Prospect Info: Tyson Jost selected 10th overall

avalancheboi

Nov 16, 2018
Aurora
This miss on a high pick would normally hurt a team but we have enough talent on our roster and in the pipeline I’m not worried. Honestly don’t think we’ll get much for him, maybe a prospect or young player who also hasn’t lived up to his potential.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This miss on a high pick would normally hurt a team but we have enough talent on our roster and in the pipeline I’m not worried. Honestly don’t think we’ll get much for him, maybe a prospect or young player who also hasn’t lived up to his potential.

Well...it still hurts. Big giant whiffs in 2014 and 2016 (2015 was also a giant miss with everything but that one big Finnish winger picked 10th overall, so that definitely helps) leave this team with a lot less organizational depth than they would normally have. I think if they hadn't done so poorly in those two drafts Sakic would've swung a deal by now. In fact, they're without that most coveted of tradeable assets--a 2nd rounder--because they had to trade for a scoring line winger to fill out the depth.

So...yeah, unfortunately for Jost to be nothing more than a marginal 4th liner still hurts this team, but thankfully not overtly so.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think it's a combination of his technique being excellent (apparently), Jost being a gym rat with really well developed legs already, and simply that at those lower levels (NCAA, TC & BCHL) his skating was an advantage over most players he ever came up against...

That's crazy to me. You watch him in the NHL and he's an effin' plodder.

By that notion Makar must've looked like The Flash when he played for UMass.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

lol true...there are reasons why I've started to caveat the s*** out of my own thoughts on any given prospects' skating unless its far too either extreme.

and yeah some kids do make it much easier to tell that their tools are truly special and not just special for their level. Cale (like MemCup MacK) just jumped off the freakin screen, which made it a lot easier to see that wherever his development went, his explosiveness would continue to be special at the next level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokecheque

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Jost doesn't have a future here, it's best for us and for him to part ways now. MacKinnon - Kadri - Compher - PAB - Bowers - Kamanev and Newhook in the waiting.

Jost needs to go to a center needy team who can play him in their top 9 consistently. Maybe a slower team where Jost's skating won't leave him behind so much.

No Nuke?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Was it really a miss though? Jost could quite easily end up being the 10th best player of that draft. Probably went where he should have.

And I am not a fan of his at all.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Was it really a miss though? Jost could quite easily end up being the 10th best player of that draft. Probably went where he should have.

And I am not a fan of his at all.
Quite easily is a bit of a stretch. As others catch up, he'll almost certainly drop below 10th on the career points list from that class. 10th overall picks rarely end up Mikko, but it's still a miss if they end up just Jost.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Personally, I never saw much in Jost as a player. I get the hype about his character, and he seems to be well loved by his teammates. But the only time I have ever seen him play like a 1st rounder was last year against San Jose. In that series he was a genuine #2 center and playing awesome. This season has been no better than before, or no worse really. He just doesn't seem to be an NHL player at this point. That being said, he's only 21 and I think he has room to develop.

I really think though the best thing for him and the team would be if he were traded to a team that plays a slower, more grinding style. I don't think he'll ever be what the Avs need.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

The most underrated aspect of Jost's skating issues is that he has a bad habit of not moving his feet enough. He's got Tanguay syndrome. He has to move his feet constantly to be successful.

When he's moving his feet, he's got decent speed, and it's not much of an issue. This is what he does in games where he's playing his best, causing turnovers, and creating scoring chances.

His first couple steps are an issue, but it's more so that he tries to play a puck protection game in the corners too much, and his lineaments let him do it by not supporting him, but rather backing away to find the soft spots to receive passes.

Problem is it ends in turnovers too often and the pass never happens. If his first couple steps were better, he'd be more elusive, but since they're not, he needs to move the puck quicker.

Avs are just the worst fit for him in the league stylistically with their off the rush style, and Bednar's skating demands to play his system. On top of those being bad fits for Jost's preferred down low cycle game, I think it tires him out during games too. He's most effective early in most games.

Almost any other team in the league would be a better fit for him IMO.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Posted this in the trade thread but figured it’s relevant here too:

I bet these last three days have been absolute hell for Tyson Jost. He must feel like the most relieved guy on the planet right now. Knowing what almost happened and knowing why can happen in the offseason, I hope he plays out of his mind for the next 3 months to try to prove he deserves to stick around.

Unfortunately I still think Jost playing out of his mind will still be pretty useless, but let’s hope for some extra fire.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Posted this in the trade thread but figured it’s relevant here too:

I bet these last three days have been absolute hell for Tyson Jost. He must feel like the most relieved guy on the planet right now. Knowing what almost happened and knowing why can happen in the offseason, I hope he plays out of his mind for the next 3 months to try to prove he deserves to stick around.

Unfortunately I still think Jost playing out of his mind will still be pretty useless, but let’s hope for some extra fire.

I mentioned this in the TDL thread too. I think he started to lose all confidence when he was mentioned in the Hall rumors, and the idea of his draft team giving up on him became a big distraction.

He's probably still likely to be moved in the off season, but sticking with the team for its Cup run could be a weight off his shoulders. He's got time to find his game a bit more and see how his life changes down the line over the summer.

Even if he doesn't reach his potential, or lock down the #3C spot, any improvement would be helpful for him and the team.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
upload_2020-2-24_18-23-29.gif

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I'm glad he wasn't traded, there was no value there for him. Our best move is just to let him play and keep trying to get bigger/stronger/faster. Its not like he is hurting the team defensively.

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
I'm glad he wasn't traded, there was no value there for him. Our best move is just to let him play and keep trying to get bigger/stronger/faster. Its not like he is hurting the team defensively.
Yeah he may kill some plays in the offensive zone losing battles along the boards but he rarely makes mistakes in his own end.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yeah he may kill some plays in the offensive zone losing battles along the boards but he rarely makes mistakes in his own end.

Yup and we do not lack other players who can carry our offense (once we are healthy). If he does get stronger/faster, he can be a net positive.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The most underrated aspect of Jost's skating issues is that he has a bad habit of not moving his feet enough. He's got Tanguay syndrome. He has to move his feet constantly to be successful.

When he's moving his feet, he's got decent speed, and it's not much of an issue. This is what he does in games where he's playing his best, causing turnovers, and creating scoring chances.

His first couple steps are an issue, but it's more so that he tries to play a puck protection game in the corners too much, and his lineaments let him do it by not supporting him, but rather backing away to find the soft spots to receive passes.

Problem is it ends in turnovers too often and the pass never happens. If his first couple steps were better, he'd be more elusive, but since they're not, he needs to move the puck quicker.

Avs are just the worst fit for him in the league stylistically with their off the rush style, and Bednar's skating demands to play his system. On top of those being bad fits for Jost's preferred down low cycle game, I think it tires him out during games too. He's most effective early in most games.

Almost any other team in the league would be a better fit for him IMO.

Ya I've definitely seen some shifts where Jost looked very fast, but he needed to have several steps to get to that speed. I think we can play a low cycle game at times though; but for that to happen Jost needs to be paired with big (grinding) guys. He looked good with Wilson/Landeskog, but awful with Kerfoot/Compher.

If Nieto leaves; I hope we replace him with a bigger grinder to add a line that plays a different style.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The only thing Kam is good at is face offs and getting blown up and hurt. I’ve hardly ever noticed him ever when he plays. He even scored at worse rate than Jost. I just don’t see how he’s better than Jost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad