News: Tyler Toffoli wants to stay in Vancouver- Whats a fair contract?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
That's sad for me, I really wanted to try and get him in Arizona but that's great news for Vancouver. I love the roster you guys have put together.

5-6m over 4-7 years. Might be worth giving him the extra 2 years to push the cap hit down.

Y1 $6m
Y2 $5.5m
Y3 5m
Y4 4.5m
Y5 4m
Y6 4m
Y7 $3m

$4.57m aav

sign a guy until he is 36 to save 400k a year on the cap? Loui Eriksson 2.0 for years 5-7 ha

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Would not go over 4 years with this player. Never been particularly fast and won't be getting any faster. I think I'd be willing to push the AAV cost a bit higher to go 3 or 4 years instead of 5 or 6. It'd probably be worth it to secure a top 6 winger, even if his performance dips a little.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Prior to coming to Vancouver, in the past 4 seasons he had 149pts in 285 games (for a 0.52ppg average).

I'd be cautious in handing out star player type money, but I do feel he's a good fit for the team. Ideally, the Canucks sign him for something similar to Brandon Sutter's contract.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
It might be in his best interest to sign a one year deal. I don't think any of the mid tier free agents will get term and money with the uncertainty next season. But a full season with Pettersson could set him up for a nice payday if and when things get back to normal.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Prior to coming to Vancouver, in the past 4 seasons he had 149pts in 285 games (for a 0.52ppg average).

I'd be cautious in handing out star player type money, but I do feel he's a good fit for the team. Ideally, the Canucks sign him for something similar to Brandon Sutter's contract.

Keep in mind that he was playing on an offensively-inept Kings team.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
This is a really tough one. Toffoli is a decent player. He seems to fit into the Canucks top 6 quite well. The problem is he's really not that influential of a player. He can play with top guys but he's not driving much of the play.

Let's say you do give him a 4 or 5 yr deal. By the 2nd yr both Podkolzen and Hoglander may well have passed him on the depth chart. Do you want to pay Toffoli 6 mil to be on the third line?

4 yrs @ 5mil is doable
4-5 yrs @ 5.5-6 I would not want to sign him

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
5M x 5years would mean his contract expires when he's 33. Not bad..he'll put up top 6 forward numbers playing with Horvat or Petey easily

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
If he wants to stay, there’s a deal to be made. I’d say 5 years at 5mil is a good deal for both sides. I’d love 4x5.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Players in his situation, first time ufas in their late 20s usually try to seek out long term security as this is most likely their best years and their best chance. Fans like us who thinks he is only worth 3 years or so for is quite outrageous and unrealistic despite what we think. It’s unlikely to happen and in most cases these players will end up getting more term and more money then we think he is really worth.

to be fair I think he is with 5.175 million 5 years absolute max. This amount will be a 15% raise from his previous contract of 4.5 he plays till he’s 33 in this current contract is the best I will offer him. I like him he always sticks up for pettersson when he was his line mate, and I think he can provide leadership for our young core. This is
the type of player we need for our young group and in my opinion, the mistake Edmonton Toronto and Calgary made by not adding a veteran guy in the top 6 is assist and help lead the group and to think guys like matthews or mcdavid can (lite) their way up. It doesn’t work this way. Same mistake nonis made with the Canucks in the late 2000s.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
4 years @ 4.9m per season. Deal goes 1 year past Bo and JT's deals and expires the same time as the twiggy giraffe we shouldn't have signed!

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
JT Miller gets $5.25M, taking time out of the equation... Toffoli is not worth more, IMO. Personally something around $5M seems fair. And would give him a small pay bump with some longer term certainty (4-5yrs).

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think $5 million x 5 is fair for both sides. The Canucks need grit in their top 6 and Toffoli gives them some of that. The fifth year of that contract could be bad but that’s really the cost you need to pay to sign a top 6 guy.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
JT Miller gets $5.25M, taking time out of the equation... Toffoli is not worth more, IMO. Personally something around $5M seems fair. And would give him a small pay bump with some longer term certainty (4-5yrs).

that was signed when he was 25 and when he was a rfa, during a time when other teams couldn’t offer him a contract. Canucks and toffolis agency will know other teams can offer him something and even use another teams offer as leverage. Totally different.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
that was signed when he was 25 and when he was a rfa, during a time when other teams couldn’t offer him a contract. Canucks and toffolis agency will know other teams can offer him something and even use another teams offer as leverage. Totally different.
Which is why I said “take time out of the equation”... regardless I still think something around $5M is more than fair for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad