Sec 314 - Richardson
HFCDL.png

Trade him.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Leaf fan here (ya ya laugh it up.. Kessel for Seguin+) :sarcasm:

Despite that I do really like Seguin. I have trouble finding sites that say how often players play certain positions. On Yahoo he is a C/RW. I'm assuming he plays RW with Nichushkin out and plays with Spezza. When Nichushkin is healthy does he ever play RW? Will he likely keep RW eligibility?

Thanks.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
He usually plays center with Nuke in, but Jamie and him rotate on the faceoff dot sometimes depending how each is doing and the situation etc.

Pretty sure handedness plays a big role in who takes each draw as well, but the center on the line is Seguin when he isn't on the ice with Spezza.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Bruins fan-Looks like Seguin is blossoming statistically in Dallas. Reasons he was traded included a resistance to coaching,avoidance of contact to the point he would fake skating hard in puck races,avoidance of net battles,immaturity and 1 goal in the last most important 27 games of the season in which the Bruins were in the SC finals. Is there anything in his game now that needs further development or has he corrected all his faults and become the perfect player? Loui's taking a beating among the lunatics.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Bruins fan-Looks like Seguin is blossoming statistically in Dallas. Reasons he was traded included a resistance to coaching,avoidance of contact to the point he would fake skating hard in puck races,avoidance of net battles,immaturity and 1 goal in the last most important 27 games of the season in which the Bruins were in the SC finals. Is there anything in his game now that needs further development or has he corrected all his faults and become the perfect player? Loui's taking a beating among the lunatics.
Seguin was traded because the Bruins couldn't afford to keep their team under the cap. They chose to keep all of their expensive guys who were in their prime to try to make a run at another Cup while Chara could still play. Seguin was the odd man out as a young player. The trade had nothing to do with the stuff you wrote.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Seguin was traded because the Bruins couldn't afford to keep their team under the cap. They chose to keep all of their expensive guys who were in their prime to try to make a run at another Cup while Chara could still play. Seguin was the odd man out as a young player. The trade had nothing to do with the stuff you wrote.

Bingo.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

You should pay closer attention because that's pure crap. I came here for a realistic report on how he is playing today that his stats may not indicate. The cap dump was Peverley's 3 mil. Seguin's cap hit versus Eriksson and Smith was +250K. They could have had Seguin through age 27 at a 5 and change hit. They were not enamored of this player on the wing with his style and issues and they weren't dumping Selke perennial Bergeron or 2 time SC scoring leader Krejci when each was 26. There is audio available of the Bruins discussing Seguin pre trade.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
You should pay closer attention because that's pure crap. I came here for a realistic report on how he is playing today that his stats may not indicate. The cap dump was Peverley's 3 mil. Seguin's cap hit versus Eriksson and Smith was +250K. They could have had Seguin through age 27 at a 5 and change hit. They were not enamored of this player on the wing with his style and issues and they weren't dumping Selke perennial Bergeron or 2 time SC scoring leader Krejci when each was 26. There is audio available of the Bruins discussing Seguin pre trade.
Yes, I am aware of the video released by the Bruins after the trade to help sell it. Looks like it worked...

As for the bolded part, that was my point. They weren't going to trade Chara, Lucic, or Marchand, so Seguin was the player traded to free cap space.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Yes, I am aware of the video released by the Bruins after the trade to help sell it. Looks like it worked...

They all get Emmys and you're a Bruin expert/insider. What did they say in the video? One thing you didn't know obviously is they didn't have to sell it as he was the biggest disappointment on the team and he didn't fit during the run and people were open to it. It's only after,when Eriksson has been such a disappointment and Seguin puts up big offensive numbers that less then knowledgeable Bs fans have started throwing fits. Obviously I'm not going to get an honest assessment of this player's total game from you at least as we got honest assessments of Loui's from some Stars fans.

Last edited:

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
They all get Emmys and you're a Bruin expert/insider. What did they say in the video? One thing you didn't know obviously is they didn't have to sell it as he was the biggest disappointment on the team and he didn't fit during the run and people were open to it. It's only after,when Eriksson has been such a disappointment and Seguin puts up big offensive numbers that less then knowledgeable Bs fans have started throwing fits. Obviously I'm not going to get an honest assessment of this player's total game from you at least as we got honest assessments of Loui's from some Stars fans.

I don't know what you want to hear but Seguin is great on the Stars. He backchecks just fine. He has no off-ice issues in Dallas or at least none that anyone gives a **** about since the Stars don't micromanage their players' personal lives. Our system is based on speed not defense so he fits in perfectly. If you want to hear that anyone is unhappy with having him then sorry you're going to be disappointed. The coach loves him, the players love him, the fans love him. If you're going to point to his playoff performance here then you have to recognize that we were an 8th seed in our first playoffs after a 5 year drought. We did much better than I expected and I'm not expecting us to get anywhere past the second round if we're lucky this year either. If you want to point to those 6 games as an indication of anything with Seguin then I guess Horcoff would be worth his 5.5m to you too since he got 6 points (fyi he's really not)

If I can say anything about Seguin it's that he isn't a Taylor Hall type that pads his personal stats while the team fails around him. Seguin wins games. He works hard and he scores clutch goals. Even on embarrassing nights like last night the effort is still there. I don't give a **** how he played in Boston because he's exactly what the Stars need

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I get it. You're hoping to find Stars fans who are disappointed with Seguin or see big flaws in his game.

He's not perfect, but he's still the best player on the team. Getting him was the primary reason the Stars went from finishing 9-12th in the conference every year to making the playoffs and being exciting to watch again.

You're shopping for gripes. Any criticism I might have of Seguin is tempered by the mountain of positives I see, and I'm not about to share those criticisms with you because I know they'd end up being repeated in a "Stars fans criticize Seguin" thread.

Besides, he's still getting better. He's another two seasons away from reaching his prime. He's exceeded my every expectation of him. In summary, my analysis of his total game is this: I couldn't be happier.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I don't know what you want to hear but Seguin is great on the Stars. He backchecks just fine. He has no off-ice issues in Dallas or at least none that anyone gives a **** about since the Stars don't micromanage their players' personal lives. Our system is based on speed not defense so he fits in perfectly. If you want to hear that anyone is unhappy with having him then sorry you're going to be disappointed. The coach loves him, the players love him, the fans love him. If you're going to point to his playoff performance here then you have to recognize that we were an 8th seed in our first playoffs after a 5 year drought. We did much better than I expected and I'm not expecting us to get anywhere past the second round if we're lucky this year either. If you want to point to those 6 games as an indication of anything with Seguin then I guess Horcoff would be worth his 5.5m to you too since he got 6 points (fyi he's really not)

If I can say anything about Seguin it's that he isn't a Taylor Hall type that pads his personal stats while the team fails around him. Seguin wins games. He works hard and he scores clutch goals. Even on embarrassing nights like last night the effort is still there. I don't give a **** how he played in Boston because he's exactly what the Stars need

Not looking to criticize just get the truth. Bruins fans saw what he was in Boston and was wondering what he was in Dallas,outside of stats. Bruins and Chicago and LA all won cups with no top 10 scorers.
Bruins do demand players behave off ice a certain way and he was spoken to by Bergeron and Thornton,both reported by them,because it reflects on and affects the team. Don't think his off ice antics were a major player. Thanks.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I've seen effort/defensive deficiencies listed as reasons why he was moved on HF countless times, but there is zero evidence of that on the ice. Maybe it is maturation or shock from being traded or confidence in being counted on, but I tend to think these issues were way overstated in the pre and post trade smearing.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I've seen effort/defensive deficiencies listed as reasons why he was moved on HF countless times, but there is zero evidence of that on the ice. Maybe it is maturation or shock from being traded or confidence in being counted on, but I tend to think these issues were way overstated in the pre and post trade smearing.

He really was a player that looked to avoid contact and puck battles. He was a player who sometimes used his speed to do some great backchecking. I don't think the Bruins valued this type of player as much as they valued a player like Bergeron and Krejci,2 of the best defensive centers in hockey while providing 60-70 points. Eriksson came as a Bergeron type winger,someone who fit the Bruins mold but they also got in Smith someone who had interesting second line potential and an interesting nugget in Morrow who is now called up and reportedly has turned a corner. In the end,they went with players who fit better. They've now given up 2 premier young offensive centers in 5 years in Kessel and Seguin in favor of Krejci,Bergeron and a blooming Soderberg.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

You have to admit that the wording of your original post was fairly loaded. "Has he become the perfect player?" Seriously, what kind of response did you expect to get?

He back checks but he is not a Modano center, at least not yet. I wouldn't really want him killing penalties at this point in time, but I reckon if he were pressed into duty he would learn fairly quickly. He doesn't initiate physicality, but he doesn't really shy away from contact. He's a heady player with a boat load of skill. He doesn't take or give hits not because he is afraid or isn't giving a full effort, he just uses his brain and skating to take himself out of those positions for the most part. He still needs to work on faceoffs, but he has improved on that since coming here, which is to be expected from a guy playing wing the first however many years of his career.

I will disagree with Troy on one point. Jamie Benn is our best forward bar none. That isn't a slight on Seguin, more a comment on how awesome Benn is and how complete of a player he is. To put it another way, if Benn were in Boston playing with Bergeron you could expect to see at least a 10 point uptick in Bergeron's points all while that line playing kickass defense.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
You have to admit that the wording of your original post was fairly loaded. "Has he become the perfect player?" Seriously, what kind of response did you expect to get?

He back checks but he is not a Modano center, at least not yet. I wouldn't really want him killing penalties at this point in time, but I reckon if he were pressed into duty he would learn fairly quickly. He doesn't initiate physicality, but he doesn't really shy away from contact. He's a heady player with a boat load of skill. He doesn't take or give hits not because he is afraid or isn't giving a full effort, he just uses his brain and skating to take himself out of those positions for the most part. He still needs to work on faceoffs, but he has improved on that since coming here, which is to be expected from a guy playing wing the first however many years of his career.

I will disagree with Troy on one point. Jamie Benn is our best forward bar none. That isn't a slight on Seguin, more a comment on how awesome Benn is and how complete of a player he is. To put it another way, if Benn were in Boston playing with Bergeron you could expect to see at least a 10 point uptick in Bergeron's points all while that line playing kickass defense.

Sorry. I truly didn't come here to slam a player,just to find out if he has improved on things that the Bruins brass said he wouldn't accept coaching about. Personally,I wasn't sad to see him go. It's my opinion that his difficulties were the biggest reason the Bruins lost in 6 to the Hawks as unfair as that may be. If he goes on to a HOF career in Dallas and ushers in a cup or 2 so be it. I'm happy with the return even though they are both underproducing in the early going.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
He's a leader and a guy who works hard on and off the ice. He doesn't shy away from contact and isn't afraid to go into the hard areas.

MetalGodAOD*

That's a true metamorphosis.

You've gotten the answers you're looking for, what is the point of comments like this if not to bash him?

Seguin has scored a goal or two this season by going to the dirty areas in front of the net. He almost ended it last night with a deflection driving to the net. Hes not relying just on this shot like he was last year and it's wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino