Prospect Info: Tyson Jost selected 10th overall

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Welcome!

Don't know a ton about him but everything I've heard so far sounds good. Looking forward to learning more about him now.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Is this a sexy pick? Nope.

But is this a pick who can help the Avs not only on the ice, but also in depth scoring, and off the ice? Absolutely.

I would have preferred Sergachev or Nylander falling to our pick, but hey what can you do? Avs did the best of what they had in a below-average draft and seemed like their options dwindled to him or Brown. I admit I am EXTREMELY happy that he's going to North Dakota though - great organization and he will get some serious practice time and teammates to play for.

FYI his rights are held by Everett Silvertips, but sounds like he wants to play in the NCAA and will report for them.

Reactions: MaKarter

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I learned more about his mother than I did about him on Sportsnet

We had a nice montage by Button of him being compared to Jonathan Toews on NBCSN. :D Definitely not as talented, but a work horse with a heavy shot, and good amount of IQ ability to go alongside underrated agility, playmaking, and stickhandling (still needs to improve his overall skating though). Did not watch him too much since he wasn't in the WHL, but seems like one of those players with very few weaknesses, even if his overall ceiling is that of a 2nd or very good 3rd line centre.

Beat McDavids U18 point record for Canada.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
For what it's worth, the analytic folks like this pick a lot.

He wasn't my first choice but happy with it. Too bad UND doesn't visit DU this year.

This is encouraging to see. I hope he becomes the Connor of this draft because that would just be another feather in the hat of our new scouting staff, following the Rantanen selection.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm happy. I know people will be upset we didn't draft a D, buy this guy fills a big, big hole left when ROR got moved. Maybe he won't become THAT good, but players of his skill set and style do not come around every day. This was a smart long term move to add a two-way guy to our future core.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
Btw, any interview links would be much appreciated. Was he the only one not interviewed on tv?

if you are watching NBCSN in the states they have hardly interviewed any of the players except Americans

Matthews was the only interview of the top 5 even

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
My choice was one of Serg, Brown or Jost so I'm very happy with this pick. Little tap in the back as I was one of first ones (if not the first) to mention Jost a few months back as a very good fit for the Avs. The Parise comparison are spot on I think. He has a great motor, a great hockey sense and he did fantastic at the combine. Getting the C at the U18 coming from the BCHL is quite an accomplishment and is a testament to his leadership.

This guy was brought up the right way for sure. Just a great kid.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't like that we hear the exact same things about Jost than what we were hearing after the Bleackley pick. Almost word for word (great leadership, 2-way center, not the best skater, etc). I'm about as underwhelmed as I was back then TBH. We'll see.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad