Tyson Jost

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Is he color blind to blue as well? Cause I’ve never seen some many offsides in my life.
alex-tanguay-2013-43.jpg

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
New whipping boy official

He isn't a whipping boy but this team is ready to compete now and he could be a valuable trade partner to get a 2nd line scorer under contract in return.

One thing is forsure he wont develop playing 10 minutes a night on the 4th line.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well, as I said to TMV on Twitter, I think the Avs have definitely botched his development. They didn't need to sign him so soon, and they could've stowed him in the minors a bit longer than they did, though I understand injuries at the time may have forced their hand. He may need another stint down there to get himself right.

I also don't understand what kind of player they're trying to turn him into, because this is not the guy I saw play at UND. He wasn't necessarily a guy who ground it out along the boards and scrapped in the slot area. He has a great release, he needs to find open areas of the ice and use it. Now...I know, he needs to work on getting open as well, but I feel like the coaches are steering him waaaaaay wrong.

I'm not overly concerned, but I am concerned nonetheless. He really started out promising this year and now I'm seeing a bit of regression. The guy out there today just wasn't a factor in tonight's game. I'm not sure Bednar is handling this one quite right.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Well, as I said to TMV on Twitter, I think the Avs have definitely botched his development. They didn't need to sign him so soon, and they could've stowed him in the minors a bit longer than they did, though I understand injuries at the time may have forced their hand. He may need another stint down there to get himself right.

I also don't understand what kind of player they're trying to turn him into, because this is not the guy I saw play at UND. He wasn't necessarily a guy who ground it out along the boards and scrapped in the slot area. He has a great release, he needs to find open areas of the ice and use it. Now...I know, he needs to work on getting open as well, but I feel like the coaches are steering him waaaaaay wrong.

I'm not overly concerned, but I am concerned nonetheless. He really started out promising this year and now I'm seeing a bit of regression. The guy out there today just wasn't a factor in tonight's game. I'm not sure Bednar is handling this one quite right.

That's... a lot of excuses for Jost.

I don't know how Bednar has remotely botched his development, he's done everything textbook. His first year he gave him time in a sheltered offensive role with Kerfoot and Andrighetto flanking him. This year he's given #1PP time and the #2C spot. Easy to say he should've been in the minors, but the AHL team was a mess considering we had to share the roster with St. Louis. Giving him 20-30 games on a fairly decent team should help him get his confidence back.

On a sidenote, i'd still take Jost over most of the other options drafted in the 10-20 range, obviously excluding Chychrun and McAvoy.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Get him off the 1st PP unit. He has done nothing to deserve that kind of a responsibility. I much rather park Soda's gigantic ass in front of the goaltender.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I agree that his development was mishandled. He should've been on the Cale Makar plan, and gone back to school for a second year. Going from the BCHL > NCAA > NHL in less than a year is a huge jump for anyone. I do think he'll come into his own eventually, but playing a 20 year old first round pick on your 4th line is less than ideal.

Reactions: Foppberg

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I agree with a lot of what's been said here. I think it's time to send him down to the AHL. Take advantage of the fact that he's still waivers exempt. Keep him down there until he's dominant at both ends of the ice, then bring him up and put him in a position to succeed. Right now, he looks like he's got very little offensive talent, is weak on the puck, and actively harms whatever line he's on when they're in the offensive zone.

If they insist on keeping him up, put him on the wing and take him the hell off that 1st unit. I think the reason he barely touches the puck on the PP is because the rest of the guys out there don't trust him. I certainly wouldn't - he loses it any time it's contested. Put Kerfoot or Ghetto or Wilson in that role and put Jost on the 2nd PP.

I'm not ready to have him traded (unless it's a really good trade), and I'm not ready to declare him a bust, but I honestly have never seen anything from him at the NHL level that makes me think he's a top 6 forward. I don't remember any time last season or this one where he was really driving offense for a whole game or looking dangerous for a whole game. He doesn't seem to have any offensive creativity, and when I look at the lineup the only forwards I see with less offensive talent are Gork, Nieto, and Calvert, and all of them are at least fast.

So I say put him down with the Eagles and see if he can become an NHL-level offensive player.

Reactions: New Scotlander

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I fully agree that Jost should have stayed a second season. I thought it was a mistake at the time the Avs signed him, and I thought it was a mistake to keep him up last year. That said, I don't think his development is causing the issues we are seeing. Jost's skating isn't nearly as explosive enough to play his sort of game at the NHL level. Honestly in the NHL all players are good skaters (even the bad ones are great at lower levels) and the average is so far above any other league that it is harder to stand out in that area. Jost needs to adapt his style of play and IMO, needs reduced ice responsibility to be able to find space on the ice. It isn't going to come from being able to burst away from defenders like it has at lower levels, it has to come from different areas.

Now if the Avs don't recognize Jost's issues right now and let his complete lack of confidence fester, we could start seeing some large developmental issues.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Before they send him down I'd like them to move him to wing first and see how that helps him. The sooner they do this the better it will be for Jost. Don't wait that he loses all confidence. I think Jost-Soda-Ghetto or Kerfoot-Soda-Jost line could be good offensively and defensively and do wonders for his O game.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Before they send him down I'd like them to move him to wing first and see how that helps him. The sooner they do this the better it will be for Jost. Don't wait that he loses all confidence. I think Jost-Soda-Ghetto or Kerfoot-Soda-Jost line could be good offensively and defensively and do wonders for his O game.
I think the they should do any of the things listed above (ie: send him to Loveland or move him to wing) should be sooner rather then later, to avoid his confidence going to the sh**er.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Even AJ and others are getting on Bednar's case for not just putting Soderberg at 2C.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Kerfoot - Soderberg - Andrighetto
Wilson - Jost - Dano
Nieto/Bourque - Kamenev - Calvert

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Okay question for everyone: If Soda is moved to the 2nd line (with Kerfoot and either Wilson or Ghetto), and Jost is scratched/sent down, who plays center on the bottom two lines (assuming Compher remains injured)? Kamenev obviously gets one spot, but for the other do you play Dano there (he's listed as a center in some places) or do you call up O'Connor/someone else?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Okay question for everyone: If Soda is moved to the 2nd line (with Kerfoot and either Wilson or Ghetto), and Jost is scratched/sent down, who plays center on the bottom two lines (assuming Compher remains injured)? Kamenev obviously gets one spot, but for the other do you play Dano there (he's listed as a center in some places) or do you call up O'Connor/someone else?

Well...they can use Wilson as a center, he's actually pretty good at faceoffs IIRC. They can also use Kerf but I still think the Avs are wasting their time using him there. They can also call up Toninato to anchor the 4th line and use Kamenev as 3C but that'd be giving a whole lot of responsibility to those youngsters.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I fully agree that Jost should have stayed a second season. I thought it was a mistake at the time the Avs signed him, and I thought it was a mistake to keep him up last year. That said, I don't think his development is causing the issues we are seeing. Jost's skating isn't nearly as explosive enough to play his sort of game at the NHL level. Honestly in the NHL all players are good skaters (even the bad ones are great at lower levels) and the average is so far above any other league that it is harder to stand out in that area. Jost needs to adapt his style of play and IMO, needs reduced ice responsibility to be able to find space on the ice. It isn't going to come from being able to burst away from defenders like it has at lower levels, it has to come from different areas.

Now if the Avs don't recognize Jost's issues right now and let his complete lack of confidence fester, we could start seeing some large developmental issues.

So, what do you want him to do? Play Wing???

;)

Reactions: henchman21

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Well...they can use Wilson as a center, he's actually pretty good at faceoffs IIRC. They can also use Kerf but I still think the Avs are wasting their time using him there. They can also call up Toninato to anchor the 4th line and use Kamenev as 3C but that'd be giving a whole lot of responsibility to those youngsters.

I really don't want to see Toninato in the NHL unless he can do better than 1 assist in 5 AHL games. Wilson is an interesting option, especially if he's centering the new shutdown 3rd line and freeing up Soderberg. But I don't really want to split up Wilson and Kerfoot, as they seem to have some chemistry.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
So I went looking for Jost college highlights to see what he looks like when he's on his offensive game, and I found this:

It honestly worries me, because basically every highlight there in which he created his own offense it's him doing basically the exact same move, which is him quickly changing directions and stickhandling through the defenseman's legs. The issue is that move simply doesn't work at the NHL level. Any halfway decent NHL defenseman is either going to physically knock you off the puck or poke it away from you if you try that. And surprise, surprise, that's exactly what happens to Jost almost every time he tries to do something in the offensive zone.

The one good thing in the video is that it shows he does indeed have some finishing ability if someone else on his line sets him up - and we've seen bits of that so far in his Avs career.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I really don't want to see Toninato in the NHL unless he can do better than 1 assist in 5 AHL games. Wilson is an interesting option, especially if he's centering the new shutdown 3rd line and freeing up Soderberg. But I don't really want to split up Wilson and Kerfoot, as they seem to have some chemistry.

People (and the Avs too) need to get off this "he needs to score more" nonsense with Toninato.

Repeat after me: He. Is. A. Defensive. Forward. If the Avs are now balking at the fact that he's not showing much offensive creativity then they were fools to sign him in the first place. He has been everything as advertised.

In his brief stint with the Avs he was on the right side of all possession/shot metrics and was quite adept at getting the puck out of danger and into the offensive zone. So the f*** what if he can't put the puck in the net?

It is kind of a weird culture thing with the NHL as a whole that purely defensive forwards like Dwight King essentially get ousted while talentless knobs like Tanner Glass somehow stay in the league well past their expiration dates. I hope the Avs buck this stupid trend, but even they seem prone to it (i.e. so-called "defensive forward" Gabriel Bourque, who's actually not that good defensively).

Reactions: arun

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So I went looking for Jost college highlights to see what he looks like when he's on his offensive game, and I found this:

It honestly worries me, because basically every highlight there in which he created his own offense it's him doing basically the exact same move, which is him quickly changing directions and stickhandling through the defenseman's legs. The issue is that move simply doesn't work at the NHL level. Any halfway decent NHL defenseman is either going to physically knock you off the puck or poke it away from you if you try that. And surprise, surprise, that's exactly what happens to Jost almost every time he tries to do something in the offensive zone.

The one good thing in the video is that it shows he does indeed have some finishing ability if someone else on his line sets him up - and we've seen bits of that so far in his Avs career.

He definitely needs better linemates. I think Kerf and him could still be a very effective duo, but they gotta have an legit finisher with them, a guy who can actually put the puck in the net. I still think he could yet be a very effective player, but I don't think he'll ever be in a position where he can be the best player on a given line and that line will work.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
He definitely needs better linemates. I think Kerf and him could still be a very effective duo, but they gotta have an legit finisher with them, a guy who can actually put the puck in the net. I still think he could yet be a very effective player, but I don't think he'll ever be in a position where he can be the best player on a given line and that line will work.

I think Jost could actually be that finisher. I think what he and Kerf need is a guy who can do everything else on the line. Honestly the ideal guy would be Rantanen but that's not going to happen. The next best option IMHO would be someone who plays like Wilson when Wilson is playing really well. Maybe Soderberg?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think Jost could actually be that finisher. I think what he and Kerf need is a guy who can do everything else on the line. Honestly the ideal guy would be Rantanen but that's not going to happen. The next best option IMHO would be someone who plays like Wilson when Wilson is playing really well. Maybe Soderberg?

I did think that Jost is doing too much grinding/cycling along the boards and trying to muck around in the slot when he should be getting open for shots. We actually saw him making a concerted effort to get more shots off last night, but given how he's playing right now they weren't very effective. I always thought he'd be a better shoot-first guy, either at C or on the wing, but either way, I view him as a Brayden Schenn-type. He'll be good, but he needs a star on his line to be effective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->