Prospect Info: Tyson Jost selected 10th overall

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If he can improve his skating a bit, he will be able to be much more involved. It took the Sedins until they were 24 years old before their skating was good enough. They kept improving a little bit each off-season and once they were able to move around the ice as they should, they were able to play their game. Jost obviously is less talented, but still.

He doesn't really leak shots against or goals against and he's only 21 years old, so I'm sure there is some GM figuring he might be worth a shot.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
He does nothing right. Every attempt at a play is a fail. Failed shot. Failed hit. Failed pass. Failed deke. Failed pass reception. Failed clear. Failed stick check. Gets pushed around.

Every shift he disapoints in some way. The only thing he does is not make huge mistakes.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
If there's some miracle worker out there in the skating world that an NHL club has employed and he gets traded there, he might have a chance. Poor dude is just too slow, great guy though. Rooted for him the second I saw grandpa Jost bawling his eyes out.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
I am mostly disappointed in him based on his draft position. If he'd some late round guy who ultimately became what he is now I'd be okay with that. That said, I think he has upside...but with a different team. A change of scenery and I think he could put up 10-15 goals a season and be an effective 3rd liner. But his time with the Avs needs to end.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Feel bad for him in a way. High draft pick that simply hasn’t lived up to expectations. That can’t be easy on him. Now he hears that he’s being traded and he looks around a great hockey team that could win a Stanley Cup and he realizes that he’s the weak link that management believes needs to be moved to make the team better.

Can’t be easy. If he ever turned it in and became a superstar somewhere else I wouldn’t be the least bit upset. It’s never going to happen here (or anywhere else lol) but I wish him all the best.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Very curious to see if Jost has any kind of value on the market, or if opposing GM’s view him the same way Avs fans do.

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by the return he gets....

Not to say he returns a legit Top 6 forward with term or anything like that. But there's this perception of Jose being a legitimately useful bottom 6 forward around the league. Otherwise Johnston and the HNIC staff wouldn't have made it a headline that he's likely moved on the show last night.

Teams are going to be interested. Despite how awful and useless we've seen him be, his underlying numbers aren't terrible, and he is still a former Top 10 1st round pick who's still only 21 and in his 3rd year of NHL hockey.

Teams will have interest in taking him on as a guy they may see with legit upside still who at the very least can play a defensive role on the team right now. Especially teams that are awful right now like Detroit, Ottawa, LA, etc. I actually think Jost would have been the Kings 4th best forward last night for example.

In terms of straight up pick value if we were to move him... From a team like LA or Ottawa I could see us getting a late 2nd round pick. Like the Vegas 2020 2nd LA just got. Or from Ottawa getting the Dallas 2020 2nd they have. That type of value.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Pronman's scouting report:

Jost was simply fantastic this season, putting up huge numbers for a 17-year-old in the BCHL, even when you adjust for its lesser league quality. He is a dynamic, athletic center with decent off-the-puck skills as well. Jost is one of the better skaters in his draft class, with an easy, explosive stride whose first few steps will be able to evade NHL checkers. He's a highly-skilled puck handler who can execute high-difficulty plays in tight spaces, as well as make above-average passes.

He doesn't seem to have questions about his skating like some others.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Jost doesn't have a future here, it's best for us and for him to part ways now. MacKinnon - Kadri - Compher - PAB - Bowers - Kamanev and Newhook in the waiting.

Jost needs to go to a center needy team who can play him in their top 9 consistently. Maybe a slower team where Jost's skating won't leave him behind so much.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Damn. That sounds similar to Pronman's Newhook scouting report. :laugh:

Yeah, I'm a lot more optimistic with Newhook because he's so much more nimble/shifty than Jost was...definitely gives off some young Duchene vibes with how shifty he can get at top speed...so even if/when that explosiveness advantage that he's enjoyed his entire hockey-career (thus far), evaporates against NHLers; I'm optimistic that he'll be able to create enough space for himself to implement his skill-game & creativity.

But it never hurts to remind ourselves of what was being said about previous prospects; especially ones that couldn't translate their game to the highest level. And I can't deny that, despite his stupidly impressive freshmen season, I am still a little anxious to see how Newhook's game evolves when he can no longer simply pull away from 99% of the players he's on the ice with, whenever he needs to.

...assuming that he doesn't somehow just become an even better skater & gain that MacK-/Makar-explosiveness that is elite even at this level...

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs_19

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I really don't get it--how did so many people get the skating wrong?

I think it's a combination of his technique being excellent (apparently), Jost being a gym rat with really well developed legs already, and simply that at those lower levels (NCAA, TC & BCHL) his skating was an advantage over most players he ever came up against...

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad