Friedman: Tyler Toffoli to hit the market

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Pearson, Ferland, Myers, Benn are currently taking up $31M of our cap (~40%).
I don't think you'll find many teams in a worse position than that.

He has done well in certain trades (the Miller trade, for example) -- but Pearson for Gudbranson is nullified by giving up McCann and a 2nd for Gudbranson in the first place. He has poor asset management and constantly bleeds value in trades by overrating his own pro scouting.

The franchise C and D outside the top 4 is great, but also have some amount of luck to them -- those players might not have made it to our picks in other drafts. He's also drafted Virtanen and Juolevi with top 6 picks, so isn't infallible as a drafter. A lot of Pettersson's and Hughes' value will depend on what kind of contract he can sign them to. We're going to throw away another year of their ELC (which is the hugely valuable part of making good draft picks) by having a team filled with garbage contracts.

Benning is likely a bottom-5 GM in the league, and drafting Pettersson and Hughes, along with Markstrom turning into a top goalie, have kept him afloat so far. We'll see how he progresses from here.
Well drafting Pettersson and Hughes are probably the biggest long term impacts on this team. Getting a franchise center and D without a top 4 pick is why I rate him as about average. I mean sure you can say it’s luck and negate those two most impactful moves but I don’t agree.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Well drafting Pettersson and Hughes are probably the biggest long term impacts on this team. Getting a franchise center and D without a top 4 pick is why I rate him as about average. I mean sure you can say it’s luck and negate those two most impactful moves but I don’t agree.

Strong centers have bern drafted in 5-10.
You can get great Dmrn in top 12.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009

Sure -- but do you agree that players like Pettersson and Hughes do not drop outside the top 4 regularly? So there is a bit of luck involved there, that *probably* won't be replicated. So if we are considering him as a GM moving forward, we should account for that -- that's all I'm saying.

I agree that we can't just remove those picks from his history and judge him without them -- but we should consider the likelihood of those happening again. I'd expect if Benning had 5 more years of drafting, he'd probably have 1-2 good picks, 1-2 bad picks, and the rest being average -- but would be surprised if he had another home run pick, nevermind 2.

I also think that a lot of the value of Pettersson and Hughes is tied to their cap hit (particularly ELC and bridge years) -- one Hughes ELC year was wasted, we have 1 more ELC year which will likely be wasted for both. Then we get into their next contract, and a bridge contract is unlikely -- both are likely to be paid about what their value is on the ice. There's some advantage there, for sure, but much less than during their ELC years.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
Unbelievable. Let Markstrom walk, you have freaking Demko. We have no other top 6 RW besides Boeser now. Absolutely ridiculous and inexcusable from Benning.
Were you expecting anything better from Benning.

Now I am worried he will sign markstrom to a long term deal and trade Demko.

Reactions: JTmillerForA1stLOL

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Seriously? Why the hell are we breaking the bank to keep Markstrom? If someone has to go, he's easily the best candidate. We actually have a replacement and the UFA market is saturated with goalies.
Also, being a team that's outshot constantly and relying on goaltending to bail you out isn't a recipe for success.

Signing Toffoli(to improve forward depth) and Tanev(to prevent shots against) seems like it should be a higher priority than resigning Markstrom.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Also, being a team that's outshot constantly and relying on goaltending to bail you out isn't a recipe for success.

Signing Toffoli(to improve forward depth) and Tanev(to prevent shots against) seems like it should be a higher priority than resigning Markstrom.

Exactly my thoughts. And yet it seems like both will go elsewhere so we can sign Markstrom... who we'll promptly lose to Seattle. Unless we give them Demko.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Strong centers have bern drafted in 5-10.
You can get great Dmrn in top 12.
Franchise centers are rarely drafted five to 10. On the top center poll it’s so far McDavid, McKinnon, Draisaitl, Crosby, Eichel, Malkin, and Matthews. All high picks.
You rarely get a franchise D outside the top five.
Sure it happens. But to get both without a top 4 pick is incredible ‘good luck’.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
A team will over pay and regret it

I don't think so. With the flat cap, I don't think his contract is going to be that big.

He's 28, so a 2-4 year deal is what I'd expect (I think players will look to sign shorter term deals in hopes that the cap goes up in a couple of years)

He looked much better on the Canucks vs the Kings, who are a team playing in the dumps/without purpose. He's a 50-70pt player depending on usage and linemates.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I am not a huge Toffoli fan, his skating needs improving, averages 20 goals a year.
Someone will overpay for him, watch out.
My thought, he is a 4.5-5 million player

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I don't think so. With the flat cap, I don't think his contract is going to be that big.

He's 28, so a 2-4 year deal is what I'd expect (I think players will look to sign shorter term deals in hopes that the cap goes up in a couple of years)

He looked much better on the Canucks vs the Kings, who are a team playing in the dumps/without purpose. He's a 50-70pt player depending on usage and linemates.

My guess is that many of these UFA sign shorter term deals in the 2-3 year range. The upside of locking in long term just isn't there this year with the flat cap and teams hurting financially.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sure -- but do you agree that players like Pettersson and Hughes do not drop outside the top 4 regularly? So there is a bit of luck involved there, that *probably* won't be replicated. So if we are considering him as a GM moving forward, we should account for that -- that's all I'm saying.

I agree that we can't just remove those picks from his history and judge him without them -- but we should consider the likelihood of those happening again. I'd expect if Benning had 5 more years of drafting, he'd probably have 1-2 good picks, 1-2 bad picks, and the rest being average -- but would be surprised if he had another home run pick, nevermind 2.

I also think that a lot of the value of Pettersson and Hughes is tied to their cap hit (particularly ELC and bridge years) -- one Hughes ELC year was wasted, we have 1 more ELC year which will likely be wasted for both. Then we get into their next contract, and a bridge contract is unlikely -- both are likely to be paid about what their value is on the ice. There's some advantage there, for sure, but much less than during their ELC years.
Other supposed ‘good’ GMs passed on those guys because they thought they were too small. So no I don’t consider that luck at all.
And yes I think it could happen again and if history is any guide probably will.
Now luck would be winning the draft lottery and having one or two first overall picks handed to you like many of the other teams. Vancouver on the other hand has dropped down in the lottery every year since the new format.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Pearson, Ferland, Myers, Benn are currently taking up $31M of our cap (~40%).
I don't think you'll find many teams in a worse position than that.

He has done well in certain trades (the Miller trade, for example) -- but Pearson for Gudbranson is nullified by giving up McCann and a 2nd for Gudbranson in the first place. He has poor asset management and constantly bleeds value in trades by overrating his own pro scouting.

The franchise C and D outside the top 4 is great, but also have some amount of luck to them -- those players might not have made it to our picks in other drafts. He's also drafted Virtanen and Juolevi with top 6 picks, so isn't infallible as a drafter. A lot of Pettersson's and Hughes' value will depend on what kind of contract he can sign them to. We're going to throw away another year of their ELC (which is the hugely valuable part of making good draft picks) by having a team filled with garbage contracts.

Benning is likely a bottom-5 GM in the league, and drafting Pettersson and Hughes, along with Markstrom turning into a top goalie, have kept him afloat so far. We'll see how he progresses from here.

In fairness you just listed off 35% of the roster that eats up 40% of the cap, which is not as bad as you sell it. You also have Ferland in there, which would have been a solid deal if healthy, hard to hang that on JB. You also have Pearson in there, who is far from dead weight on this team. Myers may make a little bit much, but we are a much better team with him on the ice. Benn is fine as a 6-7 D at 2 mill, no problem there.

All the dead weight is gone when we are ready to be legit contenders, no need to worry.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Huh, it's on Sportsnet too...

'Deciding to let Tyler Toffoli walk, the Canucks have reportedly qualified 24-year-old RFA Jake Virtanen ($1.5 million salary last season). The winger holds arbitration rights and will be seeking a raise after his 18-goal campaign.'

What I mean is that 1040 will take every chance to pile on with unnamed sources.

Dhaliwal likes to create noise all the time. There is a reason he was let go from 650.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
My god Benning... I don't even know why I'm surprised anymore.

I have a feeling I'll be angry with him again a few times this month. Which future assets are we going to lose next?

*sigh*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad