Player Discussion Tyler Toffoli

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I doubt the Jackets trade a number one D for a winger, after having just traded their future number 1 center for a winger, let alone considerations of Toffoli's age and ranking among wingers compared to Jones' ranking among Dmen leaguewide.
Habs fans : "it's been so long we have not had a great goal scorer" - > get Toffoli on a great contract. The same fans : "How about we try to trade him for a D who will likely not want to stay after one year except for a great overpayment that MTL cannot even afford given the cap space"

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Habs fans : "it's been so long we have not had a great goal scorer" - > get Toffoli on a great contract. The same fans : "How about we try to trade him for a D who will likely not want to stay after one year except for a great overpayment that MTL cannot even afford given the cap space"

Getting a player like Seth Jones would supersede a lot of other needs. Remember, Weber and Petry will soon be gone. But anyways, we're not getting Jones for Toffoli.

And Toffoli is a gem anyways.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I doubt the Jackets trade a number one D for a winger, after having just traded their future number 1 center for a winger, let alone considerations of Toffoli's age and ranking among wingers compared to Jones' ranking among Dmen leaguewide.
Thats why i said a key piece.. remember Jones has 1 yr left before UFA.. toffoli locked up for a while. We may have to throw in a 1st this year

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Thats smart asset management actually. That’s the only thing Bergevin hasn’t shown he’s able to do. He typically holds on to players during their peak and then lets them walk for nothing.

Then again, how can you trade a player that says he was born to be a Hab and then backs it up by making diving plays to prevent a goal in a 1 goal game.

Which GM's doesn't do that though?

And it would be great "asset" management, in a game.
In real life, I doubt that MB can trade Toffoli and it going well with the other guys in the room. Sounds great "mathematically", but as soon as players equate overperforming and getting traded they won't want to play here

Reactions: Doc5

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
Which GM's doesn't do that though?

And it would be great "asset" management, in a game.
In real life, I doubt that MB can trade Toffoli and it going well with the other guys in the room. Sounds great "mathematically", but as soon as players equate overperforming and getting traded they won't want to play here

True, it not stock trading, we talk about human who value security and stability. If you always flip player, Ufa will not come here, it already an hard market to play in.

Reactions: 74 others

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah I would only trade for Seth Jones with an extension.

Adding a 1st isn't enough.

If we loose Chiarot to Seattle, I would imagine going after Jones (with extension) and move Petry to the LD side? In any trade we make, Drouin has to be included for cap reasons and it's not negative value. I'm certainly interested in Jones but cap needs to be managed.

Petry / Jones
Edmundson / Weber

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If we loose Chiarot to Seattle, I would imagine going after Jones (with extension) and move Petry to the LD side? In any trade we make, Drouin has to be included for cap reasons and it's not negative value. I'm certainly interested in Jones but cap needs to be managed.

Petry / Jones
Edmundson / Weber

I really hope we're able to move Drouin to Seattle.

If we can get a big fish like seth Jones, I'm additionally willing to do what it takes to move Byron amd Anderson to make the cap space.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I really hope we're able to move Drouin to Seattle.

I like to gamble and I would not even take a wild guess at where Drouin is next season. Too much negativity around him and I always hate unloading players at their low point. He might land in Seattle. Not sure

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well, lets say he agrees to longterm.
Absolutely: Toffoli, 1st, 1st, 3rd

I think they will be looking for younger assets vs Toffoli. It's all rebuild mode now with the Blue Jackets. During the rebuild, they could just go and sign guys like Tatar.

With Eichel or Jones, I would have pieces like picks, KK, and Romanov on the table (with Drouin as the cap guy going the other way). Might not work but that's where I start and I then wait to see what others are offering.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well, lets say he agrees to longterm.
Absolutely: Toffoli, 1st, 1st, 3rd
if you were columbus, would you do that deal? our 1st this year is at best 28th overall. And adding Seth Jones doesn't bode well for us picking in the lottery next year.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Bergevin bet on defence and Price staying hot every series.
He never addressed the lack of finish on offence, and tried to fill in the last 2 defence spots with Gustafson and Merrill to make up for offensive defensemen.

He needs to get fired or resign.

Toffoli was a great add, but he’s too slow for this series,

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
he hasn't been noticeable in the scf at all. gone quiet since scoring big goals in the first 3 rounds
He's been average at best but don't forget this guy was on pace for way higher than what he does average and yet he's still #2 in points this offseason , can't really blame him , bad timing to go cold but pretty much everyone went cold against Tampa except Perry.

we signed him to play on our third line left wing with KK and he ended up on the first line and not by default at only 4m a year.

Can't ask more from him.

Gallagher Danault Anderson are the one that should be giving way more. It's not normal that Perry KK Suzuki and Caufield and even the 4th line have more offensive stats than those 3 players who are terribly overpaid for what they provide.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Worst player on the ice in Game 3 and that’s tough to do with Gus
Nah, that's Josh Anderson.

And how do you expect Toffoli to do anything when Caufield turns the puck over on every single shift...

Plus having two shooters on the same line isn't working when the whole team has no offense.

Reactions: shanewalsh

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
He had a great season, better than so many others on the team and one playoff game makes you a hater. Toffoli is the reason why the Habs made it this far.
Who said anything about being a hater? He was terrible in Game 3, no sugar coating it. Don’t want him traded off the team because of one game

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...needs to be placed on another line, preferably Kotkaniemi's...Anderson would look better with Suzuki & Caufield and Toffoli would look better with Kotkaniemi...

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
All players go through up's and downs, so it's important to take a step back and consider the entire year of work relative to the initial expectation.

Toffoli raised the bar in terms of internal expectation this year, which should tell us that he's had a darn good season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad