Player Discussion Tyler Myers thread

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I think the coach is a problem. In the playoffs, the team suddenly started to have defensive structure and was making structural adjustments, but this season there's no structure in the neutral zone or defensive end.

I think the team needs to be given time to sink or swim without coaching or player changes this season. If they sink, there's a good chance that a new gm comes in, chooses their own coach, and makes personel changes (there should be good value depth pieces available again next season).

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Someone needs to remind this guy that he's a lumbering giant and getting 4 penalties a game isn't ideal. Punching a guy in the face with the butt end of your stick is never not going to result in you not getting a penalty. Also seeing as you are 14 feet tall sometimes you need to be a tinnnny bit more selective before you decide to lean into or hack someone........

Man this really needs to stop.

(Throwing the puck gently when you are deep in your own zone to anywhere BUT THE BOARDS is also a bad idea.........that's no bueno either)

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
He just has some really inconceivable turnovers where their is absolutely little to no pressure, but somehow manages to give it away or throw an awful pass this hits a skate, which reminds of Bieksa in his worst moments or Sbisa (who the f*** thought those 2 would be good pairing) He also seems to have built almost 0 chemistry with any of his partners. Half the time he pinches, or step ups it seems like his teammates are completely oblivious and are thus caught out of position to cover.

Reactions: mossey3535

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
He just has some really inconceivable turnovers where their is absolutely little to no pressure, but somehow manages to give it away or throw an awful pass this hits a skate, which reminds of Bieksa in his worst moments or Sbisa (who the f*** thought those 2 would be good pairing) He also seems to have built almost 0 chemistry with any of his partners. Half the time he pinches, or step ups it seems like his teammates are completely oblivious and are thus caught out of position to cover.
It's almost like there is zero chemistry between the next gen Canucks and the age gappers.

Almost like the locker room is fractured between the players that are worth their contract and the players that aren't.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's almost like there is zero chemistry between the next gen Canucks and the age gappers.

Almost like the locker room is fractured between the players that are worth their contract and the players that aren't.
Seriously....this post needs a lot more debate and attention than it will likely get.

You look at some of those guys out there busting their butts night after night playing 25 minutes and earning entry-level contract money.

Meantime the highest paid guys basically suck night after night. You think Quinn Hughes doesn't look at what Myers is earning and ask himself a basic question, wtf? Or Pettersson, who looks at his fellow Swede Louie Eriksson and what he's earning for languishing on the taxi squad night after night. Meantime the team is dying on the vine for another scoring winger.

Maybe both guys look at what Sutter is earning, and ask themselves if Tyler Tofoli would be have been a better bet for exactly the same money?

It's one of the biggest reasons Benning has to clean out the contract deadwood...if only to keep the faith with his young stars.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Seriously....this post needs a lot more debate and attention than it will likely get.

You look at some of those guys out there busting their butts night after night playing 25 minutes and earning entry-level contract money.

Meantime the highest paid guys basically suck night after night. You think Quinn Hughes doesn't look at what Myers is earning and ask himself a basic question, wtf? Or Pettersson, who looks at his fellow Swede Louie Eriksson and what he's earning for languishing on the taxi squad night after night. Meantime the team is dying on the vine for another scoring winger.

Maybe both guys look at what Sutter is earning, and ask themselves if Tyler Tofoli would be have been a better bet for exactly the same money?

It's one of the biggest reasons Benning has to clean out the contract deadwood...if only to keep the faith with his young stars.

This. 100%.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015

Yeah this is probably pretty close. Their seems to be no top down identity that the canucks play with or structure and it's reflected in the player personal

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

I hadn't really thought of this since last season but I agree.

Also, Tanev/Marky sound like they were the bridges between the two camps and now both are gone. You can't expect new guys to come in and fill that role.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Some of Myers pinches are just absolutely baffling. He seems to just see the puck sometimes, and go completely rogue. The strangest are the weird slow pinches he regularly makes, where he basically just sorta drifts down through the high slot when his partner is already engaged or has already pinched down and been replaced by a forward on the point. Probably an exaggeration based on perception, but it feels like he does this at least once or twice every game. And it always looks like the 4 other guys on the ice have absolutely no clue what he's doing, or why he's doing it.

Like, i've seen Canucks forwards look legitimately startled and confused, when Myers randomly rolls up behind them by the hashmarks...as the play is turned around going the other way in the neutral zone.

And it's weird, because it feels like he's just completely freelancing and the other players' reactions suggest as much. But it's a pattern that is repeated fairly regularly, as though he thinks it's part of the system or something? Just a particular recurring glitch in Myers already overall buggy programming?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

I think it's more like you (and others of your ilk) who are obsessing over salaries instead of what the players are actually doing. I seriously doubt that any of the young players are being distracted by their teammates salaries after all they know how the system works and that it is designed to cap how much they can make in their first few years in order to compensate for the windfalls that they can expect when their ELC's are up. If our young stars can be sidetracked by being envious of the veterans salaries then they are in the wrong league because no matter where they play there will be overpaid veterans. I think you are projecting.

Reactions: biturbo19

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
15 teams(16 if you add Dallas) have less or the same amount of goals given up at even strength as Tyler Myers.

Amazing how a stat like that doesn't age well.

5 teams have less EV goals against than Myers. 3 of those have only played 3 games, one has played 4 games. Myers (and Hughes) have each been on the ice for a total of approximately 3 games.

Not a flattering stat by any means, but comparing those stats when there are huge discrepancies in games played is silly.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Amazing how a stat like that doesn't age well.

5 teams have less EV goals against than Myers. 3 of those have only played 3 games, one has played 4 games. Myers (and Hughes) have each been on the ice for a total of approximately 3 games.

Not a flattering stat by any means, but comparing those stats when there are huge discrepancies in games played is silly.

There are 7 teams( with 5 or more gp) tied with Myers or less. And the 2-3 gp is more than cancelled out when a team has anywhere between 2-3 times the minutes of any player.

For the record, I don't think this will last. It was just to show how bad our defence has been this season.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
You misunderstand:
-Tyler Myers, personally, has played ~10 minutes shy of 3 games
-Quinn Hughes, personally, has played ~9 minutes more than 3 games

No team in the league has played 3 times as many minutes as these players. Only two of the teams with 13 or less goals against have played 6 games (~2 times as much as Myers and Hughes).

As I said, the stat is putrid for those players. But the comparison is a strawman.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I thought he played 3 really strong games against the Sens. Competition considered of course, but - he logged a lot of heavy minutes and was noticeably good, IMO.

Hope that's something he can continue; Wyatt Arndt's description of him being "chaotic neutral" is a pretty good one by and large, though.

ekimbo

Sep 28, 2009
Some of Myers pinches are just absolutely baffling. He seems to just see the puck sometimes, and go completely rogue. The strangest are the weird slow pinches he regularly makes, where he basically just sorta drifts down through the high slot when his partner is already engaged or has already pinched down and been replaced by a forward on the point. Probably an exaggeration based on perception, but it feels like he does this at least once or twice every game. And it always looks like the 4 other guys on the ice have absolutely no clue what he's doing, or why he's doing it.

Like, i've seen Canucks forwards look legitimately startled and confused, when Myers randomly rolls up behind them by the hashmarks...as the play is turned around going the other way in the neutral zone.

And it's weird, because it feels like he's just completely freelancing and the other players' reactions suggest as much. But it's a pattern that is repeated fairly regularly, as though he thinks it's part of the system or something? Just a particular recurring glitch in Myers already overall buggy programming?

I thought I was the only one who noticed the random pinches that make absolutely no sense. You'd think one of the coaches would say something after 1 or 2 of his expeditions.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

A tall version of Keith Ballard.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I thought he played 3 really strong games against the Sens. Competition considered of course, but - he logged a lot of heavy minutes and was noticeably good, IMO.

Hope that's something he can continue; Wyatt Arndt's description of him being "chaotic neutral" is a pretty good one by and large, though.
Mr. C is lawful evil.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
49 point pace if it was a full season and leads the team in blocked shots. Hes playing great this season.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Points =/= good defenseman. But I guess since Myers is tall he gets a pass.

He consistently makes just bewildering decisions. He's a true rover/freelancer, making random pinches, attacking the wrong players, and wild giveaways. He also clearly has incredible physical tools and can make great plays from time to time. He's just not a good defender and should be deployed as such.

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad