Tyson Barrie Discussion

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Good article in the Athletic today by Tulloch on what is to blame for the Leafs problems.

The problem - Defence - what are the specific problems with the defence?

Failure to activate the D on the breakout.
Failure to activate the D on the forecheck.
Too many low danger shots from the point (The Hakstol effect) instead of the D activating for a pass or a closer shot.

The fix for all those would be for D like Barrie to play like D like Barrie always have before. Trading Barrie for a stay at home D who just bombs shots from the point would be the exact way to exacerbate the problem.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Muzzin-Zaitsev was nice.

Oddly enough, double ducks been better for the Sens with no PP time while being used in a defensive role.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Our transition and breakout systems are not conducive to his style.
Are you sure that he’s just not sulking from being traded maybe Colorado promise to sign him for big contract in the summer there is some food for thought?

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
On a side note
observation of the day hmmmmm

Why is it that all of a sudden , Leaf era Dion Phaneuf would look great in the our line up with the skill set he had with us ?
We haven’t had a D man since that shoots hard , plays hard , hits , sticks up for his teammates , plays dirty , has leadership qualities , has swagger with meanness to his game since hmmmm

Reactions: Duffman955

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Was the plan to win a Cup with Barrie?
If Babcock stays as coach, Barrie will be used as is.
Remember all the conversations we had on asset management a while back?
JVR gone, Gardiner gone, Muzzin, Barrie, Ceci UFA. No 1st last year, no 1st this year.

If we are still out of the playoffs after American Thanksgiving do what needs to be done.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
So third pairing tonight, let’s see how he does in that matchup..

That GF% stat that someone posted last page was ugly. We go from 7th best to league worst AINEC without and with Barrie on the ice.. Yikes.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He's brutal lmao.
He’s better than Cody Ceci, which is who he was traded for.

Not sure if you watched the pregame, but the Leafs are getting torched on the cycle - Can you name one of the only strengths of Nikita Zaitsev?

Hmmm.

The only thing brutal, is the idea you can measure this sort of thing in ‘metrics’.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
He’s better than Cody Ceci, which is who he was traded for.

Not sure if you watched the pregame, but the Leafs are getting torched on the cycle - Can you name one of the only strengths of Nikita Zaitsev?

Hmmm.

The only thing brutal, is the idea you can measure this sort of thing in ‘metrics’.

Recency bias at its finest.

You do realize Zaitsev would get involved in the cycle, and then do nothing with the puck. That's literally the reason Zaitsev was stuck in his own zone 24/7.

It's hilarious he's being praised now that he's gone for being able to break up the cycle, when Leaf fans were literally pulling their hairs out watching Zaitsev in his own zone last year.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Recency bias at its finest.

You do realize Zaitsev would get involved in the cycle, and then do nothing with the puck. That's literally the reason Zaitsev was stuck in his own zone 24/7.

It's hilarious he's being praised now that he's gone for being able to break up the cycle, when Leaf fans were literally pulling their hairs out watching Zaitsev in his own zone last year.
No recency bias whatsoever. Refer back over a year when I was one of few on both the Leafs board and main trade board who said the Leafs would miss Zaitsev without an adequate replacement.

I said if they’re trading him to clear cap that they’d almost assuredly lose. I’ve been 100% consistent on this. Even before the trade request became public.

Dubas managed to trade him for an inferior player and promptly gave said inferior player that very same money. :facepalm:

You can’t make this **** up. :laugh:

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
No recency bias whatsoever. Refer back over a year when I was one of few on both the Leafs board and main trade board who said the Leafs would miss Zaitsev without an adequate replacement.

I said if they’re trading him to clear cap that they’d almost assuredly lose. I’ve been 100% consistent on this. Even before the trade request became public.

Dubas managed to trade him for an inferior player and promptly gave said inferior player that very same money. :facepalm:

You can’t make this **** up. :laugh:
Agree with you 100%.

That is why I was so surprised to see that Ceci was coming back the other way in that trade. Ceci is not going to replace what Zaitsev was able to do here, that what I thought when hearing about the trade.

The Leafs and the Sens kind of getting closer in the standings, lol.

Last year, Ceci and Zaitsev played on different teams and the standing looked different too.

That is the world of Leafs land under Dubas. He found a new way to screw it up.

:silly:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I've seen enough of this guy. If we are getting calls on him, I say make the move. Don't care what comes back. He should not be here, for is sake and the teams.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I've seen enough of this guy. If we are getting calls on him, I say make the move. Don't care what comes back. He should not be here, for is sake and the teams.
Barrie came from a small market team to the center of the hockey universe, or so we are told.

It takes a different mentality to play in Toronto apparently.

What we are seeing in Barrie is a player who is choking.

Choke that chicken . . . choke it good!

:dunce:

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
We won't get anything for him at this point. He's only 2.5 mil cap hit with the retained money. And we're selling from a position of weakness as usual. He'll have a trade value of exactly what his cap hit it. Team has to sign him next year.

We're stuck cause we won't get anything substantial for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad