Friedman: Tyler Toffoli to hit the market

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
This doesn’t surprise me. As good of a fit Toffoli was, the club clearly wants to focus its cap space on Markstrom and defence... There’ll be some bargains on the wing as the UFA dust settles and the team has a few solid winger prospects who are close.

Reactions: Team Cozens

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
While Toffoli isn't signed, I don't think it is all doom and gloom.

Note that the source is TSN 1040. The station used to have the radio rights, until Rogers took everything. The station has been anti Canucks on almost everything.

I would take any insider knowledge from them with a bucket of salt.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

I think it's in everyone's best interest if Loui retires before we need to re-sign Petey and Huggy Bear.

I don't know what the hell he means by that. :laugh:

Unless there was some sort of verbal agreement that Loui doesn't get sent down to the AHL as long as he retires by the time the young guns need contracts.

Reactions: lawrence

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
While Toffoli isn't signed, I don't think it is all doom and gloom.

Note that the source is TSN 1040. The station used to have the radio rights, until Rogers took everything. The station has been anti Canucks on almost everything.

I would take any insider knowledge from them with a bucket of salt.

Huh, it's on Sportsnet too...

'Deciding to let Tyler Toffoli walk, the Canucks have reportedly qualified 24-year-old RFA Jake Virtanen ($1.5 million salary last season). The winger holds arbitration rights and will be seeking a raise after his 18-goal campaign.'

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
It was reported that he was willing to do 5Mx4. Which is year (28,29,30,31). Think he would've been fine.

We'll see if he even gets that. A lot of players will be offering themselves up as "discounts" this year. But what would have been discounts last year, are not necessarily discounts this year. Benning may have realised that he was just another sunk cost and he needs to move on. I'll gladly make the prediction that he gets less on the market then the discount he was offering Vancouver just because the dynamics have changed by a lot.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Like most GMs he’s made some good moves and some bad ones which puts him pretty much in the average range with the rest of them.

He makes far more bad moves than good one. he has made over 50 trades and has now only won 3. One of them being Leivo who was going to be waived.

A 6% winning percentage is not a top 6 GM or even average. Funny thing is him not signing Toffoli might be his best UFA move yet. Which of course he will make up for by signing Barrie for 7 x 5 or something foolish like that. I guess this at least lets him QO Virtanen and Stecher.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He makes far more bad moves than good one. he has made over 50 trades and has now only won 3. One of them being Leivo who was going to be waived.

A 6% winning percentage is not a top 6 GM or even average. Funny thing is him not signing Toffoli might be his best UFA move yet. Which of course he will make up for by signing Barrie for 7 x 5 or something foolish like that. I guess this at least lets him QO Virtanen and Stecher.
Lol! He just got JT Miller for a first and Tanner Pearson for Gubrandson. He’s drafted a franchise center and D without a top 4 pick. Sure he’s made some poor moves like about three quarters of the GMs. You clearly aren’t being objective. Which is fine.
Most posters tend to have agendas on here.
I’m not even a huge Benning fan and would be fine if he was replaced but average is about where he belongs.
I’m also not going to pass judgment on this off season until we at least hit free agency. Lots of time to go and lots of possibilities. I’m not counting on another home run like JT Miller but there’s other targets out there as well.

Last edited:

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Money seems very tight this year and maybe better player's could be available then Toffoli.
Tampa needs to dump players so maybe we could accomadate them again in a trade.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I wonder if this means Benning will actually sign Barrie or Shattenkirk. I'm staying away from my Canuck buddies if he does. They already have that weird "look" in their eyes and i'm not sure what the next stage of depressed rage will bring.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Lol! He just got JT Miller for a first and Tanner Pearson for Gubrandson. He’s drafted a franchise center and D without a top 4 pick. Sure he’s made some poor moves like about three quarters of the GMs. You clearly aren’t being objective. Which is fine.
I’m not even a huge Benning fan and would be fine if he was replaced but average is about where he belongs. I’ve learned there’s no point in responding to some on here, so I’ll leave you to it.

Vancouver has drafted well the last 3 years but the thing is a GM effects the drafting by a team the least out of all the things he does. The area in which Dim Jim has the most control over UFA/RFA contracts and Trades he has been terrible at. The Toffoli trade is another example of it.
Benning is just another example of why really good scouts make really poor GM's.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
I’m not even a huge Benning fan and would be fine if he was replaced but average is about where he belongs. I’ve learned there’s no point in responding to some on here, so I’ll leave you to it.

Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Pearson, Ferland, Myers, Benn are currently taking up $31M of our cap (~40%).
I don't think you'll find many teams in a worse position than that.

He has done well in certain trades (the Miller trade, for example) -- but Pearson for Gudbranson is nullified by giving up McCann and a 2nd for Gudbranson in the first place. He has poor asset management and constantly bleeds value in trades by overrating his own pro scouting.

The franchise C and D outside the top 4 is great, but also have some amount of luck to them -- those players might not have made it to our picks in other drafts. He's also drafted Virtanen and Juolevi with top 6 picks, so isn't infallible as a drafter. A lot of Pettersson's and Hughes' value will depend on what kind of contract he can sign them to. We're going to throw away another year of their ELC (which is the hugely valuable part of making good draft picks) by having a team filled with garbage contracts.

Benning is likely a bottom-5 GM in the league, and drafting Pettersson and Hughes, along with Markstrom turning into a top goalie, have kept him afloat so far. We'll see how he progresses from here.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Vancouver has drafted well the last 3 years but the thing is a GM effects the drafting by a team the least out of all the things he does. The area in which Dim Jim has the most control over UFA/RFA contracts and Trades he has been terrible at. The Toffoli trade is another example of it.
Benning is just another example of why really good scouts make really poor GM's.
Yeah sorry. When you claimed he won 3 out of 50 trades you just lost all credibility. And the Dim Jim thing is childish and simply shows you have an agenda. The Canucks are a young team on the rise. That’s the bottom line. I don’t think Benning is the guy to get the team to the next level but he’s built a good foundation for the next guy. Like I said average. Decent at trades, good at drafting and extremely poor at UFAs.

Have yourself a good one.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad