Eklund Rumor: Tyler Myers to Leafs/Bolts?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
He's not being paid 5.5 mil. That's his cap hit. His salary for the next 2 years is 3.5 & 3.0 mil. A bargain at the price if he plays 70 games a season.

When talking about the Leafs.....it would be better if he was actually paid 5.5 with a 3.0 cap hit. In Toronto, cash doesn't matter....cap is king.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Myers would be your third best Dman and your best RHD

What a joke.

Myers played 11 god dam games last season. Myers had hip surgery. Myers had knee surgery (which for s team built on speed, a wonky knee isn't an asset). If he plays 82 games this season, and does it well....then we'll talk. But as of right now, he would not be our 3rd best.

Now, i will say if he comes at a bargain bin price. ..then sure, take the gamble. But if Chevy is asking for a "healthy" Myers value.....the easily no thanks. If we are paying fair market value for an oft injured D, then all my eggs go into the Tanev basket.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If Myers was traded that would mean Trouba is untouchable, so the rumour never stated Myers was being shopped just that these two teams were pushing to get him. But if Myers was being shopped, again it would mean Trouba is untouchable. The list of players I think most Jets fans would trade Trouba for is very small, partly b/c he fills a huge need for us (#1D stud) & the fact he's so damn good.

I'd say you're right about all those things. But unfortunately for the Lightning we need all those things that Trouba does for the Jets and without any disrespect meant towards Myers but he is not going to be the kind of fit we are looking for. Especially not with as frequently injured as he has become and especially not at that contract.

scratchhayes*

Mar 24, 2016
So Myers who has done nothing in years is still a good player but Stepan stinks and can't bring back anything of value. I give you HF. :laugh:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
So Myers who has done nothing in years is still a good player but Stepan stinks and can't bring back anything of value. I give you HF. :laugh:

I give you one JVR. 61 points....consistent scoring winger....not worth a half eaten pudding cup.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Even if he doesn't pan out, the only negotiations this might effect is JVR or Bozaks and I'm still not 100% sure what direction to go there. JVR and Bozak are both looking like essential depth players and are a bigger part of team success than our fanbase cares to admit. JVR in particular is young enough to be effective alongside Matthews, Nylander, and Marner.

Actually, I've almost turned myself against the idea. Aside from a bargin deal I can't see him being worth losing JVR to UFA alongside whatever assets we spent to acquire him. I believe we need a true number one and not another second pairing defensemen. Even though he would help our top 4 in the interim, the defensemen I'd want would actually push one of Zaitsev or Myers to the bottom pairing. This would be disastrous given their contract status.

To summarize we don't need another second pairing defensemen. We need a solid shutdown bottom pairing defensemen to push Marcinin to the 7th position or a true top pairing defensemen to pair with Rielly and push one of Zaitsev or Gardiner to the second pairing

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Never understood the "He'd be your x best player" comments. In 2015 when the Leafs had literal plugs at every position, if someone said hey lets trade Brayden Schenn to the Leafs and then said "He'd be your #1 C or W", does that justify moving Marner + for him?

No, of course not. Good teams don't trade for players who aren't good enough to be top players on other teams. Example, Leafs would LIKE Vatanen because he is a solid middle D on a contender. We wouldn't trade the same value for their bottom pairing D just because they "would be your 4th best D".

At the end of the day, Myers has negative value to the Leafs considering his cap hit, health issues, and assets required to get him. They will pass and continue with the process.

Fellow Leaf fans, isn't it kind of funny how concerned other fans are with finding us defensemen and are so happy to offer up our best pieces for them on here? It seems like "insert your over paid or spare D here to Toronto" and then demanding a piece like Nylander has become a thing. Then when we say no, what do we hear? "Have fun never winning with that defense LOL".

Apparently our window closes next year... I'd say the window hasn't even opened yet.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Can't say too much against his injury history but I fully believe Myers would have returned and played more this season had this not happened.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Myers is a huge risk given his injury history. I think for the Leafs he'd have to be a part of a package.

To Toronto: Myers, Tucker Poolman
To Winnipeg: Bozak, Connor Carrick

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Myers is a huge risk given his injury history. I think for the Leafs he'd have to be a part of a package.

To Toronto: Myers, Tucker Poolman
To Winnipeg: Bozak, Connor Carrick

I have no idea what his value would be realistically at this point, until he proves he can stay healthy. But no doubt his injuries has put his value at its lowest ever. Like i said I don't see the Jets trading him partly due to need (insurance until Trouba signs) and b/c his value is low due to injuries.

Protecting him at the ED would be doubling down on him (likely lose Lowry then) as the Jets, b/c they must feel he will get healthy and/or feel someone will pay top 4 D value for him (if Trouba signs). Keeping him also i can't imagine helps with getting Trouba to extend this summer if he sees there is still a log jam on RHD.

Interesting how it plays out.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Muzzin and this year's 2nd round pick for Myers and 2017 first round pick.

Gee i dunno man, not keen on adding a 2nd. If myers was cleared by the doc id be tempted. I dont know how it would play out with the exp draft either.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
If we trade with the Jets I would much rather go for Trouba. I know the price will be higher than Myers but that's what happens when you trade for a player of Jacob's caliber and it's understood you gotta pay up if you wanna get someone like that.

Needless to say Yzerman is targeting the WRONG player if any of these rumors are true.

Sure, just send us Hedman. You gotta pay up if you wanna get someone like that.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
:laugh:

sweet baby jeebuzz

:laugh:

Not that I don't appreciate a good laugh, but if you'd kindly explain in a bit more detail :laugh:

Correct me if I'm wrong: a few Jets fans have said that a 3rd line C is a requirement. Bozak fits that bill quite nicely. A 55 point season, proven to be effective with skilled wingers (which the Jets have in spades), very solid at the dot. A defensive liability, but cheaper than Myers. Myers, might prove to be the player he was, but might not, and the past few seasons wouldn't lend me confidence, but to each his own. Carrick has played in the NHL, with some success and success in the playoffs too. Poolman, projects more highly than Carrick, but doesn't IMO have the ability to unseat Buff or Trouba on one of the top two pairs. The Leafs risk the potential of Myers returning to the injury reserve list or being less the player than he was, and accept that risk by asking for the potential of Poolman. The Jets receive the 3rd C they desire and a capable 3rd pairing D in Carrick.

If Myers is healthy and stays healthy, of course the Jets would refuse, but history suggests this is a gamble. Cheers.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
With his injury history I'd be thinking future conditional picks. Only fair way that one side or the other isn't going to get gun shy

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00