Confirmed with Link: Tyson Barrie Re-Signs 3 Years @$4.5M AAV

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Its hilarious how disappointed you are that we retained Barrie on a very friendly deal.

You seem extremely but hurt that your prediction of a massive overpay didn’t come true.

I’m not really sure you’re even remotely objective about anything Oiler related anymore. Maybe some downtime during the off-season may do you done good.

You’re the guy who was talking about Larsson being gods gift right? Yeah.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
If he could have got more he would have.

I would add some context and maybe it would be something I could agree with:

If he could have got more with another good team, maybe he would have left. He definitely would have been paid by a rebuilding team.

Hyman turned down more money with a rebuilding team to sign here

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
He absolutely could've gotten more money and guarantee there were offers, who cares if he rides good players coat tails and puts up the most defensive points we've seen in ages lol.
You people are crazy, he re-signed because he wants to play here, same with Hyman, Barrie initially turned down more to come here in the 1st place too. Delusional! lol

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
I'll be honest, I didn't want Barrie extended, because assumed he would ask for a shiny dollar after leading the league in defenseman scoring (on pace for 70pts in a regular season). He just turned 30, so alot of us assumed he would want maybe 4-6 yrs at maybe a 5.5-6.5 AAV. And just like many, I had the assumption he was going to 'block' Evan Bouchard, as the PP quarterback, and maybe still get rotated in and out of the lineup because Barrie has taken his 'role'. But after Bear got traded, that was a clear indication they want Bouchard etched in as one of the 3 right shot blueliners on the the roster.
Then Tyson Barrie signs with us for 3 yrs, 4.5 AAV :thumbu:.

He played with Nurse the majority of the year on the top pairing.
A top pairing defenseman, that also runs the 1st unit powerplay, that had a (on pace for) 70 pt season, is definitely worth 4.5, especially on a 3 year deal. I realized how important he actually was to the success of the team last season, and changed my perspective on Tyson Barrie. And in regards to Evan Bouchard, he's not going to block him, in fact, he's going to evolve him.

He wanted to stay, McDavid and Draisaitl (sending him texts for contract updates) wanted him to stay, and he truly believes this team is going to achieve the ultimate success with a couple generational players on the team.

As an apology to Tyson Barrie, for multiple stupid social media comments I've typed against the re-signing, I'll order his official Jersey, and wear it in public for at least 10 games this season.
Welcome back Tyson

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Good signing but you have to question a guys mental health when he signs for so little and comes back to the Oilers. This is a weird feeling. People want to play here!

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Good signing but you have to question a guys mental health when he signs for so little and comes back to the Oilers. This is a weird feeling. People want to play here!
Gee, its almost like bringing in a GM that used a 'family' atmosphere to maintain a 15-yr dynasty by getting players to sign for less than they are worth was a good idea.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gee, its almost like bringing in a GM that used a 'family' atmosphere to maintain a 15-yr dynasty by getting players to sign for less than they are worth was a good idea.

I think McDavid and Draisaitl and Nurse have more to do with that than anything else.

Players like those guys and want to play with them.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I think McDavid and Draisaitl and Nurse have more to do with that than anything else.

Players like those guys and want to play with them.
Except before Kenny came in their magnetism didn't seem to be enough to get ppl to waive NMCs or keep Pulju in North America.....

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Except before Kenny came in their magnetism didn't seem to be enough to get ppl to waive NMCs or keep Pulju in North America.....

Guys like Lucic (not a popular signing now but at the time he was a high profile signing) and Sekera signed in Edmonton and said straight up it was because of McDavid ... so it's not really all that new.

I doubt Holland could get any of the higher profile people to sign here with no McDavid/Draisaitl.

Reactions: space321

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Guys like Lucic (not a popular signing now but at the time he was a high profile signing) and Sekera signed in Edmonton and said straight up it was because of McDavid ... so it's not really all that new.

I doubt Holland could get any of the higher profile people to sign here with no McDavid/Draisaitl.

You ignored a big part of his point. Holland (and Tippett) were pretty much the only reason why Pulju came back. People can downplay that but he’s easily a top 9 forward that they would have let go for an underwhelming return

Lucic also came here largely in part to being close with his old GM

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Great to see Barrie coming back! On a very good deal as well. I thought and hoped for Barrie/Larsson to be resigned. I never did think it was the case of signing one or the other, and seeing Ceci signed, signing both was probably the idea.

I also think the team-friendly deal could have something to do with Holland intending to really go for it over the next couple of seasons. 2-3 crucial seasons coming up.

Reactions: oilers'72

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
What I find funny is how posters don't understand what offensive dmen do for forwards here are examples . McDavid ppg went from 1.52 ppg to 1.88 a .32 increase Now look at what impact Coffey had when he went from Edmonton to Penguins Mario's PPG went from 1.70 season before to 2.18 an increase of .48 and Coffey only played over half the season the next year with a full year of coffey he set his career high in points and PPg @ 2.62 this is what leading scoring defensemen do for star players
It's a real treat to read this. Very few hockey fans, even the most knowledgeable, don't recognize these facts.

space321

May 11, 2011
You ignored a big part of his point. Holland (and Tippett) were pretty much the only reason why Pulju came back. People can downplay that but he’s easily a top 9 forward that they would have let go for an underwhelming return

Lucic also came here largely in part to being close with his old GM

Source?

Give Puljujarvi some credit for having hte courage to take a step back and gather himself this early in his career. He did that while facing a lot of criticism and hate from some Oiler fans here. Then he comes back and Holland and Tippett get all the credit? Give me a f***ing break lmao

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Really nice to see him sign a team friendly deal.

I'm curious to see how him and Bouchard work together. It'll be nice to have a second true offensive option to toss out there, especially on the odd night where Nurse and Barrie aren't in synch (which was normally a killer last year).

You can also split up McDavid and Draisaitl onto different lines without worrying about the defence beyond the top pairing not being able to get them the puck.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
You’re the guy who was talking about Larsson being gods gift right? Yeah.

God’s gift? Because I put forth an argument that he wasn’t the #6 defenseman that some people were making him out to be?

This kind of hyperbole isn’t healthy, dude.

Reactions: Senor Catface

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Weird how he didn’t cash in. Guess other teams know his numbers are empty calories.

Hard to say. But it isnt hard to say that some team would have taken a flyer on him.

So its likely he wanted to stay and that was the contract we can afford.

Reactions: Oilhawks

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I love Barrie for the player is and this is an excellent contract. Barrie is an under rated part of this team. He's nimble on the breakout and offensively lethal. It's a big win when you manage to resign the NHL's point leader amongst defensemen for 4.5 million a year with not too much term! Holland has made mistakes during his time here for sure but this simply is not one of them.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Source?

Give Puljujarvi some credit for having hte courage to take a step back and gather himself this early in his career. He did that while facing a lot of criticism and hate from some Oiler fans here. Then he comes back and Holland and Tippett get all the credit? Give me a f***ing break lmao

Well, no shit that it was also his decision. From a management position, they were the only reason he felt comfortable coming back. Is this acceptable to you?

“Ken Holland and Dave Tippett were the only reasons that Puljujarvi decided to come back” Or is that still giving them too much credit? I think it would pretty obtuse to give them no credit with how they smoothed out the situation. Most other management teams would have given up on him. There are many many examples of other teams that have given up on trying to get a player to stay. The way this situation has resolved is incredibly rare. Credit to both parties is due

Last edited:

space321

May 11, 2011
Well, no shit that it was also his decision. From a management position, they were the only reason he felt comfortable coming back. Next time I’ll make sure to be very clear about absolutely everything :thumbu:

Yup. Player does well, it's all b/c of good management.

Player does shit, it's his own fault.

That way the management can never be bad!

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Yup. Player does well, it's all b/c of good management.

Player does shit, it's his own fault.

That way the management can never be bad!

I never said that. You’re welcome to stop putting words in my mouth and read my edited post. I’ll save you the trouble of going to look at it by posting it below.

“Ken Holland and Dave Tippett were the only reasons that Puljujarvi decided to come back” Or is that still giving them too much credit? I think it would pretty obtuse to give them no credit with how they smoothed out the situation. Most other management teams would have given up on him. There are many many examples of other teams that have given up on trying to get a player to stay. The way this situation has resolved is incredibly rare. Credit to both parties is due

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad