Prospect Info: Tyson Jost selected 10th overall

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Yep. People who don't follow hockey won't know him. It's a select group but that's not the case with Selänne, Saku Koivu and possibly a few others. And then there's another group of people of casual hockey followers, I suspect, who do know the likes of Mikko Koivu, Tuomo Ruutu, Granlund and Laine, "but who's this Rantanen?"
When Rantanen becomes world championship casual, all the housewives and their mothers in Finland get familiar with him.... Through television that is!

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Um, seriously? I would like a little clarification on this before I laugh you off the internet (if warranted).

If you are talking best Swedish captain of the Avs....yes, by default.

If you are talking most talented Swedish captain of Tre Kronor, I would like to point out Zetterberg, Sundin or some scrub named Lidstrom.
Same list for the NHL, but add another bender by the name of Forsberg, or even Alfredsson. And maybe others I am forgetting.

I will explain in more detail later today or tomorrow why I have this opinion.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
That is not what I said. Landy does not need to be our top leading goal scorer to be our Captain. Landy needs to be more consistant in his overall game and as a Captain on this team I expect him to show by example. I expect a Captain to be a game changer when things are not looking too good, when we need that spark. It does not need to be a goal but as a Captain I expect Landy to be a game changer in other way, maybe a hit, maybe a great pass, maybe a takeway, someting that our prospects like Jost, Kerfoot, Vladie, Compher can look and learn from Landy.

This is where I stopped reading. Save for the lockout year and last year (where the whole team sucked), you could pencil him in for a minimum of 20+ goals and 50+ points. He’s a model of statistical consistency.

I think this is another example of certain posters having expectations that are simply too high.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Um, seriously? I would like a little clarification on this before I laugh you off the internet (if warranted).

If you are talking best Swedish captain of the Avs....yes, by default.

If you are talking most talented Swedish captain of Tre Kronor, I would like to point out Zetterberg, Sundin or some scrub named Lidstrom.
Same list for the NHL, but add another bender by the name of Forsberg, or even Alfredsson. And maybe others I am forgetting.

I'm talking about captain/leadership talent now, obviously not a ranking between the most successful Swedish captains.

If talking about captain/leadership talent Landeskog is for me outstanding because he doesn't have any real weaknesses.

For me Landeskog is combining Swedish/Nordic and American personalities and ways of thinking and playing hockey in a very good way.

- Fluent in English
- Almost like Lidstrom was sometimes called "Mr Perfect" and "The perfect human" Landeskog don't have any real flaws or scandals behind him (except perhaps when playing the Wild which is fully understandable). This is a guy you can trust, always.
- Outgoing/social kind of guy, no problem talking in front of large audiences etc, true leadership talent
- He is both able to be diplomatic in a Swedish way but also tough in a North American way, he is not afraid to speak and take leadership when necessary.
- In a very un-swedish way he is ready to stand up for a his team mates and even fight when necessary. Swedish NHL fighters hardly exist, ever, the only one I can think of now is Douglas "Crankshaft" Murray (I miss this guy so much...).
- Finally he is a good hockey player being able to lead by example, not always, not every game but many times.

Well, this is the way I see it, my personal view, Landeskog have all it takes for becoming a great captain and he has been a captain through his entire career.

Landeskog was amazingly good when young and during his NHL rookie year, not to forget debuting in SHL as a 16 year old (?!) thus the expectations became huge and I miss some of his intensity and I wish he could add some weight becoming more a true power forward type of player. Remember when Landeskog had 5 or more shots and hits in almost every game and working his ass off. It hurts but maybe he isn't a true first line player but I will always like Landy anyway. Perhaps the serious concussion changed him a little bit too (mentally and the way he is playing hockey), not sure. I would LOVE him to take the next step in the development though, sometimes almost feeling like he had his peak between approximately 17-22 years of age (hopefully not).

Last edited:

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Toews is like Paul Stastny without the passing but a better shot. I dont know whose comparing Jost to Toews but thats not the first thing I see when I see Jost. Jost really is more like Zach Parise.

Me either. Honestly, I see a bit of ROR in him, and bare in mind, ROR was 3C for quite some time while he adjusted. I'd need to see more explosion and skill to see him develop like ROR, but I see Jost at ROR's original skill when he started. I'm not ripping Jost everyone. I just think if we are competing for a Cup, Jost is a 3C for us.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This is where I stopped reading. Save for the lockout year and last year (where the whole team sucked), you could pencil him in for a minimum of 20+ goals and 50+ points. He’s a model of statistical consistency.

I think this is another example of certain posters having expectations that are simply too high.
The term consistency is too broad for you to be able to say this with such certainty. It comes down to what you base consistency on. If you use full seasons it means you'd consider guys like Landeskog and Duchene consistent players because over the course of the full season pretty much every season looks consistent. For me I look at games throughout the season and those two would be the opposite of consistent. They have stints of great play and stints of horrid play. To me they're inconsistent because you don't know what you're going to get night in and night out. You do know what you'll get year in and year out though so I see why you consider it consistent. Just comes down to your usage of the word consistent.

Reactions: avsfan09

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Me either. Honestly, I see a bit of ROR in him, and bare in mind, ROR was 3C for quite some time while he adjusted. I'd need to see more explosion and skill to see him develop like ROR, but I see Jost at ROR's original skill when he started. I'm not ripping Jost everyone. I just think if we are competing for a Cup, Jost is a 3C for us.

Jost will be our 2nd line center Sea Ealges. You are going to see it for yourself pretty soon. He just needs to develop physically.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Hey guys, Sabres fan here. I view our prospect Casey Mittelstadt a lot like your guy here, Jost - picked in similar spots and with similar production post-draft. Casey is a little beneath Jost's scoring rate, but it's pretty close.

I personally am not sure what I'd prefer for Casey's development next year, so I'll ask what your thoughts are on Jost's path. It looks like Jost got a few games after college last year, and then has played mostly in the NHL this year, with some shelter, and some respectable rookie production. It also looks like Casey will be signed to get a couple games this year and then play in the AHL playoffs maybe, so again a similarity between the two.

Do you think this path has been the best for Tyson, is there anything you would have done differently? And how is he being used in the NHL now, and would you change that at all or are the Avs doing a good job maximizing his development, getting him the challenges that will help him grow the quickest without overwhelming him/killing confidence?

Thanks.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Hey guys, Sabres fan here. I view our prospect Casey Mittelstadt a lot like your guy here, Jost - picked in similar spots and with similar production post-draft. Casey is a little beneath Jost's scoring rate, but it's pretty close.

I personally am not sure what I'd prefer for Casey's development next year, so I'll ask what your thoughts are on Jost's path. It looks like Jost got a few games after college last year, and then has played mostly in the NHL this year, with some shelter, and some respectable rookie production. It also looks like Casey will be signed to get a couple games this year and then play in the AHL playoffs maybe, so again a similarity between the two.

Do you think this path has been the best for Tyson, is there anything you would have done differently? And how is he being used in the NHL now, and would you change that at all or are the Avs doing a good job maximizing his development, getting him the challenges that will help him grow the quickest without overwhelming him/killing confidence?

Thanks.

There is a lot of mixed opinion on it. I would have liked to see him play most of this year in the AHL, or one more year in college. Jost does not have the frame Casey does though.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Jost was hit with some early injuries to start the season and that messed up his start for the first few months. I thought he really started to show well in the new year but I would have liked to see him stay another year in college and build up his body some more.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I was one of the loudest members of the leave Jost in the AHL to adapt to man strength before calling him up after a couple of months, camp. And with his early season injuries Tyson did struggle to start the season making me suspect his transition may have been smoother at the lower AHL level.

But I also think Mittelstadt is pretty different from Jost. He has more raw talent but is also more raw. So leave him in college and give him some games after his college season ends next year. let him fight for a spot in camp after that but if he doesn’t look ready for scoring role, let him start the year in Rochacha

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Thanks.

I disagree with my compatriots. Bring him up! He's ready. If they use him at C (which I assume they will be) then he'll be getting favorable matchups while O'Reilly takes on the opposition's toughest, and the opposition's top checkers will be focused on Eichel. And if they put him on the wing, well, there could be worse things than to play alongside one of those two guys.

Jost is going through some growing pains, that's all. I don't think it's a big deal that he didn't get more time in the NCAA or the AHL. I think he'll be a very good player when all is said and done but not an elite talent. I think Mittelstadt will be a stud however. Boterill's real focus IMO needs to be upgrading that blueline. Guhle will be a great addition but IMO they need more.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Thanks.
Jost was on a much better team and got to play with Boeser. Even though I really like Tyson as a player, I suggest that Mittelstadt has more gamebreaking talent offencively. Jost's development path was top notch since I value North Dakota as one of the top hockey programs in North America. Minnesota isn't too far behind the list, but they haven't been the same since the last couple of years in the WCHA. The problem with Jost is he always had the talent to play in the NHL, but was underdeveloped physically and lacked solid skating structure. Due to both of these problems I would not advise Jost's path if Mittelstadt suffers from the same weaknesses. Jost probably should be finishing up his sophomore season with North Dakota right now instead of playing in the NHL. And I say this as him being one of the Avs better forwards for the past two months. He still gets knocked around a bit too often for me and his first couple of steps are still quite lackluster.

Now for Mittelstadt, he is already a better skater than Jost which goes a long way in the modern style of the NHL. Mittelstadt also has about nine pounds on Jost, but that could be due to his frame ratio than anything else. I remember that his father called him chubby and that he didn't have the best combine numbers tells me he's a late bloomer. Because of that, it wouldn't hurt keeping him for another season in Big 10 even if it sucks not having him for your club next season. However, it also wouldn't entirely hurt signing him, allowing him to get some AHL action this year, have a whole offseason to bulk up, and then play him top 6 minutes throughout the AHL next year. But personally for me, I really like the Red Wings style of development where they over-saturate their prospects and keep them longer than other teams. I don't see confidence as being an issue here for Casey, it's more about how devoted he is to improve his body for the NHL game since he clearly has the talent.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Hehehe. I still think Jost would make an elite 3rd line center.
Is he Mackinnon or Kadri talent? No, but they are elite.

Jost has a massive place on our team, and I do think he's capable of 40-50 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad