Player Discussion Tyler Myers thread

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
I didn’t think his hit was suspension-worthy but I did think he would be suspended anyways just to satisfy the Habs who are probably angry and out for blood. I’m sure he’ll have to answer the bell tomorrow.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Myers' penalties since the play-in is so odd. This has historically been a player who has manged to keep his PIM to below a penalty minute per game. He had 49 PIM in 68 regular season games for the Canucks last season. The previous season he had 63PIM and 48 before that. His last 16 games he has had 42 PIM!!! and it's not because he's been fighting. Like WTF
He’s not a top pairing dman and barely top 4.

He is not a safety net type of player and most definitely not a player to be leaned on hard.

For anyone that has been paying attention to his career, that’s who Tyler is and expecting him to be something different is honestly not on Tyler.

He is who he is and he didn’t give himself that contract.

Just like Loui didn’t give himself that contract.

This square peg round hole bullshit has been going on since Benning became GM when in his 2nd season as GM, he turned a gritty welterweight speedy winger into a 4th like face punching gronk who ends up screwing up his neck sometime in the process and has to retire.

It easy to hammer on the players and god knows I’ve done my share but at the end of it, these guys didn’t sign themselves.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Myers' penalties since the play-in is so odd. This has historically been a player who has manged to keep his PIM to below a penalty minute per game. He had 49 PIM in 68 regular season games for the Canucks last season. The previous season he had 63PIM and 48 before that. His last 16 games he has had 42 PIM!!! and it's not because he's been fighting. Like WTF

Maybe they've been showing him the Pronger videos.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Every now and then he grabs a puck at the blue line that literally only him or Chara could keep in because they’re giants and I go “huh, that was neat”

every 5 games he’ll go for a skate and score a goal that is 100% because of his natural athleticism and you’re like oh ok that’s why he’s in the NHL

THE REST OF THE TIME HE IS SO SO SO BAD

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Every now and then he grabs a puck at the blue line that literally only him or Chara could keep in because they’re giants and I go “huh, that was neat”

every 5 games he’ll go for a skate and score a goal that is 100% because of his natural athleticism and you’re like oh ok that’s why he’s in the NHL

THE REST OF THE TIME HE IS SO SO SO BAD

He’s definitely high event. For better or for worse.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, it's massively strange.

People are saying it's because he's slow and taking hooking/holding penalties, but that isn't really the case. More than half of these calls are roughing/illegal hit type penalties, from a guy who has always been a pretty notorious teddy bear.

It's like some sort of switch has gone off and he's realized he's big and can push people around and kinda likes it, but has no idea how to do it without taking penalties. Looks like a 16 y/o WHL player learning where the line is.

Reactions: bh53

cc

Feb 28, 2002
he isn't good defensively so if he can continue playing physical without going over the line, that should help the team. unfortunately, he hasn't been able to tell where the line is

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
he isn't good defensively so if he can continue playing physical without going over the line, that should help the team. unfortunately, he hasn't been able to tell where the line is
He can’t see it because he’s too tall.

Reactions: bh53 and cc

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Yeah, it's massively strange.

People are saying it's because he's slow and taking hooking/holding penalties, but that isn't really the case. More than half of these calls are roughing/illegal hit type penalties, from a guy who has always been a pretty notorious teddy bear.

It's like some sort of switch has gone off and he's realized he's big and can push people around and kinda likes it, but has no idea how to do it without taking penalties. Looks like a 16 y/o WHL player learning where the line is.

Probably feeling the pressure to contribute in any way shape or form. In Winnipeg, he never really had that pressure. The fanbase knew he wasn't really that good, but I think they accepted it because he was a solid overall person and they weren't paying him as much as we are right now.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Myers is so entertaining.

He's like a giant awkward, athletic, not so smart, able to eat figs off the highest of branches, bi polar, partially blind dude on skates.

Some games he devours ice plays within himself and looks like he's a great addition. Way too many times he's an astonishingly bad train wreck which is either comical or frightening given the circumstances.

I think were stuck with him.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Somehow he has 4 points in 6 games. Let's hope he keeps it up so we don't have to pay too much to dump him.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Probably feeling the pressure to contribute in any way shape or form. In Winnipeg, he never really had that pressure. The fanbase knew he wasn't really that good, but I think they accepted it because he was a solid overall person and they weren't paying him as much as we are right now.
You think the extra 500k he's earning (on a higher total cap) is impacting his play?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
You think the extra 500k he's earning (on a higher total cap) is impacting his play?

I didn’t realize the gap was that small. For some reason, I thought he was in the $4 million range when he was on the jets.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
On a good team, Myers is a solid #5 on the depth chart. He can move up into the top-four in a pinch, but has never demonstrated that he can stay there for too long. In fact, he'd be a pretty useful player on a team with a deep defensive corps.

The problem is, he's earning $6m a season for the next four years, including the current one. And for that kind of money, he has to be a top-four d-man. But of course this has been a common lament in the Benning era. He traded for Erik Gudbranson, declared him to be a top four d-man and paid him accordingly. Juolevi was supposed to be a fop-four d-man by now. And a cast of other blueline characters have all paraded through, often at the expense of valuable depth draft picks, only to flop.

The sad reality is if the Canucks had been able to draft a single decent d-man over the years, they wouldn't be forced to overpay for someone like Myers. But it is what it is, I guess.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
The sad reality is if the Canucks had been able to draft a single decent d-man over the years, they wouldn't be forced to overpay for someone like Myers. But it is what it is, I guess.

Pretty sure they drafted one decent defenceman...

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He’s worse than Eriksson

eriksson was like some guy who was extremely overpaid. He didn’t do anything well but he could transition the puck and did the basics, just at a super slow pace.

Myers is the worst dman on this team.
I think I would put him in the same grouping as Sbisa and Gudbranson.

and yes I’m blaming that 2nd goal on him more than Hotlby.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I didn’t think his hit was suspension-worthy but I did think he would be suspended anyways just to satisfy the Habs who are probably angry and out for blood. I’m sure he’ll have to answer the bell tomorrow.

It would've been better if he was suspended. Myers is so bad holy christ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad