Tyson Barrie

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
No, we've explained the reasons countless times before. You simply ignore facts to spout nonsense.

But go ahead and post exclusively in this thread about Barrie and do us all a favor please. Or better yet just stop posting your nonsense entirely.

Yeah, that's a two way street.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
So when if we traded Barrie for a forward who is replacing him?
Are we really keeping EJ? Why can't we replace EJ with a forward?

I'd argue our d core with Barrie is one of the best in the NHL, why change that?

People are saying we are too small on the back end. We were a goal away from from tying it to go the 3rd round of the playoffs and we didn't lose because of our defense. We lost because we don't have a solid 2nd line. Why are we taking away from our backend to increase our forward core. That's just going backwards. We have a few pieces outside of Barrie and a lot of cap room of Varly isn't resigned it makes no sense to trade Barrie for a forward.

Very nice post.

You ask if we trade Barrie who replaces him? Well I think we saw it in the playoffs that Makar is ready to take over that role. I think Makar will be better offensively than Barrie and it is just a matter of time before he takes over on the PP1 group. Makar is also better in our defensive already. That leaves the PP2 for Barrie but since we have Girard for that role where does that leave Barrie?

It leaves us with a guy who will be getting paid 7m a year like some suggest and who will not be spoon fed minutes with MacKinnon and co. I guarantee we will see his point total drastically decline and since he offers nothing defensively and has to be sheltered from defensive responsibilities it's a contract that we dont need.

As for being the best D core in the league? Well I guess it all depends on what you value from our Dmen. I look at all the top teams in the league and the past SC winners and none of them have 3 undersized defensive liabilities on the back end. The game isn't changing that much and its evident by the two teams in the Cup final this year.

We have two elite puck movers in Makar and Girard, which is more than most team have, and a lack of secondary scoring. It seems logical to move Barrie for a forward to pair with Rantanen on the 2nd line and roll 2 scoring lines. Teams wont be able to match up vs the MacKinnon line. And we still have a very good top 5 D with Makar, Girard, EJ, Cole and Z. Add in another beast on the back end and to kill penalties and we are right up there with the top teams in the league.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
No, we've explained the reasons countless times before. You simply ignore facts to spout nonsense.

But go ahead and post exclusively in this thread about Barrie and do us all a favor please. Or better yet just stop posting your nonsense entirely.

So your suggestion that Girard or Barrie can be used on the PK isn't nonsense?

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.

But go ahead. Answer those 4 questions In my previous post. I'd like to see some real nonsense.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

But go ahead. Answer those 4 questions In my previous post. I'd like to see some real nonsense.

No its not nonsense. Girard absolutely can be used on the PK and quite frankly I suspect he winds up one of our best PKers in the future.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Love the notion that a 21 and 20 year old Dmen (one who is over 6 feet) can't play d at all. They have peaked and can't improve.

Being some big physical bruiser doesn't mean you know how to defend better than one with good positioning/active stick.

Barrie is too good at what he does, so we should trade him ASAP because we would have too many good players on D.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Makar is the most likely one of the three to play on the PK considering he 1) isn’t undersized and 2) good in his own end

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Makar is the most likely one of the three to play on the PK considering he 1) isn’t undersized and 2) good in his own end

Not to mention if you look around the league... Literally the guy with the most short handed ice time in the entire league this past season was 5'11".

Ryan Ellis led his team in Short Handed Ice time at whopping 5'11" as well. And Jared Spurgeon led his team in Short handed ice time and we all know how big of a boi he is.

And that's completely ignoring the fact that you dont need all 6 of your Dmen to kill penalties. Barrie never has and that's completely fine. Its not the part of his game that he excels at. What he does excel at is creating offense and there's less than 10 Defenseman in the league capable of doing that at the level Barrie is.

It's such a stupid argument I dont even know why I am in this thread still but yet here I am trying to argue with possibly the lowest IQ poster on our boards.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
No its not nonsense. Girard absolutely can be used on the PK and quite frankly I suspect he winds up one of our best PKers in the future.

LMAO.

There we have it. Nothing else needs to be said.

Speaking of IQ, I see you couldn't answer all the questions I asked. Not surprising because you have literally no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Not to mention if you look around the league... Literally the guy with the most short handed ice time in the entire league this past season was 5'11".

Ryan Ellis led his team in Short Handed Ice time at whopping 5'11" as well. And Jared Spurgeon led his team in Short handed ice time and we all know how big of a boi he is.

And that's completely ignoring the fact that you dont need all 6 of your Dmen to kill penalties. Barrie never has and that's completely fine. Its not the part of his game that he excels at. What he does excel at is creating offense and there's less than 10 Defenseman in the league capable of doing that at the level Barrie is.

It's such a stupid argument I dont even know why I am in this thread still but yet here I am trying to argue with possibly the lowest IQ poster on our boards.

When Tyson Barrie or Sam Girard become Ryan Ellis in the defensive zone we will have a whole other discussion on our hands..mainly because hell will have frozen over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Love the notion that a 21 and 20 year old Dmen (one who is over 6 feet) can't play d at all. They have peaked and can't improve.

Being some big physical bruiser doesn't mean you know how to defend better than one with good positioning/active stick.

Barrie is too good at what he does, so we should trade him ASAP because we would have too many good players on D.

This is just complete garbage and shows you have never played the game of hockey. Or the game in which contact is allowed. Ringette doesn't count.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
When Tyson Barrie becomes Ryan Ellis in the defensive zone we will have a whole other discussion on our hands..mainly because hell will have frozen over.

For f***s sakes you are so frustrating.

I literally said Barrie doesn't PK and doesn't need to. You're entire argument from the start here has been based around this f***ing ignorant claim that small Dmen cant kill penalties. I just showed you three examples of Defenseman all well below 6'0" who not only kill penalties, but all of which are in the Top 25 in the NHL for total shorthanded ice time last season including one who has 70 minutes more than any other player in the league.

Unbelievable really how thick skulled you can be. I have never seen anyone worse.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I dont know about Barrie or Girard, but I'm pretty confident Makar will be used on PK in the near future.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont know about Barrie or Girard, but I'm pretty confident Makar will be used on PK in the near future.

I think Girard not only will be, but will be our Top PKer before long. Considering Nemeth is our best PKer at the moment thats not exactly high levels to have to reach. But he's a very smart player with this stick and positionally which are the #1 and #2 attributes you want from PKers. Guys who can get in the passing lanes and are in the right positions to make plays to get the puck back. He's also pretty calm with the puck on his stick in the defensive zone which has value on the PK as well.

I suspect in 2-3 years our PKers on the team will be Girard, Makar, Zadorov(If he's still around) and some random 4th guy. Timmins if he's healthy, Byram if we draft him. Meloche if he ever takes that next step. Or some random free agent we sign for bottom pairing duties and PK work.

Reactions: the_fan

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
This is just complete garbage and shows you have never played the game of hockey. Or the game in which contact is allowed. Ringette doesn't count.

Lol coming from the guy who has 500 posts saying the exact same thing about Barrie and why he needs to be traded. Does size help? Sure, but it isn't the only way to defend (not saying Barrie is a great at defense or Girard doesn't get outmuscled at times), and it's simple minds like you that don't understand that. If it was up to you , we would be back in the Roy days with O'Byrne, O'Brien and co. leading the way cause moAr sIZe ploX.

Is Lidstrom not a good defender? He was like 6 feet and wasn't physical.

Before you go calling other peoples post's garbage, maybe step back and look at your own. You want to sit here and act like you need to be "insert height here" to play good defense.

Love your agenda, making the first post all about how Barrie isn't needed. Keep up the great work.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
For ****s sakes you are so frustrating.

I literally said Barrie doesn't PK and doesn't need to. You're entire argument from the start here has been based around this ****ing ignorant claim that small Dmen cant kill penalties. I just showed you three examples of Defenseman all well below 6'0" who not only kill penalties, but all of which are in the Top 25 in the NHL for total shorthanded ice time last season including one who has 70 minutes more than any other player in the league.

Unbelievable really how thick skulled you can be. I have never seen anyone worse.

Well no sh*t that Barrie cant PK. Is that some news flash that you just came up with? Oh, BTW let's give 7+ mil to a one dimensional player that may have his role reduced. That's frickin beautiful logic right there.

And you just can't grasp the concept that if Barrie is on the team then one of Girard or Makar will have to kill penalties. If you can't see how flawed that is then there is no hope for you.

And I could care less about the 3 guys who are under 6'0 who kill penalties. They are good defenders. Our 3 guys who are under 6'0 are not. How hard is that concept for you to grasp?

And just because you are so friggin dense you cant understand that my stance has nothing to do with the size of a player who kills penalties rather than the defensive abilities then again, you are dumber than I thought.

You're only listening to what you want to because everything else I mentioned will prove you're a fool.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
I think Girard not only will be, but will be our Top PKer before long. Considering Nemeth is our best PKer at the moment thats not exactly high levels to have to reach. But he's a very smart player with this stick and positionally which are the #1 and #2 attributes you want from PKers. Guys who can get in the passing lanes and are in the right positions to make plays to get the puck back. He's also pretty calm with the puck on his stick in the defensive zone which has value on the PK as well.

I suspect in 2-3 years our PKers on the team will be Girard, Makar, Zadorov(If he's still around) and some random 4th guy. Timmins if he's healthy, Byram if we draft him. Meloche if he ever takes that next step. Or some random free agent we sign for bottom pairing duties and PK work.

You truly have no clue what you are talking about do you? And you also have never played the game right?

Smart stick work, calmness, passing lanes means nothing if you get bullied in the corners, cant win a puck battle or move a man infront of the net.

Last I checked the PK means we are 5 on 4. Let's put a 5'9, 165 pound defender in the corner to try to win a puck battle vs two forwards who are no doubt bigger and stronger than him. Good God. What a brilliant idea. Now let's take that 5'9, 165 pound dman and make him try to move a 6'2, 225 pound Pat Maroon from infront of the net who is screening our goalie or win a battle for a loose puck. Yeah, that will go over well.

You truly have never played the game. Its actually comical that you come in here and pretend to know what you are talking about.

I don't know if you know this but the NHL IS a contact sport. This isn't some finesse sport where some small skill guys can outmuscle larger, stronger guys especially short handed. Size and strength beats speed and finesse all day long.

Last edited:

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Barrie is one of the biggest reasons we made the playoffs this year and went to the second round. Lock him up, guy is underrated

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Barrie is one of the biggest reasons we made the playoffs this year and went to the second round. Lock him up, guy is underrated

If we had Makar he would have made the same impact if not a bigger one than Barrie as I feel he is already a better all around player.

So take that same team and add a top 6 forward and how far would have we gone?

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

Kitchen Sink

Jul 13, 2011
Ohio
So take that same team and add a top 6 forward and how far would have we gone?
I think we still lose to San Jose in the second round in that scenario.

This team was not one top six forward away this year. More like two or three. I don't think trading Barrie is the answer though, unless his contract demands are unreasonable.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
2018 Playoffs EJ DNP due to injury
2019 Playoffs EJ limited due to injury

Before we made the POs back-to-back EJ continued to have season ending injuries.

All this talk about having to pay Barrie yet the highest paid D in EJ is only proving how useless of a signing he has been.

Sakic's biggest move the offseason won't be his UFA signing(s) but his much needed trade of EJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad