Player Discussion Tyler Seguin

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
You've gotten the answers you're looking for, what is the point of comments like this if not to bash him?

Seguin has scored a goal or two this season by going to the dirty areas in front of the net. He almost ended it last night with a deflection driving to the net. Hes not relying just on this shot like he was last year and it's wonderful.

Sorry,no I'm not. I'm one of those long time fans who neither loves or hates a player,just wants the truth about a player. I don't resent his being gone. I didn't like his game in the SC run,nothing more nothing less. Hopefully Eriksson and Smith can equal his output and my fellow Bruins fans will shut up. Since I saw him when he would shy from contact and would duck the dirty areas a move in that direction is indeed a metamorphosis. I wanted to hear about his growth or his stumbles,there will be no thread with me slamming him,there will be no thread with me slamming the Bruins brass. God forbid a fan of a team asks about a former player's development. We're not all 16 year old knuckleheads. Good luck with the quest.

McGinley

Captain, my captain
Feb 13, 2013
Jamie: "how do you know how tall I am?"
Tyler: "cause I stalk you"
Jamie: "that's...awkward"

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Sorry,no I'm not. I'm one of those long time fans who neither loves or hates a player,just wants the truth about a player. I don't resent his being gone. I didn't like his game in the SC run,nothing more nothing less. Hopefully Eriksson and Smith can equal his output and my fellow Bruins fans will shut up. Since I saw him when he would shy from contact and would duck the dirty areas a move in that direction is indeed a metamorphosis. I wanted to hear about his growth or his stumbles,there will be no thread with me slamming him,there will be no thread with me slamming the Bruins brass. God forbid a fan of a team asks about a former player's development. We're not all 16 year old knuckleheads. Good luck with the quest.

Him shying away from contact and not battling in the corners was wayyyy overplayed by some Bruins fans.

Not surprised at all by his play in Dallas given better line mates and more room to make a mistake or two without getting his mins cut.

Also not surprised at all your in here ripping into him.

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I can see both sides.

The Bruins were loaded to the point of Seguin being a third liner playing off position. It's still hard to figure a team with their success having traded scorers and talents like Thornton, Kessel and Seguin and still keep winning, but they have.

Bruins seemed like they soured on a top player for being less than perfect in the playoffs, Thornton included, but he has kept that regular season greatness but PO blandness going since the trade, so they seem to have been right.

Not sure about Kessel, since TO has only made the PO's once, I think and are a mess.

Seguin's first Stars playoff was no bargain, and it may very well be that his lack of physicality will make him a less valuable player in the playoffs long term, while Benn shines brighter. I admit that I worry about that a bit, even though its a small sample size. I doubt TS will ever be a Modano reincarnation as the near perfect two way player. But, then I do see he hustles to play D, even if not physically, so I don't worry that much about it.

I think both teams are happy with the trade, even with Pevs down, because the Stars got the best player, and the Bruins got a LOT of pieces that fit, with all 4 players in the trade now on the NHL roster. They can still evaluate talent, apparently.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Thornton is a great playoff player, him being bad in the playoffs is one of the greatest hockey myths out there.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Haven't looked up his stats, but the Sharks are known for lousy playoff records, and he was captain (until this year) so he takes some of the heat, obviously. At least, he would here on these boards!

Well now I looked up the stats. JT was about a 60-70 point player for the B's for 5 years. First three years, he met his PPG average in the PO's, last two years he had 3 points and -5 and 0 points and -6. He got traded mid year the next year.

He exploded on the Sharks, point wise, and nearly matched those PPG totals over several playoff years, but not quite. Last year he was down, and they demoted him from captain. So, not as bad as his rep, no. But, Boston did trade him due to two consecutive down years in the PO, just like they traded TS after one down year in the PO.

Last edited:

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the year Thornton had 0 points with the B's that he was playing with cracked ribs. That's pretty hardcore, and I hardly blame a guy for not producing under those circumstances.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
He exploded on the Sharks, point wise, and nearly matched those PPG totals over several playoff years, but not quite.

It is basically a fact of life that scoring in the playoffs is more difficult and most players see their PPG numbers lower in the postseason. The list of guys who are elite players in the regular season who match that scoring pace in the playoffs can't be very long. Crosby's numbers dip, Forsberg's did as well, Jagr, etc.

I think the reasons for taking the captaincy away from Thornton would be found in the dressing room more than the score sheet.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It is basically a fact of life that scoring in the playoffs is more difficult and most players see their PPG numbers lower in the postseason. The list of guys who are elite players in the regular season who match that scoring pace in the playoffs can't be very long. Crosby's numbers dip, Forsberg's did as well, Jagr, etc.

I think the reasons for taking the captaincy away from Thornton would be found in the dressing room more than the score sheet.
I think it was done to appease the fans who demanded change.

MetalGodAOD*

One from the Bruin board...

Also...

That's crazy. He took that snub to heart. Can't wait to see him finally break through in the post-season to finally shut the haters up once and for all.

He's 3 goals ahead of Nash/Stamos for the Rocket. Crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

aloonda*

Love how he makes a point to always be the last guy off the ice in pregame

24giovanni

Aug 2, 2005
I can see both sides.

The Bruins were loaded to the point of Seguin being a third liner playing off position. It's still hard to figure a team with their success having traded scorers and talents like Thornton, Kessel and Seguin and still keep winning, but they have.

Bruins seemed like they soured on a top player for being less than perfect in the playoffs, Thornton included, but he has kept that regular season greatness but PO blandness going since the trade, so they seem to have been right.

Not sure about Kessel, since TO has only made the PO's once, I think and are a mess.

Seguin's first Stars playoff was no bargain, and it may very well be that his lack of physicality will make him a less valuable player in the playoffs long term, while Benn shines brighter. I admit that I worry about that a bit, even though its a small sample size. I doubt TS will ever be a Modano reincarnation as the near perfect two way player. But, then I do see he hustles to play D, even if not physically, so I don't worry that much about it.

I think both teams are happy with the trade, even with Pevs down, because the Stars got the best player, and the Bruins got a LOT of pieces that fit, with all 4 players in the trade now on the NHL roster. They can still evaluate talent, apparently.

We did, Erikkson sux. Not worth the paper i wipe my a$$ with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad