News: Tyler Toffoli wants to stay in Vancouver- Whats a fair contract?

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
How does Vancouver fit another 5 million dollar contract without hampering their ability to resign Hughes/EP/Demko down the line?

A bunch of trash contracts are coming off the books in about 1-2 years, which is when Petey and Hughes will have their big contracts. I have my inherent doubts with Benning and his abilities but from what he's said recently, he's 100% aware of the cap situation and will be clearing cap this year. It will also be either Markstrom or Demko for the future - they'll fit.

Toffoli solidifies our top 2 RW spots, gives us a dangerous option on either powerplay unit and he has shown proven chemistry with Pettersson (who wouldn't?). I would be very comfortable going in with Boeser and Toffoli on our top wings for our window - I would not doubt that Toffoli will score 30 in a full year. If we can get him for 5 million that'd be amazing. Although, I'd expect it's going to be like 5.5 for 3-4 years.

kooner91

Apr 13, 2014
5x5-5.5, or 7x4.75

Has shown chemistry with both Bo and Petey, and that is invaluable to me. Especially while our window is just opening.

Reactions: Szechwan

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
5.5 x 5 years. I think Benning really needs to get creative to drop some dead money and players who are not part of the core moving forward (Eriksson, Baertschi, and Sutter). Obviously the Goalie situation is a tricky one. Can you say that Demko who looked average during the regular season is ready to take over as starter based on a couple of playoff games? or should he share the crease as a 1a/b type rotation. Sign a player like Griess at say 3-3.5 and have one of the best tandems. Or do you sign Markstrom to big money and potentially expose him in the draft if Demko proves to be capable.

Whatever the case is Benning has to be careful dumping first to get rid of contracts. its really impacted the TML. They have a great core and some players who want to be there and can hopefully be resigned.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
5x5 I think is fair, or they could do $4M at 8 years with a NMC. PLus, the Canucks are gonna need to signs Pettersson and Hughes to long-term contracts and need to add more physicality as well as veteran leadership in order for them to be the best team in the league.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
5.5 x 5 years. I think Benning really needs to get creative to drop some dead money and players who are not part of the core moving forward (Eriksson, Baertschi, and Sutter). Obviously the Goalie situation is a tricky one. Can you say that Demko who looked average during the regular season is ready to take over as starter based on a couple of playoff games? or should he share the crease as a 1a/b type rotation. Sign a player like Griess at say 3-3.5 and have one of the best tandems. Or do you sign Markstrom to big money and potentially expose him in the draft if Demko proves to be capable.

Whatever the case is Benning has to be careful dumping first to get rid of contracts. its really impacted the TML. They have a great core and some players who want to be there and can hopefully be resigned.
based on team need I don't see how we can honestly improve the team and keep Marky - I love Marky, but at $6-$6+ AAV it is too expensive for the Canucks - and Benning is to blame for all of it.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
How does Vancouver fit another 5 million dollar contract without hampering their ability to resign Hughes/EP/Demko down the line?

They have 15 mill in cap space this off-season, so they have space for him for sure it would just probably mean they are walking away from Tanev/Markstrom or trading away a Virtanen/Stecher

As for fitting him with the future contracts of EP40 and Hughes:

They have plenty of expiring contracts between this year and next year. The likes of:

Eriksson - 6mil
Edler- 6 mil
Sutter- 4mil
Rousell- 3mil
Beagle - 3mil
Baerstchi- 3 mil
Luongo- 3 mil
Ferland- LTIR - 3 mil
Spooner- 1mil

30mil + of cap space off the books by 2022

Thank goodness they have players with ridiculously good contracts signed long term as well:

Miller 5mil
Horvat 5mil

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
He could probably get 6.5 on the open market so it depends on how much he wants to stay in Vancouver. Does he want to give up and extra 5-10 mil?

You think a 28 year old 2nd liner who has surpassed 50 points once in his career is going to get 6.5M on the open market with term?

:sarcasm:

Toffoli's a good fit with the Canucks, can easily score 50-60 points playing on the top PP unit.

In a flat cap world, on a team with cap problems, the max that we could offer without the contract being detrimental, would be 5 years x $5 mill.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
5x5 I think is fair, or they could do $4M at 8 years with a NMC. PLus, the Canucks are gonna need to signs Pettersson and Hughes to long-term contracts and need to add more physicality as well as veteran leadership in order for them to be the best team in the league.

Do they have the cap to sign both of them to a long term?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

All of the Canucks' bad contracts come off the books next year, which is the year EP and QuHu need new deals.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
5x5. Doubt he gets more with the flat cap.

EDIT: Or he could gamble and sign a 1 or 2 year deal. I could see a lot of FAs doing that this year.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
5x5 is probably fair but TT is a guy we were always scared of giving term. I mean, most 40-50 point guys are, but he's sooooo streaaaaky and though he plays a complete game when locked in, when he's in one of his slumps, it's not just scoring. But with the talent Van can surround him with, that risk should be mitigated somewhat.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Friedman said today that Colorado is going all in before they have to give raises to Landeskog and Mackinnon and have Makar come off ELC so they are willing to throw big money for short term on UFA's this year.

They speculated Hall for 1 yr at 9 mil.

If AVS are unsuccessful with luring a big name like that i can see them throwing a 1 yr deal on someone like Tofolli.

1 year 7.5 mil.

Dont know if TT would be interested in something like that but he would maximize his erning potential for 1 year and get to play with probably the then Stanley Cup favorites.

Fair Deal to me would be something like

4 yrs 5.5 mil

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
5x5-5.5, or 7x4.75

Has shown chemistry with both Bo and Petey, and that is invaluable to me. Especially while our window is just opening.

Yeah and he has proven hes clutch in the playoffs. He had 7g 7a in his rookie year with the Kings when they won it all. Earned his way to the top two lines. After seeing him do that good on Van, was obvious he got stale in LA the last few years. I think theres more potential there. Or at least getting back to the 50+ points , 30 goal seasons.

But the main thing when signing a player is hoping they can be that clutch playoff performer. Toffoli is. Canucks should keep him for sure. I wanted the Pens to get him for months last season, when it was first rumored he was gonna be moved. Still pissed JR didnt pick him up. Would have been perfect RW for Crosby and Guentzel.

Reactions: Grantham

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Friedman said today that Colorado is going all in before they have to give raises to Landeskog and Mackinnon and have Makar come off ELC so they are willing to throw big money for short term on UFA's this year.

If AVS are unsuccessful with luring a big name like that i can see them throwing a 1 yr deal on someone like Tofolli.

1 year 7.5 mil.

Dont know if TT would be interested in something like that but he would maximize his erning potential for 1 year and get to play with probably the then Stanley Cup favorites.

4 yrs 5.5 mil

Theyll prob land Mike Hoffman. Florida cant afford to keep him and Dadanov.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
There are enough expiring deals coming up to cover Hughes, Demko, and EP, not really an issue at all. Next season will be a crunch, but it eases off considerably afterward. Having a handful of NHL ready prospects come up over the next 2 years will help a ton as well.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Who will offer 6.5 with term?
Toffoli underperformed on a 3 year 4.6 deal. Not sure why anyone will give him 6.5 with term with a flat cap. I'd be willing to bet the Canucks lock him in at 4yr x 5.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Well, as long as Benning doesn't go and blow it all on UFA's.

Luckily there's only a limited amount of wiggle room this summer if he manages to hold onto Tanev, Toffoli and re-sign depth players like Virtanen and Stetcher.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

1 year 7.5 mil.

4 yrs 5.5 mil

Guys like Toffoli won't gamble a one year 7.5 at the age of 28, he already has two cups and 5x5-7 makes a ton more sense when you consider that he'd be moving his whole family 3 times within a year during a pandemic.

If he wants to not move his family, Vancouver at a 5x5~ works for him. If he wants to cash in, Florida/Arizona/whoever at 6x7.5 (not 7 because then he can't sign one last contract avoiding the 35+ rules), a one year at this point doesn't make a ton of sense for Toffoli career wise, of course he could still do it, it'd just be very confusing.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
They have 15 mill in cap space this off-season, so they have space for him for sure it would just probably mean they are walking away from Tanev/Markstrom or trading away a Virtanen/Stecher

As for fitting him with the future contracts of EP40 and Hughes:

They have plenty of expiring contracts between this year and next year. The likes of:

Eriksson - 6mil
Edler- 6 mil
Sutter- 4mil
Rousell- 3mil
Beagle - 3mil
Baerstchi- 3 mil
Luongo- 3 mil
Ferland- LTIR - 3 mil
Spooner- 1mil

30mil + of cap space off the books by 2022

Thank goodness they have players with ridiculously good contracts signed long term as well:

Miller 5mil
Horvat 5mil

+ Pearson 3.5 M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad