Tyson Jost

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You guys need to take a breath and relax. He’s 20 years old and been asked to play a defensive role most of his NHL career so far. With line mates that don’t click or don’t have much skill.

Just because the production isn’t there yet, doesn’t mean it won’t be later. Just like it didn’t mean that for these guys who started off in defensive roles too.

Couturier
77 games - 27 points
46 games - 15 points
123 total games - 42 points = 0.34 pts/gm

ROR
81 games - 26 points
74 games - 26 points
155 total games - 52 points = 0.34 pts/gm

Jost
65 games - 22 points
9 games - 2 points
74 total games - 24 points = 0.32 pts/gm

Kesler
28 games - 5 points
82 games - 23 points
48 games - 16 points
158 total games - 44 points = 0.28 pts/gm

If Jost puts up a two point game in his next outing, he jumps to 0.35 pts/gm and has a better points per game through his first two seasons than both Couturier and ROR.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You guys need to take a breath and relax. He’s 20 years old and been asked to play a defensive role most of his NHL career so far. With line mates that don’t click or don’t have much skill.

Just because the production isn’t there yet, doesn’t mean it won’t be later. Just like it didn’t mean that for these guys who started off in defensive roles too.

Couturier
77 games - 27 points
46 games - 15 points
123 total games - 42 points = 0.34 pts/gm

ROR
81 games - 26 points
74 games - 26 points
155 total games - 52 points = 0.34 pts/gm

Jost
65 games - 22 points
9 games - 2 points
74 total games - 24 points = 0.32 pts/gm

Kesler
28 games - 5 points
82 games - 23 points
48 games - 16 points
158 total games - 44 points = 0.28 pts/gm

It’s not that he isn’t producing points. It’s the fact that I literally haven’t seen him provide any sort of offense at ES. He’s been great defensively, but he can’t get himself into a good position to either set someone up or even get a shot off, and that’s concerning.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I would not say that Jost has been mostly asked to play in a defensive role. That being said, he has been playing the most defensive (as expected of a true center) on his lines. But it does not excuse him from generating more offense. Just lacking the elite skating to counter attack right now. If we want him to be offensive, we might have to sacrifice some of his defense at this point. Which is why, he should be playing as a winger beside soderberg

Reactions: Foppberg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I would not say that Jost has been mostly asked to play in a defensive role. That being said, he has been playing the most defensive (as expected of a true center) on his lines. But it does not excuse him from generating more offense. Just lacking the elite skating to counter attack right now. If we want him to be offensive, we might have to sacrifice some of his defense at this point. Which is why, he should be playing as a winger beside soderberg

Jost had the second highest defensive zone starting percentage of all Avs centers last year, behind only Soderberg. Playing in a bottom six role pretty much all season.

His most common line mates by far last year were in a third line role between Colin Wilson and Gabe Bourque. He also spent a decent amount of time in a 4th line role between Comeau and Nieto. These are not the kind of lines that let Jost utilize his skill and vision.

Jost needs quicker skilled line mates to make quick give and go plays with. He doesn't have the separation speed to try and make all the plays himself. That is the main thing holding his production back right now. Either he develops the necessary separation speed so he can create space for himself, or he gets better line mates that can provide better puck support and shooting options.

As it is, Wilson and Kerfoot (who seems useless on the wing) have not provided him that this year either.

COL 1718 F Lines

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Jost had the second highest defensive zone starting percentage of all Avs centers last year, behind only Soderberg. Playing in a bottom six role pretty much all season.

His most common line mates by far last year were in a third line role between Colin Wilson and Gabe Bourque. He also spent a decent amount of time in a 4th line role between Comeau and Nieto. These are not the kind of lines that let Jost utilize his skill and vision.

Jost needs quicker skilled line mates to make quick give and go plays with. He doesn't have the separation speed to try and make all the plays himself. That is the main thing holding his production back right now. Either he develops the necessary separation speed so he can create space for himself, or he gets better line mates that can provide better puck support and shooting options.

As it is, Wilson and Kerfoot (who seems useless on the wing) have not provided him that this year either.

COL 1718 F Lines

Even if Kerfoot and Wilson have been useless, they’re at least showing up on the scoresheet here and there, well mainly Kerfoot. Jost isn’t even averaging a shot per game, that’s concerning because he can’t get himself into positions to get a shot off.

Again defensively he’s been great, but his skating is holding him back from being an effective C in the NHL.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
He'll get traded. Just a feeling.
I sure hope not. Haven't read the whole thread but can get a feel for the mood around here. He set up Ghetto on a nice pass, once Ghetto starts finishing he will get more points. I'm sure glad Sakic doesn't agree with comments like the one above. It seems like any sort of patience in this league is gone because the amount of good young players entering the league. The guy is 20 years old and being asked to be the defacto #2C with some arguable top 6 talent to play with. Give him some time. Strap a legit top 6 winger to him and he will start producing. Will be a very important player for us, especially in the playoffs IMO.

Reactions: New Scotlander

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yea maybe because he's our best piece that is also expendable

The Avs have in no way answered their #2C issue. Kerfoot, Kamenev, Compher, and Bowers are their only other options right now, and none have shown yet that they can be the Avs #2C of the future. Until that happens, or unless they trade for one, Jost isn't expendable.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I sure hope not. Haven't read the whole thread but can get a feel for the mood around here. He set up Ghetto on a nice pass, once Ghetto starts finishing he will get more points. I'm sure glad Sakic doesn't agree with comments like the one above. It seems like any sort of patience in this league is gone because the amount of good young players entering the league. The guy is 20 years old and being asked to be the defacto #2C with some arguable top 6 talent to play with. Give him some time. Strap a legit top 6 winger to him and he will start producing. Will be a very important player for us, especially in the playoffs IMO.

I hope im wrong in the end and he's lighting it up with Mark Stone or whatever but idk, i feel like
one day were gonna wake up to see a huge trade for a fwd with him as the centerpiece

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Though I can see it, I think we might see Kerfoot moved instead of him as the young NHLer in a package for 1b Center. With Jost being shifted to the wing of whoever we get.

Jost--Hayes--Stone ...for the low low price of... a billion dollars!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Jost--Hayes--Stone ...for the low low price of... a billion dollars!

I like Hayes as a player, but if we dip into our assets for a current piece it really should be a blockbuster to anchor our 2nd line longterm. Someone like Drai, Trochek or maybe Zibby?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
lol yeah, folks have been talking about going after him as a rental so I didn't realize you meant just signing him & stone :laugh:
Oh yeah haha im a hoarder when it comes to our assets
Like hands off b*tch
But yeah we arent in a position to even do the whole "rentals for fun runs" right now. Give it a couple years and if were in a spot we're we can just sell off 1sts and 2nds like its nothing then great.

Reactions: cgf and Foppberg

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
The Avs have in no way answered their #2C issue. Kerfoot, Kamenev, Compher, and Bowers are their only other options right now, and none have shown yet that they can be the Avs #2C of the future. Until that happens, or unless they trade for one, Jost isn't expendable.
Bowers has never even played in the AHL but I think he'll be good from what I've seen. I like his style jmo

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bowers has never even played in the AHL but I think he'll be good from what I've seen. I like his style jmo

I like him and his style too, but literally no one knows if he'll be a #2C, #3C, or a #4C in the NHL. He simply hasn't been tested at that level.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I see Bowers becoming a really good 3C. If he becomes a 2C I don’t think he’ll be an average one. But who knows :dunno:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I see middle six C potential in Bowers. Good defensively but nothing about his offense really pops as being translatable enough to anchor a second line.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
He'll get traded. Just a feeling.

Not a chance as long as Sakic is GM. He's ridiculously high on the kid (which is why he rushed him in).

Hepple is also enamoured with him, and I imagine that some or most of the other scouts and development staff are as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad