Tyson Barrie

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Fact, Tyson Barrie is a fat midget.
Fact, the Colorado Avalanche have never won a cup without Tyson Barrie.
Therefore, the Colorado Avalanche can’t win unless everyone on the team is 6’3” plus.

We really should take a look at adding Myers, he’s really tall.

Sure..trade Barrie for secondary scoring help. Trade for a guy from a team that needs cap relief and sign Myers..

- Trade our 2nd for JT Miller and Ryan Callahan

- Trade Tyson Barrie for Nazim Kadri and Kasperi Kapanen

- Sign Tyler Myers. 9 goals, 22 assists. 20:21 TOI

Draft

4th D- Bowen Byram
16th LW- Arthur Kaliyev

Boom. There's our 2nd line and Barries replacement. Fantastic idea.

Landeskog- MacKinnon- Kapanen
Miller- Kadri- Rantanen
Jost- Compher- Kerfoot
Nieto- Soderberg- Calvert

Girard - Makar
Zadorov - Myers
Cole - EJ

Grubauer
Francouz

Prospects:

D- Bowen Byram
D- Connor Timmins
LW- Arthur Kaliyev
C- Shane Bowers
C- Vlad Kaminev
RW- Martin Kaut

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Not going to read through all the insanity that I'm sure is in this thread, but one topic that was discussed months ago that I'd be down for is a Barrie-Nylander trade, assuming Sakic was forced to deal Barrie.

Nylander's stock and reputation (in Toronto, anyway) are in the toilet. But I definitely think he's still going to be a lower end 1st liner, basically in the same vein as his old man.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
PIT won back to back cups with 5 guys that were 6ft or below: Pouliot (16), Daley (both), Ruhwedel (both), Streit (both), Letang (16...hurt all of 17). They did have other, bigger, D in each year, including Cole.

This year, BOS has Clifton, Grzelcyk, Krug and McAvoy all at or below 6ft. STL has Del Zotto (0 PO games) and Dunn.

You say keeping Barrie means one of Makar or Girard has to play PK. I say so what? Makar is big enough for the size queens at 6'1" and 192. And most definitely skilled enough. He may not be Zadorov strong....but we have Zadorov. No denying that Girard is small. But there is also no denying that he is supremely smart, and has a great stick. Pair him with Z and let the big guy do big guy things. Have the other pairing be also big guys to be the muscle. Don't have to have all 4 be bruisers.

As for the questions posed earlier in the thread...

1. we have no idea what Barrie would ask, nor do we know what Sakic will want to pay him. Not a question we can answer, so no answer will ever be right.

2. Makar could be 4th PK, Girard in a pinch (just have to run it a bit diff....make sure his partner is the one clearing the crease, Girard can scramble and puck hound.)

3. Answered above....the current SCF favorite has 4 at/below 6ft.

4. Barrie is our secondary scoring. Trading him for a forward that produces about the same points is a wash. Fair value would be getting someone that outscores Barrie, as D scoring is at a premium.

I am not against trading Barrie. I am against trading him at a loss. If we could get a top 5 pick plus out of him, great. Barrie is an elite Off. D. He was 7th in D scoring this year. For comparison, MacKinnon was 7th in forward scoring. Rantanen was 17th. An equivalent forward to Barrie as a D would be a point per game player.

Reactions: Ivan13
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
PIT won back to back cups with 5 guys that were 6ft or below: Pouliot (16), Daley (both), Ruhwedel (both), Streit (both), Letang (16...hurt all of 17). They did have other, bigger, D in each year, including Cole.

This year, BOS has Clifton, Grzelcyk, Krug and McAvoy all at or below 6ft. STL has Del Zotto (0 PO games) and Dunn.

You say keeping Barrie means one of Makar or Girard has to play PK. I say so what? Makar is big enough for the size queens at 6'1" and 192. And most definitely skilled enough. He may not be Zadorov strong....but we have Zadorov. No denying that Girard is small. But there is also no denying that he is supremely smart, and has a great stick. Pair him with Z and let the big guy do big guy things. Have the other pairing be also big guys to be the muscle. Don't have to have all 4 be bruisers.

1. we have no idea what Barrie would ask, nor do we know what Sakic will want to pay him. Not a question we can answer, so no answer will ever be right.

2. Makar could be 4th PK, Girard in a pinch (just have to run it a bit diff....make sure his partner is the one clearing the crease, Girard can scramble and puck hound.)

4. Barrie is our secondary scoring. Trading him for a forward that produces about the same points is a wash. Fair value would be getting someone that outscores Barrie, as D scoring is at a premium.

I am not against trading Barrie. I am against trading him at a loss. If we could get a top 5 pick plus out of him, great. Barrie is an elite Off. D. He was 7th in D scoring this year. For comparison, MacKinnon was 7th in forward scoring. Rantanen was 17th. An equivalent forward to Barrie as a D would be a point per game player.

You make some good points but what you fail to notice is that Boston has Chara who is 6’9”, he is so big he overcomes the other players vertical limitations. The Blues have several big boys who aren’t as big as Chara but are still big. If the Avs want a chance they’ll need Zadorov as well as Myers.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016

Finally a logical post without someone slinging insults and others who hold a different opinion of Barrie.

But for the record:

Pouliot played 22 games in 16
Streit played 19 games in 17
Ruhwedel played 34 in 17 and none in 16

None of those 3 played a big role at all played a combined 11 games in the playoffs those 2 years.

And Daley much better defensively than his size.

And in those cup winning teams they had:

2015/16

Along with Justin Shultz and Kris Letang:

24 games- Brian Dumolin 6'4, 210
24 games- Ben Lovejoy 6'1, 205
24 games- Ian Cole 6'2, 220
18 games- Oli Matta 6'2, 210

2016/17

Along with Shultz and Daley:

25 games- Ron Hainsey 6'3, 205
25 games- Brian Dumolin 6'4, 210
25 games- Oli Matta 6'2, 210
25 games- Ian Cole 6'2, 220

I know what you are trying to say but it didn't work.

Last edited:

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Very nice post.

You ask if we trade Barrie who replaces him? Well I think we saw it in the playoffs that Makar is ready to take over that role. I think Makar will be better offensively than Barrie and it is just a matter of time before he takes over on the PP1 group. Makar is also better in our defensive already. That leaves the PP2 for Barrie but since we have Girard for that role where does that leave Barrie?

It leaves us with a guy who will be getting paid 7m a year like some suggest and who will not be spoon fed minutes with MacKinnon and co. I guarantee we will see his point total drastically decline and since he offers nothing defensively and has to be sheltered from defensive responsibilities it's a contract that we dont need.

As for being the best D core in the league? Well I guess it all depends on what you value from our Dmen. I look at all the top teams in the league and the past SC winners and none of them have 3 undersized defensive liabilities on the back end. The game isn't changing that much and its evident by the two teams in the Cup final this year.

We have two elite puck movers in Makar and Girard, which is more than most team have, and a lack of secondary scoring. It seems logical to move Barrie for a forward to pair with Rantanen on the 2nd line and roll 2 scoring lines. Teams wont be able to match up vs the MacKinnon line. And we still have a very good top 5 D with Makar, Girard, EJ, Cole and Z. Add in another beast on the back end and to kill penalties and we are right up there with the top teams in the league.

Just by reading some of the posts on here i'm going to assume you want 6ft or taller guys. So i'm going to base my post off that.

I'm worried Makar doesn't completely work out next year. If we trade Barrie we're putting a lot of pressure on the kid and if he doesn't work out/excel at whatever situation we put him in it could be a failure of a year.

Who is actually replacing him though? Some big, slow, UFA defensive defenseman that is just cap space wasted in a few years when we have no use for him and can't get rid him? No thanks.

Who currently has a better D core than us?

We should trade Johnson for a better shutdown defenseman. Never realized the guy is 6'4. Plays like he's a bit bigger than Barrie.

I'd personally like to see what we can do with the 16 overall and our prospect pool also what we can add via UFA to our forward core.

Before trading our best D core in more than a decade I would like to see what we could accomplish with it after just being an offside call away from being in the conference finals.

But yes, there is probably going to be a time where one of Girard, Barrie or Makar will have to go, either for cap space, or it just doesn't work out. I just don't think during Makars rookie season will be the best time to.

Last edited:

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Just by reading some of the posts on here i'm going to assume you want 6ft or taller guys. So i'm going to base my post off that.

I'm worried Makar doesn't completely work out next year. If we trade Barrie we're putting a lot of pressure on the kid and if he doesn't work out/excel at whatever situation we put him in it could be a failure of a year.

Who is actually replacing him though? Some big, slow, UFA defensive defenseman that is just cap space wasted in a few years when we have no use for him and can't get rid him? No thanks.

Who currently has a better D core than us?

We should trade Johnson for a better shutdown defenseman. Never realized the guy is 6'4. Plays like he's a bit bigger than Barrie.

I'd personally like to see what we can do with the 16 overall and our prospect pool also what we can add via UFA to our forward core.

Before trading our best D core in more than a decade I would like to see what we could accomplish with it after just being an offside call away from being in the conference finals.

But yes, there is probably going to be a time where one of Girard, Barrie or Makar will have to go, either for cap space, or it just doesn't work out. I just don't think during Makars rookie season will be the best time to.

Yes. I'm old school. I like big old bruising dmen. The impact they make cannot be measured and they change the game. That said every team needs a PP QB or 2. I just have concerns with us having 3. If that small, skilled guy can play stout D then I'm all for it. Problem is our guys can't.

I like Barrie but I'd rather have Nemeth at 2.5 mil per as well as a forward like Gustav Nyquist for 5 mil per than having to pay Barrie 7 mil per.

Look at it this way:

Tyson Barrie 7 mil per

Or

Gustav Nyquist 5 mil per
Patrick Nemeth 2.5 mil per

So for around the same money we get a 60 point top 6 forward and a reliable veteran Dman for our bottom pairing and an excellent penalty killer.

Then we turn around and flip Barrie.

Nazim Kadri 4.5 mil per
Kasperi Kapanen 2.5 mil per

So you either keep Barrie or add potentially 4 solid players and fix our 2nd line at the same time.

Nyquist 22 goals, 38 assists, 60 points
Kadri 16 goals, 28 assists, 44 points
Kapanen 20 goals, 24 assists, 44 points
Nemeth 17 TOI. 131 blocks. +5

Or

Barrie 14 goals, 45 assists, 59 points

It's an easy decision for me. And we still have piles of money to make a splash signing like Panarin if we want.

As for Makar, the dudes going to be a monster. He showed up in the playoffs and passed the test. We have nothing to worry about with him. And EJ isn't going anywhere. He is still a solid top 4 dman and a team leader.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gatorbait19

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Yes. I'm old school. I like big old bruising dmen. The impact they make cannot be measured and they change the game. That said every team needs a PP QB or 2. I just have concerns with us having 3. If that small, skilled guy can play stout D then I'm all for it. Problem is our guys can't.

I like Barrie but I'd rather have Nemeth at 2.5 mil per as well as a forward like Gustav Nyquist for 5 mil per than having to pay Barrie 7 mil per.

Look at it this way:

Tyson Barrie 7 mil per

Or

Gustav Nyquist 5 mil per

So for around the same money we get a 60 point top 6 forward and a reliable veteran Dman for our bottom pairing and an excellent penalty killer.

Nazim Kadri 4.5 mil per

So you either keep Barrie or add potentially 4 solid players and fix our 2nd line at the same time.

Or

It's an easy decision for me. And we still have piles of money to make a splash signing like Panarin if we want.

As for Makar, the dudes going to be a monster. He showed up in the playoffs and passed the test. We have nothing to worry about with him. And EJ isn't going anywhere. He is still a solid top 4 dman and a team leader.

If he's a top 4 D why is he always bottom pair in your mocks?

Girard - Makar
Zadorov - Myers
Cole - EJ

If you have the 2nd highest paid player on the team playing bottom pairing, that means he shouldn't be on the team. I don't get this love for EJ. He carries a $6,000,000 cap hit on his extremely fragile body. He missed the playoffs last year. This year in the playoffs he got injured AGAIN and was limited to a bottom pairing role. Why keep a guy around who can't even help the team during the playoffs? How amazing would it be to have EJ's $6M cap hit invested in a player who could stay healthy and contribute in our Cup run.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
And the Avs have EJ, Zadorov, Cole and Nemeth (maybe going forward). They have enough meat to go a bit light on on the other half of each pairing. Not like I am advocating drafting Cam York to replace EJ.

You said no recent cup contender had more than D 6ft or under. I proved that to be incorrect. I would hope it would prompt you and those that think as you do to reflect. I am not asking you to change your mind. I am asking you to accept that there is more than one way to win the cup.

Chara is getting rather long in the tooth. He bring leadership still. He does not bring the physical presence he once did.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
But teams don't like to play against the heavy teams like St. Louis and Boston. It's not easy to play against a team that has 4 or 5 monsters on the back end. .
Brandon Carlo: 6'5, 220
Zdeno Chara: 6'9, 250
Charlie McAvoy: 6'0, 208
Connor Clifton: 5'11, 175
Torey Krug: 5'9, 186
Matt Grzelcyk: 5'9, 174

Even their 7th defensemen, Steven Kampfer, is 5'11, 198.

So what the **** are you even talking about?

For your reference, here's the Avs in comparison:

Nikita Zadorov: 6'5, 230
Erik Johnson: 6'4, 225
Ian Cole: 6'1, 219
Cale Makar: 5'11, 187
Tyson Barrie: 5'10, 190
Samuel Girard: 5'10, 162
Patrik Nemeth: 6'3, 219

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario

Look at it this way:

Tyson Barrie 7 mil per

Or

Gustav Nyquist 5 mil per

Nazim Kadri 4.5 mil per

Or

Those trades don't interest me much. I'd personally take Barrie over either of your propositions. If we're trading Barrie it better for a damn star player. What question mark does Nyquist answer?
How do you know this for sure?

As stated before, you even have Johnson penciled in as a 3rd pairing d-man... He's not worth the money nor is he even an average shut down d-man.

By your logic I guess you'd rather have Boychuk and J. Staal over Mcdavid.

If these are your answers for trading Barrie you deserve the hate you're getting around here.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Look at it this way:

Tyson Barrie 7 mil per

Or

Gustav Nyquist 5 mil per

Nazim Kadri 4.5 mil per

Or

I agree in part about size, but big solid players are difficult to locate and rarely traded.

Barrie should be moved though. I don't care if this involves picks, prospects or NHL roster. He will be too costly when cheaper and better alternatives can be available.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I agree in part about size, but big solid players are difficult to locate and rarely traded.

Barrie should be moved though. I don't care if this involves picks, prospects or NHL roster. He will be too costly when cheaper and better alternatives can be available.

And the other Looney Tune finally chimes in with the quality stuff.

:biglaugh:

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

What cheaper and better alternative is going to be available? I get cheaper options, I get better options, I don’t see who could be both.

That’s like your girlfriend breaking up with you and then you yelling “oh yeah‽ well I can easily find a younger, hotter and richer girlfriend!!!!”

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
What cheaper and better alternative is going to be available? I get cheaper options, I get better options, I don’t see who could be both.

That’s like your girlfriend breaking up with you and then you yelling “oh yeah‽ well I can easily find a younger, hotter and richer girlfriend!!!!”

Do you believe Girard or Makar has a sexier trade value than Barrie?

If you agree with just one of the players, you already have one and keeping them in the “friend zone.”

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Brandon Carlo: 6'5, 220
Zdeno Chara: 6'9, 250
Charlie McAvoy: 6'0, 208
Connor Clifton: 5'11, 175
Torey Krug: 5'9, 186
Matt Grzelcyk: 5'9, 174

Even their 7th defensemen, Steven Kampfer, is 5'11, 198.

So what the **** are you even talking about?

For your reference, here's the Avs in comparison:

Nikita Zadorov: 6'5, 230
Erik Johnson: 6'4, 225
Ian Cole: 6'1, 219
Cale Makar: 5'11, 187
Tyson Barrie: 5'10, 190
Samuel Girard: 5'10, 162
Patrik Nemeth: 6'3, 219

Makar is actually listed at 6’1 192 now. :nod:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Do you believe Girard or Makar has a sexier trade value than Barrie?

If you agree with just one of the players, you already have one and keeping them in the “friend zone.”

Makar yes. Girard not really. Girard might be a little bit better defensively but Barrie is basically better than Girard at everything else. Which isn’t a slight at Girard, Barrie is just an elite OFD.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Those trades don't interest me much. I'd personally take Barrie over either of your propositions. If we're trading Barrie it better for a damn star player. What question mark does Nyquist answer?
How do you know this for sure?

As stated before, you even have Johnson penciled in as a 3rd pairing d-man... He's not worth the money nor is he even an average shut down d-man.

By your logic I guess you'd rather have Boychuk and J. Staal over Mcdavid.

If these are your answers for trading Barrie you deserve the hate you're getting around here.

I guess I don't value Barrie as much as you guys do. He is a good offensive defenseman no doubt but I prefer guys who are solid in own end.

The board in here seems to over-value our players. I think when the time comes to trade Barrie some of you will be surprised with the return.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Imagine what must be going on in your head to think Nemeth and Nyquist are a better option than Barrie.

Why? Why is Barrie valued so much? I'd rather take 60 points from a forward and then a defenceman who can actually play defense and prevent goals in Barrie's spot.

And did you forget to mention the return we get for Barrie as well?

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Complete and utter insanity. I've been taking screenshots of this thread to show some buddies just how out of this world some folks are when it comes to the game of hockey. :laugh:

You really couldn't make this kind of nonsense up.

Sure you have.

Make sure to take some screen shots when Barrie is traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00