Player Discussion Tyler Toffoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Not a horrible trade in a vacuum, but doesn’t fit the rest of the idea. We’re now a completely cap strapped team with no flexibility, with important expiring contracts coming up, a medicoure prospect pool lacking impact potential players and now down a first and second.

In the context of...this is Benning's only one-year window, it makes a lot of sense. This is as good as the team will be in the Benning era. So he's gotta capitalize on it.

Toffoli is a very good player. He'll help. The team isn't where it should be but...the eggs are all in this basket now. So hopefully we go on a run.

Reactions: mossey3535

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
I think we gave way too much for this to be a rental player. So I don't think he is a rental. Didn't like giving up a 2nd seeing we also don't have a 1st. Jimmy just might have given up too much in this trade. If we lose Markie over this it might just open the door for Jimbo and Wisenheimer to be pushed out the door.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think we gave way too much for this to be a rental player. So I don't think he is a rental. Didn't like giving up a 2nd seeing we also don't have a 1st. Jimmy just might have given up too much in this trade. If we lose Markie over this it might just open the door for Jimbo and Wisenheimer to be pushed out the door.
Whether it's a good deal or not likely depends on how they perform for the remainder of the season.

Absolutely they need to make the playoffs or else Benning and Green should be fired.

But, a first round loss is an unacceptable outcome to trade what they did. Don't want to hear about playoff revenue. Paying Goldy and Sven NHL salaries to play in the A is on the ownership group for okaying Jim's spending. Plus guys like Eriksson, Beagle, Myers got front loaded contracts so it's cost them way more than the cap hits to get to this point.

A second round exit is a push IMO. If you hate the deal, you have reason to hate it and if you like the deal you would have reason to like it.

A trip to the WCF, I think we would have to classify it as a win. Only other times the Canucks would have advanced past round 2 were their 3 Finals appearances. So, it would be a big deal. Even that Gillis era team only got past round 2 the one time to the finals. And given the Pacific division is pretty much a coin flip in any series, there;s a chance. Are the Canucks better than the top 3 Central teams? I'd say no. But, they would only have to play 1 of them in the playoffs. So, anything can happen.

But, that's how I would judge the success of this trade.

Kind of disappointed that Benning didn't push the 2nd rounder into a year where we at least had a 1st rounder. Or that he wasn't able to send Sven the other way to clear cap room next season.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Tyler Taffolli seems to me like a Sven Baertschi without the injury woes.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Whether it's a good deal or not likely depends on how they perform for the remainder of the season.

Absolutely they need to make the playoffs or else Benning and Green should be fired.

But, a first round loss is an unacceptable outcome to trade what they did. Don't want to hear about playoff revenue. Paying Goldy and Sven NHL salaries to play in the A is on the ownership group for okaying Jim's spending. Plus guys like Eriksson, Beagle, Myers got front loaded contracts so it's cost them way more than the cap hits to get to this point.

A second round exit is a push IMO. If you hate the deal, you have reason to hate it and if you like the deal you would have reason to like it.

A trip to the WCF, I think we would have to classify it as a win. Only other times the Canucks would have advanced past round 2 were their 3 Finals appearances. So, it would be a big deal. Even that Gillis era team only got past round 2 the one time to the finals. And given the Pacific division is pretty much a coin flip in any series, there;s a chance. Are the Canucks better than the top 3 Central teams? I'd say no. But, they would only have to play 1 of them in the playoffs. So, anything can happen.

But, that's how I would judge the success of this trade.

Kind of disappointed that Benning didn't push the 2nd rounder into a year where we at least had a 1st rounder. Or that he wasn't able to send Sven the other way to clear cap room next season.

I like our chances against the Blues, we seem to have the Blues number.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Since the Stanley Cup years, Tofoli's career with the Kings has waxed and waned. Last season was one of his worst in the NHL,but then Willie D was his coach, so I guess we can cut him some slack. And obviously having a nice bounce-back season this year

He's bit of a mucker and grinder who scores a lot of his goals from around the crease...and the Canucks have too few of those types. He won't be an offensive replacement for Boeser, but is definitely a top six on this team.

But sadly if any of Sutter, Eriksson or even Roussel and the injured Ferland had shown any ability to fill-in as top-six wingers, then maybe Benning doesn't have to make this deal. But the topic has been beaten to death. Even though they're being paid as if they were top-nine forwards, none of them is really capable of stepping up.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Since the Stanley Cup years, Tofoli's career with the Kings has waxed and waned. Last season was one of his worst in the NHL,but then Willie D was his coach, so I guess we can cut him some slack. And obviously having a nice bounce-back season this year

He's bit of a mucker and grinder who scores a lot of his goals from around the crease...and the Canucks have too few of those types. He won't be an offensive replacement for Boeser, but is definitely a top six on this team.

But sadly if any of Sutter, Eriksson or even Roussel and the injured Ferland had shown any ability to fill-in as top-six wingers, then maybe Benning doesn't have to make this deal. But the topic has been beaten to death. Even though they're being paid as if they were top-nine forwards, none of them is really capable of stepping up.
We won’t know if Roussel or Bailey or Mac can filled in or not because Green thinks Eriksson is a treasure

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
Good

Benning traded Madden while his value was high. Although Madden was having a great season statistically, he does not project (size + intangibles) to be a high end scorer in the NHL. Perhaps Benning and co think Madden is going to be a tweener at higher levels. Not good enough to be on the first line but not mature defensively to play on the second or third line. And it’s interesting to see that they decided to dangle Madden and not Hoglander. Could be that LA preferred Madden and Benning caved but I really think the team liked what they saw from Hoglander and probably thinks he’s more likely to make an NHL impact sooner than Madden. Hoglander effectively took Maddens spot on the teams winger depth chart.

Actually really like Toffoli. Think he got lost in the shuffle in LA. Was always dangerous every shift 3 seasons ago. Then injuries got to him. Now LAs lack of talent. And playing for Willie sure doesn’t help. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Toffoli has a resurgence similar to Pearson or Leivo (last season) and even Kovalchuk in Montreal. And also would expect Toffoli to take over for Boeser on the first pp unit as well as the first line. Toffoli could actually go on a streak and take Boesers position. His finish and overall pro style game is that good.

Bad

If you had found out that Benning had traded Madden, you would’ve thought it would be for a player with some term. I don’t think management will have too hard of a time resigning TT (other than dumping contracts) but Benning continues to lose value in trades.

This trade smells of desperation. They need to make the playoffs today. Even if it means sacrificing the next 3 years being in cap hell and potentially driving out the superstars that just so happened to fall in your lap.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think that you guys have a decent chance to re-sign him. Having his best bud Pearson on the team will really help. I bet that Benning is counting on that. I heard one of you say on the trade board that you can afford him next season, but not after that (because your kids coming off ELCs will need big paydays). In that case, I don't see the problem with re-signing him and then worrying about it later. Just make sure that you don't overpay him (having Pearson should help) or re-sign him for too long so that the contract is unmovable, and certainly don't give him a NTC/NMC. If worst comes to worst, you can just trade him after next season. If it's a reasonable contract, someone will take him off of your hands, even if you have to give him away. That's a number of ifs (if the AAV is reasonable, if the term is reasonable and if there's no NTC/NMC after the first year), but, if his next contract is not all of those things, you probably don't want him, anyways.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Kudos to Benning for having the balls to do this. If Toffoli performs and helps us in the playoffs that’s already a win.

We keep talking about prospects... but we have Podzolkin and Hoglander that are IMO better players then Madden.

It’s time we go for it. We were critical of the JT miller trade, But JT Miller has become a first line player for us.

We have Petterson, Hughes, Boeser and Horvat. It’s time we surround them with good players.

Go Canucks go.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Tyler Taffolli seems to me like a Sven Baertschi without the injury woes.

Not totally true. Doesn't have the huge issues Baertschi had but he had real trouble coming back to top form after a serious knee injury a couple of years ago.

Comments about Toffoli going back to LA is part of the nightmare scenario - Canucks miss the playoffs and lose Madden and a 2nd for nothing.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
If what people are saying about Toffoli being crappy defensively, then no one should be expecting him to play along side Horvat while Boeser is out.
Should be picturing Toffoli along side Pettersson.

Keeps the Horvat line strong defensively while 6 is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille