Player Discussion Tyler Toffoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Trade hinges on him resigning.

Like the player, not sure about giving up Madden. That guy could be a gamer.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
This is a Tyler Toffoli thread
Kings fan here in peace.

I like this move for you guys. You bring in another guy with playoff experience and Parson's friend and linemate.

Toffoli is streaky . But he is also a big game player.

I hope you guys win the divison and have a deep run

Cheers.

Where did Toffoli line up on the PP?

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
He was an underrated part of the LA cup teams and the 70s line. Loved him as a player.

I just hope his game hasn't fallen off a cliff.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Kings fan here in peace.

I like this move for you guys. You bring in another guy with playoff experience and Parson's friend and linemate.

how's his shot? going into the dirty areas. which the canucks need to learn to do. ive seen glimpses of his scoring from previous seasons. but not much this year.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This trade boils down to three questions. How do we retain him with our cap situation, did we need to make a move this season, and did we move too the right assets for the player we're getting, did we target the right player?

The first is one that none of us can answer and is strongly colored by how you view Benning's cap management skills. Obviously his depth signings have usually come in and been a case of too much for too long but I don't think we've ever seen Benning in a situation where he's needed to keep a winning team together versus adding to a team that needs work. Thus my take is that we're all going to see how this plays out come June and July this year, if it goes as badly as some people think it will then both the Miller trade, Myers signing, and this move start looking especially awful. If not, then the above all look more like adding key pieces in free agency. As always the truth will be somewhere in between and the subject of years of debate.

The second question is another interesting one. I think the answer here is yes if only because we're better off giving Tampa this season's pick than risking a worst case scenario next year. The injury to Boeser and Ferland being shut down for at least the rest of the season forced Benning's hand. Again, I get the thought that we're a fluke team in a bad division this season and likely to regress next year due to cap crunch but that ship sailed when we signed Miller and saw Hughes step up.

The third question is also a yes. I think of the players we have with similar value to Madden he was the best piece to move. Given that some in LA were hoping for a 1st round pick for Toffoli I think the value is as good as could be expected for this kind of trade. I think that posters need to separate the actual value on both sides of this trade from their perception of the team and Benning. This doesn't mean that you have to like the trade, the other two questions above are more than enough for there to be valid reasons to hate this move.

The final question is an easier one than the others. I think that given who he's replacing, his pedigree, and his production on a bad LA team that he, like Miller, will exceed expectations in his role with our team.

My overall take is that it sucks that Boeser went down and Ferland spent the entire season on the shelf but, that Toffoli is likely to be a good fit for the role we'll see him in. The trade is a win if Benning can successfully work the cap and keep him and other key players this off-season. It's a loss if he can't be retained (or we lose other pieces at his expense) or if we miss the playoffs this season.

EDIT: I didn't realize this wasn't in the trade thread, but given that this thread will have a lot of trade talk in it it works here as well. I'll give a more detailed take on Toffoli sometime in the next day or so once I can dive into his stats.

Last edited:

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Not a horrible trade in a vacuum, but doesn’t fit the rest of the idea. We’re now a completely cap strapped team with no flexibility, with important expiring contracts coming up, a medicoure prospect pool lacking impact potential players and now down a first and second.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
how's his shot? going into the dirty areas. which the canucks need to learn to do. ive seen glimpses of his scoring from previous seasons. but not much this year.
He's one of those guys who just scores. Like Luc Robitaille. Not a laser, not pretty, it just finds it's way in the net

Reactions: David71

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Tyler Toffoli is a strong play driver who experienced troubles converting the high offense he generates into GF at even strength. He seems to be able to get shots off in the right area, but have a hard time finishing. Overall I like Toffoli a lot and he is a good 2nd liner. I think the trade is fine value-wise, but it seems more of a trade that a team makes when one player away from a cup run. Sucks to trade away Madden... however, I don't view the trade as an overpayment.
upload_2020-2-17_19-30-39.png

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
Kings fan here in peace.

Cheers m8.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Assuming Ferland is done for the season and Boeser & Leivo return, wonder who sits?

Miller/Petey/Brock
Pearson/Bo/Toffoli
Roussell/Gaudette/Virtanen
Leivo/Beagle/Sutter
Motte/Eriksson

well now’s when a smart gm would flip our ridiculous glut of bottom six hole fillers for #7-8 hole fillers on d.

leivo and motte theoretically should have that kind of value right?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
23 games of him. No money to resign him (if he even wanted to.) Likely going back to LA, who cares how bad they are , his life is set up there and it’s LA.

Hard to even talk about the player because of how much we gave up for so little time.
And if he lights it up? Should be we excited? He’s not here next year. If we liked the player that much we could have signed him in the offseason for 0 assets. This is JB worst trade ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad