Confirmed with Link: Tyson Barrie Re-Signs 3 Years @$4.5M AAV

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
With the exception of Kulikov who played 10 games, every d-man on the team cratered away from McDavid in basically every possible metric. Adam Larsson included. That fact is by no means limited to Tyson Barrie.
Obviously but the claim was Barrie was “fine” away from McDavid.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
When are people going to stop using the "he was tied McDavids hip" argument. Who cares?

The fact he can produce with McDavid is a good thing. You couldnt just throw Ethan Bear in the same slot and expect the same results.

Must be the same people who put less value on powerplay goals. Guess what? Our powerplay is the best the league and that's a good thing.

1. He spends a higher percentage of his 5v5 icetime with McDavid than any other Oilers D from the last three or four years. No telling how other D would perform given that kind of cherry icetime.
2. He's actually a drag on McDavid's numbers.
3. McDavid is an elite outscorer no matter who you put him with so even if Barrie did juice 97's stats (and there's nothing to say he does: see point #2), you're paying $4.5M to pad the numbers while the rest of the roster struggles to put the puck in the net.
4. The power play thing is a non sequiter, no one "puts less value on powerplay goals".

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
1. He spends a higher percentage of his 5v5 icetime with McDavid than any other Oilers D from the last three or four years. No telling how other D would perform given that kind of cherry icetime.
2. He's actually a drag on McDavid's numbers.
3. McDavid is an elite outscorer no matter who you put him with so even if Barrie did juice 97's stats (and there's nothing to say he does: see point #2), you're paying $4.5M to pad the numbers while the rest of the roster struggles to put the puck in the net.
4. The power play thing is a non sequiter, no one "puts less value on powerplay goals".
The fact that our best players all wanted him back trumps all of this. He's on a reasonable deal and he gels well with the guys who really matter. Money well spent.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Barrie has always produced with skilled players.
Drai/McD were a line most of the year.

This year we are going to have 2 solid lines and a decent third.

Theoretically Barrie's range of chances in contributing has broadened

GOilers88

Dec 24, 2016
"Our best players wanted him back which matters more than actual results" is a galaxy brain take.
It means that all this bullshit about McDavid "babysitting" him and being dragged down by him doesn't mean a damn thing in my books. I'll put more weight into what McDavid thinks is good for McDavid over what a bunch of people throwing numbers around on the internet think is good for McDavid.

There's literally nothing at all anyone can complain about with this contract for this player and what he brings. But it would be an incredibly Oilers thing to do to complain about bringing back the highest scoring defenseman in the league on a very fair contract who is also a perfect fit with the core of the team.

You mention results and then seem to ignore the actual results.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Barrie, Keith and Bouchard = a solid puck mover on every pairing. Nurse really took great strides in that area as well last season.

We're cornering a market on offensive D production. My lord, a wealth of resource and 200ft player here, and Barrie is better defensively than acknowledged here. He is a player that will take risks for offense, but when playing with superstars the risk is less than the potential reward.

To his credit Tippett green lights jump D here, which is what he said he would and he's been true to that. Nurse and Barrie both having career production years is testament to that.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It means that all this bullshit about McDavid "babysitting" him and being dragged down by him doesn't mean a damn thing in my books. I'll put more weight into what McDavid thinks is good for McDavid over what a bunch of people throwing numbers around on the internet think is good for McDavid.

There's literally nothing at all anyone can complain about with this contract for this player and what he brings. But it would be an incredibly Oilers thing to do to complain about bringing back the highest scoring defenseman in the league on a very fair contract who is also a perfect fit with the core of the team.

You mention results and then seem to ignore the actual results.

Because there’s more to the game than cheap second assists.

GOilers88

Dec 24, 2016
Which is irrelevant to the point about players apparently knowing best.
It's not about knowing best. It's about acknowledging when guys are great fits for the team and provide tangible results.

Not only did Barrie provide results last year, he's also apparently a great fit with the boys. And he signed a good contract to stay here. You can show all the numbers in the world and say he brings McDavid down, but those numbers aren't going to convince me of anything other than graphs and charts are the worst part of this website.

I'm really surprised you're so upset about this team bringing back the leading defensive scorer on a pretty damn solid contract when this team has been searching for a offensively sound blueliner for f***ing years. There's 5 other defensemen that can help pick up whatever defensive slack he may incur. He's a great fit with McDrai and they have good chemistry. That's all that should matter at this price.

Last edited:

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
What’s cool about a situation where one group of players spends like 70% of their 5v5 ice time together is you can tease out the individual impacts from the WOWY. Or you can ignore the numbers and look at how the coach deployed that group and see how the percentage of time Barrie spent stapled to 97 increased dramatically after the first few games because it was obvious that he couldn’t cut it as an offensive driver or a decent defender and needed cherry minutes to have success.

I'm not an advanced analytics guy, but if Barrie contributes an incremental amount (A) in offensive production when paired with McDavid vs. when not paired with him (B), it doesn't matter if B < A. You should be looking at McDavid's production with and without Barrie to understand Barrie's incremental value to the team.

At the end of the day, the numbers are NOT the only factor. Team dynamic and culture is not necessarily quantifiable at the individual level. You want to keep McDavid and other team members happy and that trumps whatever minimal incremental improvements your fancy stats might drive.

This is a great value signing for a solid contributor. I expected Barrie would want $5M+, so I'm extremely happy he took a discount.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yeah theres also goals and first assists and making good plays at the offensive point to keep the puck in, keep PP working, keep our team having puck possession. Barrie is kind of like our version of Letang. Not as good with the puck, but he contributes to possession much the same. I don't know why you seem to dislike this player so much.

Last edited:

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Man, getting points with McDavid and worthless secondary assists are SO easy that must be why we have defensemen in the top 20 in scoring every single year since McDavid came into the league.
Yep, it's an awful argument, reductionism at it's best..If it were that easy anyone would do it, barrie is very good at moving the puck and being an offensive D..his D however not great/

Reactions: Senor Catface

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Yeah theres goals and first assists and making good plays at the offensive point to keep the puck in, keep PP working, keep our team having puck possession. Barrie is kind of like our version of Letang. Not as good with the puck, but he contributes to possession much the same. I don't know wny you seem to dislike this player so much.
As soon as someone makes up their mind, they refuse to listen to reason and will bash that player over and over...Barrie is an asset on any team, you just need other defensemen to play shut down D..He helps the offense and puck movement in a big way. More to his game then "Secondary Assists"....that's an stupid argument. Great contract to boot.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As soon as someone makes up their mind, they refuse to listen to reason and will bash that player over and over...Barrie is an asset on any team, you just need other defensemen to play shut down D..He helps the offense and puck movement in a big way. More to his game then "Secondary Assists"....that's an stupid argument. Great contract to boot.

Yep, Its a damn solid contract, great term for us in the window that we require it. This contract is basically like a gift that says "hey Oilers, what do you need me to do to help, how long, and for attractive price. This is classic accepting a discount to play on a club one wants to play on. Which by Edmonton standards should be seen as a great thing. We don't get this value contract for somebody with elite skills so often.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’m actually amazed people are upset over this. He’s going to score 65 points this upcoming season and he gets paid 2nd pairing money.

I even wonder if people somehow look at his pts totals and say to themselves "well thats not so great" inspite of it occurring in a substantially reduced 56GP Covid season.

I mean the pts pace is incredible and something we haven't been seeing since Pronger.

If Barrie played in Paul Coffey circa times he would exceed PPG player.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Man, getting points with McDavid and worthless secondary assists are SO easy that must be why we have defensemen in the top 20 in scoring every single year since McDavid came into the league.

I get what you're saying but perspective. Has any other Oiler dman before Barrie had the same targeted icetime w/ McDrai as him? full 2 minute PP's to boot?

Barrie has had some troubling and scary #'s in both Col and TO when the coaches got away from "targeting" his icetime and tried to spread him out

There's a reason Off -Dmen such as Gustaffson, Shatty, Green, etc get moved from team to team and rarely see full careers. It's a rarity you see guys like Yandle do it for so long

Last edited:
Reactions: Senor Catface

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I even wonder if people somehow look at his pts totals and say to themselves "well thats not so great" inspite of it occurring in a substantially reduced 56GP Covid season.

I mean the pts pace is incredible and something we haven't been seeing since Pronger.

If Barrie played in Paul Coffey circa times he would exceed PPG player.

Except Pronger could be used to defend also

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I get what you're saying but perspective. Has any other dman before Barrie had the same targeted icetime w/ McDrai as him? 2 full minute PP's to boot?

Klefbom got more PP time per game in 19-20 then Barrie last year, and Barrie produced far better.

That includes much better 1st assist stats on the PP, which shows he's not leeching off other player's production.

upload_2021-7-30_16-42-2.png

He's a flawed player, but I think if putting up points with McDavid was so easy (which some people are arguing), we would see more results with our d-men then we have seen.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Cheap 2nd assists are the best kind of assists. Get puck possession get the puck to your dangerous players, they score.

As opposed to get the puck, get stripped or forchecked because you cannot move it fast enough or you are so conservative you just bank the puck off the boards rather than look for one of your skilled players.

I am perfectly happy having a dman getting a ton of 2nd assists

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad