Prospect Info: Tyson Jost selected 10th overall

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
a difficult decision, not really, it's an easy one

Crosby is a captain

McDavid is a captain

MacKinnon would probably be a great captain for the Avs?

Duchene gets traded, it officially becomes MacKinnon's team and he becomes a Hart contender.

If MacKinnon gets named captain he will start burning down countries in his spare time between 5 point nights.

Reactions: McMetal

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
If in some strange world Landeskog is traded or retires soon and Mack isn’t named captain, ej would hands down be the next Captain. He might even be ahead of Mack on the pecking order. Definitely not jost

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
When I meant trading Landy, I did not mean to say trade him now, but in a few years unless we get some crazy good offer. By that time we will see what we have in Vladie Kamenev or other players. Landy as a captain has not been consistant this seaon maybe due to loosing some of that physical power forward game.

Personally I think him being inconsistent this year is a myth. I think the issue is that the bar some people have for a player like him that plays such a physically demanding style, to play at the same level of effectiveness for 82 games is unrealistic. Even when he's lost his scoring touch like he has the last few weeks, he's still contributing a hell of a lot.

It confuses the hell out of me too when people claim he loses battles. Nobody on the team wins more battles than him. His style is geared around winning battles, as opposed to a skill based one. Since his rookie year, the only player that is in the conversation with him in that area is ROR, and he hasn't been here in three years.

It's not like he's making a ton of money either. He only makes about $750k more than Soda, and he's on pace for almost twice as many goals and points with 28 goals, and 61 points.

For reference, Duchene made almost half a million more than Landy, doesn't bring anywhere near the amount of intangibles, physicality, and two way play, and only had more than 28 goals once, and more than 61 points twice.

ROR only had one season where he produced more than what Landy is on pace for, when he had 28 goals, and 64 points, and he's been making $1-2M more than Landy since 2013-14.

Last edited:

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
I actually question whether the constant questioning from people regarding Landeskog's leadership (or any leader across any sports / group) has actually put time into either working in a similar role or studying it at all. There is absolutely no way for, myself included, to have a good idea regarding the actual capabilities of these people without actually being a part of that lockerroom (or at the very least having first hand knowledge from people in the room).

I'm unsure why his on-ice results (which by the way, as hench pointed out have been on par with what every team in the league would desire so I am unsure why they are pointed at as some sort of negative) seem to always be the go to for the argument either.

You can go through any form of research on pretty much any leadership topic (Coach-Athlete Relationships, Transformational Leadership, Multidimensional Model of Leadership, Emotionally Intelligent Leadership, etc.) and struggle to come up with a logical argument for or against an individual without having access to understand the dynamics of the team or individuals. The information presently available just from reading assorted articles and watching games just isn't enough to account for the number of variables, even ignoring on ice play, that need to come into play and I'm sure that the organization didn't just pick Landeskog because he was a young high draft pick. Whether it is something noticed by those of us away from the rink with these guys, I'm sure a large majority experience some proxy efficacy towards the approach that Landeskog (and numerous others on the team) have.

I'm sure that outside of Landeskog that there are quite a few people on the team that would feel comfortable, either now or at some point in the future, acting as a member of the captaincy for the team (and be fully capable of doing so successfully as well). However without the organization having a legitimate reason, I fail to see a reason to even consider switching it. I understand the desire to discuss everything about the team, especially when thing are going poorly / players aren't playing up to par, but I just don't understand the desire to try and bring players down based on things that there is no reasonable way to know the answer given what the organization provides as information.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I've found that the majority of the people who irrationally rag on Landeskog are people who want their favourite player to be captain without much understanding of how such things work.

Remember all the people that wanted Matt Duchene as captain so badly and continuously brought it up? Yeah, they're the perfect example of that. And I'm sure those same wrong people are clamoring for MacKinnon to be the captain now. They're also most likely the same people that believe Tyson Barrie is a top-pairing D and our best defenseman.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
When Jost consistently puts up 60+ point seasons you can believe me then or quote me. Feb 23/2018

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Many of them actually do, ranking Laine as nr 5 among Finnish players right now, Rantanen, Granlund, Aho and Barkov ranked higher, read this thread
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/patrik-laine-mod-warning-in-op.2450147/page-4
Majority of Finnish people dont even know who Rantanen is, all you hear is Laine or Aho here. They know him as "the finnish guy in Colorado." It's different to rank player according to seasonal statistics than how good they really are. Rantanen leads the finnish scoreboard so Rantanen is better... Not that simple imo

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Majority of Finnish people dont even know who Rantanen is, all you hear is Laine or Aho here. They know him as "the finnish guy in Colorado." It's different to rank player according to seasonal statistics than how good they really are. Rantanen leads the finnish scoreboard so Rantanen is better... Not that simple imo

If I'm a GM and have to choose between Rantanen, Laine, Granlund, Barkov or Aho, I take Barkov no questions asked. Then I'd take Laine based on his pure goalscoring ability, but it's a toss up between him and Rantanen. I love Rants' complete and nearly flawless game.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
If I'm a GM and have to choose between Rantanen, Laine, Granlund, Barkov or Aho, I take Barkov no questions asked. Then I'd take Laine based on his pure goalscoring ability, but it's a toss up between him and Rantanen. I love Rants' complete and nearly flawless game.

and I would take Laine no questions asked

I like 50 goal scorers and I foresee Laine will become one within 2-3 seasons

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

You are wrong, Finns are crazy about hockey and almost all of them know who Rantanen is.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
so you think that the best player = best captain ???

Not necessarily, I love Landy but if you try something for many years and it doesn't work then perhaps a change is necessary anyway.

Talent wise Landy is the best Swedish captain of all time, no one close to him but if doesn't work then a change could be necessary anyway. Landy is fluent in English, outspoken (not shy), socially skilled and a born leader, even standing up for his team taking a fight or two when necessary.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not necessarily, I love Landy but if you try something for many years and it doesn't work then perhaps a change is necessary anyway.

Talent wise Landy is the best Swedish captain of all time, no one close to him but if doesn't work then a change could be necessary anyway. Landy is fluent in English, outspoken (not shy), socially skilled a born leader.

I'm starting to suspect that "21" is actually Nemeth's HF account. First the over-the-top defense of his play, and now this locker-room insight that could only come from someone on the team.

Things are starting to add up...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
As for Landeskog, he has been and continues to be exactly as advertised when he was drafted.

As for the captaincy, guaranteed if he were traded tomorrow and one of MacKinnon or Johnson were given the C, it would only be a matter of time before their leadership were questioned as well. How many people openly complained about Joe Sakic because he wasn't vocal enough?

As for Jost, I'd like to see him tried more at center. I feel the next step for him (and Kerfoot as well) is to find ways to use the open ice more. Right now both of them are trying to get it done along the boards, and all it takes is a guy pinning them to create a turnover. It's just not gonna work if they continue to do that.

Now of course I said Kerf should be used as a wing, so I'm contradicting myself a bit but what can ya do?

Reactions: McMetal

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I'm starting to suspect that "21" is actually Nemeth's HF account. First the over-the-top defense of his play, and now this locker-room insight that could only come from someone on the team.

Things are starting to add up...

Nemeth has been really good defensively, most people see this except from some guys here on the Avs forum. Fantastic pickup from Sakic and Bednar obviously believe in him too, our PK stats looking really good and of course Nemeth has a big role in this.

About Landy, I love him, mixing Europan technique with North American type of hockey in a way I love, but in the same way.... If he gets stuck in a role (being a captain) which doesn't give/get the results the Avalanche wants then perhaps a change will be necessary? How many years are you willing to give him as a Captain before giving up, 10 or more?

This is how you a manage a business, if something isn't working you change it.

I also think Landy may be better fit on a second line but not until somebody else is ready to fill his role on the first line.

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
I just think that being a Captain, you need to bring more to the table, Landy just has not developed to be that power forward that he was touted to. He does not have those silky hands, great vision and a great shot. He does not even go in front of the net all that often the past few years. We already have lost a handful of games this season that were in some way, directly related to Landeskog's play. He should be showing by example to our younger players. If we want to be a playoff team and go on a deeper playoff runs in the future, I am not sure if Landy as a Captain will be able to carry us. Just look at other teams Captains, I think that most are more consistant on a game to game basis then Landy is. Thats just my opinion.

Got it. You have the "team's leading scorer must be Captain" syndrome.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nemeth has been really good defensively, most people see this except from some guys here on the Avs forum. Fantastic pickup from Sakic and Bednar obviously believe in him too, our PK stats looking really good and of course Nemeth has a big role in this.

About Landy, I love him, mixing Europan technique with North American type of hockey in a way I love, but in the same way.... If he gets stuck in a role (being a captain) which doesn't give/get the results the Avalanche wants then perhaps a change will be necessary? How many years are you willing to give him as a Captain before giving up, 10 or more?

This is how you a manage a business, if something isn't working you change it.

I also think Landy may be better fit on a second line but not until somebody else is ready to fill his role on the first line.

Joke_You.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad