Prospect Info: Tyson Jost selected 10th overall

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I've found that the majority of the people who irrationally rag on Landeskog are people who want their favourite player to be captain without much understanding of how such things work.

Remember all the people that wanted Matt Duchene as captain so badly and continuously brought it up? Yeah, they're the perfect example of that. And I'm sure those same wrong people are clamoring for MacKinnon to be the captain now. They're also most likely the same people that believe Tyson Barrie is a top-pairing D and our best defenseman.

Well put. That probably is the case. My favourite player on this team is Mackinnon but I dont care if hes captain. There was only one time where I questioned Landeskogs captaincy and that was the day he received it (Wanted ROR to be our Captain) I haven't called his C into question. Ragging on his poor play on the ice is one thing but to constantly call his captaincy into question after he misses a pass is a whole other thing.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
BTW I didn't say best, I said 2nd and 3rd best in NHL history

Edit: obviously there will be lots of other 10th overalls who coujld pass them in the future but as of now no.

Teemu is definitely #1. While they will put up some good numbers I'm sure, Bobby Holik had a pretty good career (2 cups and 2-time all-star) and was taken #10 the year after Selanne. But yeah, both appear to have better upsides than many other #10s.

Other interesting names taken at #10 since 1980: Jim Fox, Martin Lapointe, Jocelyn Thibault, Radek Dvorak, Andrei Kostitsyn, Luc Bourdon (RIP), and Cody Hodgson (who we all know is better than Duchene thanks to Canuckleheads.)

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Back to Jost. ...hes been fantastic over the last month now. It looks like hes getting better and better with each game. When he figures it all out hes gonna be a very good one for us.
Some people ridiculously compared him to Jonathan Toews. If he ends up 25% of Toews quality, I'd be very happy. His ceiling is 3C tops to me.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Jost really isn't much like Toews. He can be very dynamic with the puck, we're starting to see that in the NHL now. Toews is certainly skilled himself, but it's not as much as part of his game as his elite two-way play and work around the net. Jost has more raw puck skill, but a lot less of the "intangibles" that Toews is known for.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Jost really isn't much like Toews. He can be very dynamic with the puck, we're starting to see that in the NHL now. Toews is certainly skilled himself, but it's not as much as part of his game as his elite two-way play and work around the net. Jost has more raw puck skill, but a lot less of the "intangibles" that Toews is known for.

Then there is the size thing.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
You are wrong, Finns are crazy about hockey and almost all of them know who Rantanen is.
If you are relatively young and happen to play ice hockey and from finland, then yes you absolutely know who Rantanen is. Others not so much. Up until recently this season, iltalehti has started to brought up Rantanen News with Laine Press and Aho Tribune. I mean he's relatively unknown still

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
As much of a joke as saying his ceiling is a 3C

I understand he's 19, so he probably has a lot of strength and conditioning to come, but I don't see the skill and wheels to be a raw number 2. YES, he might become a 2C here in Colorado, but I'd put that down to lack of depth down the middle skill wise, than him being a legit #2. Quality 2-way 3C capable of putting up 15-20 goals, and another 15-20 assists, but that's where I see him. Bednar is playing him on the 4th line right now, which is good development wise, but I think he as a ways to go.

Suggesting that, versus he is Jonathan Toews, sorry - your perception is way off track.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This is kind of hilarious to read from Sea Eagles. The guy who is overly optimistic over just about everything, is overly negative towards one of the guys who deserves his optimistic praise?

:laugh: Jost most definitely has a ceiling significantly higher then that of a 3C, and his play the last month suggests he's already at or above that level of a player.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Got it. You have the "team's leading scorer must be Captain" syndrome.

That is not what I said. Landy does not need to be our top leading goal scorer to be our Captain. Landy needs to be more consistant in his overall game and as a Captain on this team I expect him to show by example. I expect a Captain to be a game changer when things are not looking too good, when we need that spark. It does not need to be a goal but as a Captain I expect Landy to be a game changer in other way, maybe a hit, maybe a great pass, maybe a takeway, someting that our prospects like Jost, Kerfoot, Vladie, Compher can look and learn from Landy.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Some people ridiculously compared him to Jonathan Toews. If he ends up 25% of Toews quality, I'd be very happy. His ceiling is 3C tops to me.

Toews is like Paul Stastny without the passing but a better shot. I dont know whose comparing Jost to Toews but thats not the first thing I see when I see Jost. Jost really is more like Zach Parise.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Someone mentioned it earlier but I see a lot of Evgeny Kuznetsov in Jost. Not as much patience but that's to be expected because very few hold onto the puck like Kuzy but similar playing styles offensively.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
If you are relatively young and happen to play ice hockey and from finland, then yes you absolutely know who Rantanen is. Others not so much. Up until recently this season, iltalehti has started to brought up Rantanen News with Laine Press and Aho Tribune. I mean he's relatively unknown still
Yep. People who don't follow hockey won't know him. It's a select group but that's not the case with Selänne, Saku Koivu and possibly a few others. And then there's another group of people of casual hockey followers, I suspect, who do know the likes of Mikko Koivu, Tuomo Ruutu, Granlund and Laine, "but who's this Rantanen?"

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Talent wise Landy is the best Swedish captain of all time, no one close to him....

Um, seriously? I would like a little clarification on this before I laugh you off the internet (if warranted).

If you are talking best Swedish captain of the Avs....yes, by default.

If you are talking most talented Swedish captain of Tre Kronor, I would like to point out Zetterberg, Sundin or some scrub named Lidstrom.
Same list for the NHL, but add another bender by the name of Forsberg, or even Alfredsson. And maybe others I am forgetting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad