch him to wing in order to facilitate this--they just need to put some better linemates on there. Colin Wilson ain't good enough, Kerfoot MIGHT be, but the third guy on that line needs to be an actual finisher or at least a guy who's able to create more offense.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Taking him off the top unit does nothing. He’s the most expendable part of that unit and rarely touches the puck, so it’s not like there’s a huge effect changing him there.

I think Jost is always grinding around the boards because that’s what he’s good at. I’m pretty sure if he got open, Kerfoot would find him. Jost just doesn’t get open.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Taking him off the top unit does nothing. He’s the most expendable part of that unit and rarely touches the puck, so it’s not like there’s a huge effect changing him there.

I think Jost is always grinding around the boards because that’s what he’s good at. I’m pretty sure if he got open, Kerfoot would find him. Jost just doesn’t get open.

Ya, thats the weakest part of his game. Not getting open. But i dont think its a lack of hockey sense or even talent, he’s grinding along the boards instead cause kerfoot cant and wilson is no where near as good at it as he should be. Thats why it might be better if he just plays on this current line for a while.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Ya, thats the weakest part of his game. Not getting open. But i dont think its a lack of hockey sense or even talent, he’s grinding along the boards instead cause kerfoot cant and wilson is no where near as good at it as he should be. Thats why it might be better if he just plays on this current line for a while.

Not getting open is purely a skating issue. He’s not a good enough skater to get transitioned from defense to offense. Hence why he’d be much more effective on the wing.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Can't waaait for Jost to gain more exp , str, skating hes as a sure thing as you can get guy has no quit in him like RoR

EDIT: yeah he probably should have stayed in college or in the ahl but it is what it is now were just going to have to be patient about it I studied his game as much as ratny since day one and kid has the skill+will. takes some young guys time on top of that he cane in injured last year bacsically a write off imo

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Can't waaait for Jost to gain more exp , str, skating hes as a sure thing as you can get guy has no quit in him like RoR

EDIT: yeah he probably should have stayed in college or in the ahl but it is what it is now were just going to have to be patient about it I studied his game as much as ratny since day one and kid has the skill+will. takes some young guys time on top of that he cane in injured last year bacsically a write off imo

Sure thing as in, he's surely going to fail playing at Center like he has?

The dude is far from a sure thing in the NHL at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad