News: Tyler Toffoli wants to stay in Vancouver- Whats a fair contract?

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
honestly after watching him play, i can confidently say that he is better than Brock Boeser at this point in time.

Not to say Boeser wont get better becayse he is 23 yrs old but Tofolli makes that top 6 even waaaay better.

Key piece imo

I think your being fooled by a short sample size in Vancouver . I would take Boeser over Toffoli everyday. And this coming from a King fan that likes TT.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I think your being fooled by a short sample size. I would take Boeser over Toffoli everyday. And this coming from a King fan that likes TT.

Before the season and even during this season many Canuck fans on this board wanted to give Horvat away. Just give it a season or 2 and you’ll see them offering up Petterson and Hughes as well. It’s just how this fan base goes, they follow the opinions of our very poor hockey writers.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Before the season and even during this season many Canuck fans on this board wanted to give Horvat away. Just give it a season or 2 and you’ll see them offering up Petterson and Hughes as well. It’s just how this fan base goes, they follow the opinions of our very poor hockey writers.

I remember seeing that and every time I did I thought if your trading Horvat to sign TT your GM should be fired. But hey if they get to where they wanna dump the the last two mentioned we will take them in LA. :laugh:

Reactions: iFan

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I think your being fooled by a short sample size in Vancouver . I would take Boeser over Toffoli everyday. And this coming from a King fan that likes TT.

I would take Boeser too because hes younger and has plenty of development left. All im saying is, in this moment right now TT is a way more complete player than Boeser.

Nov 1, 2011
I would take Boeser too because hes younger and has plenty of development left. All im saying is, in this moment right now TT is a way more complete player than Boeser.

But over the last three seasons Boeser's PPG is 0.83 while Toffoli's is 0.54.

Just for reference, over 82 games that's is 68 for Boeser and 44 for Toffoli...the 24 point gap means these players aren't even really comparable.

Reactions: Szechwan

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
But over the last three seasons Boeser's PPG is 0.83 while Toffoli's is 0.54.

Just for reference, over 82 games that's is 68 for Boeser and 44 for Toffoli...the 24 point gap means these players aren't even really comparable.

Sure because Boeser was playing prime minutes with elite offensive talents like Ep40 and onthe PP1. Not saying that Boeser was a passenger but he was put in a really good position to score. Toffoli has been on bad LA teams with little fire power.

Its nice to make projections and and to see what a player is on pace for in 82 games but its not really accurate, especially since Boeser has never played a full 82 games in is 3 seasons while TT has has only had 1 season over the last 5 where he didnt play every game that season.

Like i said tho, I like Boeser, he is definitely the better pure offensive talent over TT but i feel that Boeser has a lot of growing and developing in his game to do to be come a complete player. His motor and his play without the puck is something that always leaves me wanting more.

Boeser is super young tho, and if I can only have 1 player on the team I'd definitely choose Boeser because his ceiling is higher that Toffoli's level right now.

However, if there was a game 7 tomorrow for the SCF and I can only have 1 of Boeser or TT on the team then id choose TT because i think his game is way more complete with and without the puck while being able to contribute offensively.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
I wouldn't pay over 5 million for a guy who only played 13 games with the team. Yes, he produced, but can he down he do it long term? Nothing is a guarantee with that guy, especially when he couldn't get anything going in LA the pat 4 years. I don't think he's magically good now that he's playing with more talented players.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Sounds like they are getting close to a 4 yr deal in the 5 mill range. This would be a real nice signing for the Canucks, especially given his fit with our top line.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Canucks with 17 players signed and $14.3M in cap space. Signing TT for $5M is 18 players signed with $9.3M in cap space.

RFA's: Virtanen, Stecher, MacEwen, Motte.
UFA's: Markstrom, Tanev, Leivo, Fantenberg.

Who is let go and who is brought back? Seems tight to me. Especially with Hughes, Pettersson, Demko to sign as RFA's the following season. I know there are expiring contracts you can let go. Luongo's $3M cap hit for this next season and the one after is a bit of a problem is it not?

sw0op1985

Sep 16, 2020
Theres like 20M coming off the cap next year for Hughes/Pettersson/Demko/Edler replacement..and then the year after there's anotehr 21M coming off with really only Boeser and maybe Rathbone to sign?....the only issue is getting through this year really

If Marky/Toffoli/Tanev comes back Stech/Virtanen are gone which is fine as they can help recoup picks and/or be added to hopefully take off Baert/Sutter for some needed cap space

Last edited:

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
As a metro Vancouver resident I feel the fanbase is beyond fickle and this is represented accordingly online and in media.

Though I could probably say the same for every canadian hockey club and it's fans and media.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I wouldn't pay over 5 million for a guy who only played 13 games with the team. Yes, he produced, but can he down he do it long term? Nothing is a guarantee with that guy, especially when he couldn't get anything going in LA the pat 4 years. I don't think he's magically good now that he's playing with more talented players.
What why not? He’s always been a good top 6 forward doesn’t matter if he’s played 13 games or 90 with the team, he’s not some unknown

Reactions: pman25

Nov 1, 2011
Sure because Boeser was playing prime minutes with elite offensive talents like Ep40 and onthe PP1. Not saying that Boeser was a passenger but he was put in a really good position to score. Toffoli has been on bad LA teams with little fire power.

Its nice to make projections and and to see what a player is on pace for in 82 games but its not really accurate, especially since Boeser has never played a full 82 games in is 3 seasons while TT has has only had 1 season over the last 5 where he didnt play every game that season.

Like i said tho, I like Boeser, he is definitely the better pure offensive talent over TT but i feel that Boeser has a lot of growing and developing in his game to do to be come a complete player. His motor and his play without the puck is something that always leaves me wanting more.

Boeser is super young tho, and if I can only have 1 player on the team I'd definitely choose Boeser because his ceiling is higher that Toffoli's level right now.

However, if there was a game 7 tomorrow for the SCF and I can only have 1 of Boeser or TT on the team then id choose TT because i think his game is way more complete with and without the puck while being able to contribute offensively.

I'd take Boeser because he is more of a game breaker.

Also, was Tiffoli allergic to Kopitar or something?

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Look at his numbers the past 4 years in LA. That would worry me about paying him anything more than 5 mil.
He had one down year in 2018/2019, but he's been a consistent 20-25 goal guy. I think he might get closer to $6 mil than $5 mil to be honest.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Canucks with 17 players signed and $14.3M in cap space. Signing TT for $5M is 18 players signed with $9.3M in cap space.

RFA's: Virtanen, Stecher, MacEwen, Motte.
UFA's: Markstrom, Tanev, Leivo, Fantenberg.

Who is let go and who is brought back? Seems tight to me. Especially with Hughes, Pettersson, Demko to sign as RFA's the following season. I know there are expiring contracts you can let go. Luongo's $3M cap hit for this next season and the one after is a bit of a problem is it not?

After this year, the cap issue really isn't a big deal as they have a ton of money coming off the books. Really we need to do 3 things to make next year work:
Ferland goes LTIR, which is likely
Trade Sutter for minimal return (yes, he has value, and no, he is not a bad player as HF makes him out to be), with 25% retention
Dump 1 year of Baertschi at 2.4 Million. Obvioulsy at a cost.

These 3 moves open up nearly 12 million in space for next season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
After this year, the cap issue really isn't a big deal as they have a ton of money coming off the books. Really we need to do 3 things to make next year work:
Ferland goes LTIR, which is likely
Trade Sutter for minimal return (yes, he has value, and no, he is not a bad player as HF makes him out to be), with 25% retention
Dump 1 year of Baertschi at 2.4 Million. Obvioulsy at a cost.

These 3 moves open up nearly 12 million in space for next season.

Too bad Luongo's recapture hit is still there at $3M cause you could use that eh!

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Look at his numbers the past 4 years in LA. That would worry me about paying him anything more than 5 mil.

The way I see it, looking at a players # from the past X amount of years with his former team is meaningless. For the Canucks they acquired Toff and he produced at a ppg before covid, he then got hurt and came back weeks early in the Vegas series and he clearly was still hurt. He meshes well in our top 6 and adds depth for our PP arrangement plus gives us a scoring winger for our top 6.

I mean, if you have LE in the top 6....Toff is a massive upgrade. I wouldn't overpay Toff but a 3-4 year deal at or under 5m is a deal we should consider from a Canucks point of view.

Your a Penguins fan I assume, and your team acquired Zucker who has been trending down for a couple years after his 30g season and is signed for 3 more years at 5.5m. Zucker and Toff are both complimentary top 6 players who should do well on a team with good players like they are on now. So if Zucker gets 60pts in Pit and Toff gets 55pts in Van for say 500k cheaper I think both players are helping their respected teams equally.

When acquiring a player your looking at what they can do for your team not what they did in the past on their old team. It is all about the fit, and so far Toff proved he could slot into our top 6 and play on our PP and contribute. I wouldn't give him long term or crazy $ but if he wants to play with one of the leagues best young players he has a great opportunity to do that in Van.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Too bad Luongo's recapture hit is still there at $3M cause you could use that eh!
Don't get me started on that BS rule. What a joke.

The upside of it is that we will get an additional $3 mill back to spend right when we are ready to compete, but that is a real small silver lining.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don't get me started on that BS rule. What a joke.

The upside of it is that we will get an additional $3 mill back to spend right when we are ready to compete, but that is a real small silver lining.

Canucks GM made some dumb moves back when. Should have kept Luongo for at least one more year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad