Friedman: Tyler Toffoli to hit the market

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
the same people killing Benning in this thread are the same ones in 2-years that would be calling him a big mongoloid for signing Toffoli to an albatross contract.
Toffoli has buyer beware vibes surrounding him.
Exactly. People are complaining that Benning is letting Toffoli walk but those same people would have been first in line to criticize Benning had he actually signed Toffoli.

Petterson went to Benning to re-sign Toffoli... doesn’t happen
Hughes goes to Benning to re-sign Tanev... doesn’t happen
Meanwhile Benning is trying to sign Markstrom when we have Demko ready to go and are up tight to the cap... I don’t follow the Benning logic
Although I do agree that Benning should be taking the calculated risk of running with Demko, saving cap space for other areas of improvement, he also shouldn't be listening to players on who to keep and who not to keep.

Reactions: bh53

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Hopefully this is just the agent leaking this and putting pressure on the Canucks to do something

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I expected this eventually both as a negotiating tactic and because Toffoli needs to legitimately scope out his options.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I said not competitive for the Ducks, and Kings, I still think people around the league think the Sharks will be but they have no cap space.
Toffoli has a cup already,I think its about money this time.Theres no way I could see Kings re-signing Top Tity.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I wonder if Toffoli is just fed up waiting for this OEL situation to get sorted out, wouldn’t blame him

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Meanwhile Benning is trying to sign Markstrom when we have Demko ready to go and are up tight to the cap... I don’t follow the Benning logic
That's because nothing has happened. You don't know whether he signs any of these guys. Just because it doesn't fall in your timeline doesn't make it a thing. Very few UFA's have re signed because teams have a bunch of conversations going on. Once we are through the draft, things will start to shake out.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Cancuks have given up a lot of assets for him and Miller, now they have no picks in the first 2 rounds in a very deep draft and there are some other key UFA's for them like Markstrom...

Bad look.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Cancuks have given up a lot of assets for him and Miller, now they have no picks in the first 2 rounds in a very deep draft and there are some other key UFA's for them like Markstrom...

Bad look.

Miller was worth every penny tho. Over PPG in both the playoffs and Regular season. Agree on Toffoli

FAMOUSfin

Oct 11, 2011
I wonder if Toffoli is just fed up waiting for this OEL situation to get sorted out, wouldn’t blame him

Sounds like it's the Markstrom situation holding things up. With the OEL possibility used to entice Markstrom to take a discount.

Mido

Dec 10, 2018
Hoglander and Podkolzin will be knocking on the door in a year anyway. Might not be such a bad thing.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh

Baffling. Doesnt make an ounce of sense.

Ray Shero used to do this every offseason. Target one guy and have no plan B.

Benning is spending his whole offseason trying to re-sign Markstrom and ignoring all the other issues.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Do I think Benning should be fired for his lack of foresight in building the team? Possibly.

Do I think that a well spoken speech about how it might hurt now, but we are looking towards the long term future of Hughes, Petey, and sustaining a cup contender, in a cap hit world might save him? Possibly.

Any move this offseason needs to be so guided by what the plan is for when we have these bad contracts off the books. If it hurts now, but eventually we have Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Petey, Hughes, plus whatever prospects pan out+ cap space to add another legit piece it may be the best option.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I hope they overpay for Toffoli, but ultimately I think he goes right back to LA and they swing a deal for Rust.

I'm not sure about that. Toffoli has been 'replaced' by Frk and we need the roster spots for some youth. Toffoli is obviously a much more complete player and good for a contender which we aren't and our obligatory 'sniper' spots are Frk and maybe Kaliyev.

Reactions: go4hockey

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Exactly. People are complaining that Benning is letting Toffoli walk but those same people would have been first in line to criticize Benning had he actually signed Toffoli.

This is incorrect. First, you are immediately grouping all people as having a mode. That's immediately a tell that you're argument is going to be inaccurate and lazy.

Next, there are definitely posters that wanted Toffoli re-signed (such as myself, on record) and are pissed Benning not only was not able to make it happen, but did not communicate with Toffoli's agent to keep him onboard for a few more days. Terrible management, again.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad