Friedman: Tyler Toffoli to hit the market

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I think Vancouver is better off unless he signs a reasonable deal, they will regret it. Toffoli is a good player that always leaves me wanting more. He’s like a more well rounded Michael Ryder. I think someone may give him 3-4 years at 6 million per but he’s really not worth it.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Let’s see where this goes. This could just be a warning shot from the Toffoli camp that they are running out of patience. I’m in the camp that would like him back. Benning needs to sort out Markstrom quickly and get on with things.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Any1 still wanna try to argue that Benning isn't the worst GM in the league
He traded for a UFA and we got to the 2nd (sort of 3rd) round of the playoffs and got this young core some experience that will make them hungry for more.
Not every team that trades for a UFA wins the cup or re-signs the player. He's not even close to the worst GM in the league. In fact, since 2017 I would say he's conservatively been a top half of the league GM.

Reactions: Jmo89

Nov 1, 2011
Good with Tiffoli moving on.

Given the cap environment, we should circle back to him after he tests the market.

The trade was made in a different market (pre-COVID). We shouldn't be making decisions based on sunk costs. Would love to have him back at sub-$3M which is where I think he'll end up...nobody competitive has cap to spend.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
So many bad takes in this thread.

I like Toffoli, but he's a luxury item in some ways. He certainly makes our top six a lot better, but we need help on D badly.

If Jim can get Markstrom and Ekman-Larsson (potentially with retention and assuredly while dumping cap) then he's doing the right thing here.

The Canucks have been bad for so long that we aren't used to losing good players. Welcome to being a decent team, sometimes tough decisions have to be made.

A large part of the Toffoli deal was that Boeser was hurt and expected to be out for the season. We couldn't waste the 2nd year of Hughes and Petey on ELC's without getting even some playoff experience.
So he dealt a 2nd round pick and our 3rd best forward prospect.

And it worked out well. We pushed Vegas and got into their heads. In fact, in taking out St Louis, and messing up Vegas, we may very well have had a large impact on who eventually won the cup.

That's all part of the progression of a good young team. People on this god damn site think that 30 teams should be tanking and compiling picks while 1 team wins the cup. It's such limited thinking.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I think Vancouver is better off unless he signs a reasonable deal, they will regret it. Toffoli is a good player that always leaves me wanting more. He’s like a more well rounded Michael Ryder. I think someone may give him 3-4 years at 6 million per but he’s really not worth it.
Dude, Michael Ryder is the perfect comparison! That’s what I’ve been trying to say about Toff this whole time. He’s a solid hockey player with good offensive awareness, but he can trick you into thinking he’s more than that with stretches of really good offensive numbers.

We already have one of those in Tanner Pearson.
I see Pears having a very difficult time recreating what he did last season too.
A deep playoff team has these players, but you can’t hitch your wagon to them.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
So many bad takes in this thread.

I like Toffoli, but he's a luxury item in some ways. He certainly makes our top six a lot better, but we need help on D badly.

If Jim can get Markstrom and Ekman-Larsson (potentially with retention and assuredly while dumping cap) then he's doing the right thing here.

The Canucks have been bad for so long that we aren't used to losing good players. Welcome to being a decent team, sometimes tough decisions have to be made.

A large part of the Toffoli deal was that Boeser was hurt and expected to be out for the season. We couldn't waste the 2nd year of Hughes and Petey on ELC's without getting even some playoff experience.
So he dealt a 2nd round pick and our 3rd best forward prospect.

And it worked out well. We pushed Vegas and got into their heads. In fact, in taking out St Louis, and messing up Vegas, we may very well have had a large impact on who eventually won the cup.

That's all part of the progression of a good young team. People on this god damn site think that 30 teams should be tanking and compiling picks while 1 team wins the cup. It's such limited thinking.

The help on D does not preclude the help at F.

Why do you think re-signing Markstrom and getting OEL means that Benning had to lose Toffoli? You don't have enough information to make this conclusion.

Imperative playoff experience for Hughes and Pettersson to justify this trade is... such a bad take.

Nice shot at HF though. Pure class.

Last edited:

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Some team might give him 5.5+ a year which they will soon regret. Glad we got Madden and a 2nd but why pay so much for a rental like him? Poor asset managment if you ask me.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
They currently have like 13 mil in cap space. Could they not get something done?

If the want OEL and thry can’t unliad Erikssin/Suter thrn they have a cap issue.

Right now they are 12/5/1with $13M in space.
RFAs are 3/1/0
They need to fill an additional -1/1/1

They want to bring in a vet Dman
Thrn signing their RFAs can cost $6M

That gives thrm $7M. If they can unload two vets they could resign Toffoli

They need to unload players with term in 21/22 to free up cap space for Petersen and Hughes.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Avs may end up looking at this guy. We need a right shot winger. Depends on term more than AAV. 2-3 years would be ideal.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Why do you think re-signing Markstrom and getting OEL means that Benning had to lose Toffoli. You don't have enough information to make this conclusion.

Imperative playoff experience for Hughes and Pettersson to justify this trade is... such a bad take.

Nice shot at HF though. Pure class.
This is a message board, not a master's thesis. I'm allowed to speculate. Also, I don't think there's a lot of speculation there.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

FAMOUSfin

Oct 11, 2011

I feel like he's a couple years off from being better suited to a third line role. 3-4 years at 6M would be way too much for me.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
the same people killing Benning in this thread are the same ones in 2-years that would be calling him a big mongoloid for signing Toffoli to an albatross contract.
Toffoli has buyer beware vibes surrounding him.
Yep and for some, anything Jim does , the toxic will find the negative pitch and throw it back at Jim.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Avs may end up looking at this guy. We need a right shot winger. Depends on term more than AAV. 2-3 years would be ideal.
I think the rumored ask was 4 at 6 which is gross. Who knows how reliable that is, though.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
This is a message board, not a master's thesis. I'm allowed to speculate. Also, I don't think there's a lot of speculation there.

So you're allowed to speculate, but you don't think there's a lot of speculation there. Hmmm.

This is a message board, and I'm questioning you on your takes. Do you have an answer to any of my replies?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
the same people killing Benning in this thread are the same ones in 2-years that would be calling him a big mongoloid for signing Toffoli to an albatross contract.
Toffoli has buyer beware vibes surrounding him.
Because we can do basic math, and we knew the instant the trade went down that the if the team kept Toffoli after this season, it would mean definitely losing either Markstrom or Tanev, both of which are far, far more important to the Canucks' success than Toffoli. The bigger issue was that Benning looked at a team that had just missed the playoffs for five straight seasons, and skipped right ahead to trading futures for a playoff rental he knew he wouldn't be able to keep.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
So you're allowed to speculate, but you don't think there's a lot of speculation there. Hmmm.

This is a message board, and I'm questioning you on your takes. Do you have an answer to any of my replies?
Wait, you think that saying I'm allowed to speculate but that I don't think there's a ton of speculation going on there is somehow you catching me in a logical trap?

Okay, let me refute your points:

There is a salary cap. We can't afford Marky, Tanev, and Toffoli let alone trying to potentially trade for Ekman-Larsson.
With Ekman-Larsson, we may have a once in a generation chance to grab a significant asset for pennies on the dollar because Arizona seems extremely motivated to sell/trade due to monetary reasons as well as the fact that that relationship seems to be poisoned. OEL has chosen only two teams and we happen to be one of them. He may be a way to solve a number of problems including improving our D-core and cap dumps from our woefully inefficient bottom six.

Why do you think re-signing Markstrom and getting OEL means that Benning had to lose Toffoli. You don't have enough information to make this conclusion.

I understand basic math. I understand positional importance, I'm honestly not even sure what you're confused by here.

How often do you see a young core go from missing the playoffs to winning the cup in one fell swoop? It doesn't really happen. You have to crawl before you can walk. Talk to any GM in the league and ask them if they value playoff experience for a young core. I think you'd be surprised by the answers.

Nice shot at HF though. Pure class

HF was a place for really high level hockey discussion in the 00's.
I used to learn tons about every team just by perusing these forums because it used to be a place for die-hard hockey fans who happened to be on the internet. Seems like sometime in the last 10 years it became a place for die-hard internet fans who happen to like hockey.

Full of factions (hf canucks in particular), hot takes, and low effort jokes/memes.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think the rumored ask was 4 at 6 which is gross. Who knows how reliable that is, though.
He should ask high. It’s his job. GMs come back lower and less term. Their job. He doesn’t have a ton of leverage. He’s picked the worst offseason ever to be a UFA.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Why don't the Canucks simply get Loui Eriksson to retire?
He is still owed $5 million in cash over two years and has to do very little if anything to get it. Loui doesnt seem to care if he is in the line up or not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad