Tyler Myers next contract?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I mentioned elsewhere that if Trouba wants out, Chevy would know it & should have long ago dealt him. For us true believers, this had long been our reasoning. Assuming that's still the case, what happened?

If one year of Trouba is worth $5.5 million, ask yourself what more term look like? Likely begins at $7 million.

So now ask yourself if an immediate signing of Morrissey long term coupled with a $7 million AAV Trouba signing was possible this off-season.

I realize I'm grasping at straws, but it still remains a slim possibility that putting off the Trouba signing was a cap ploy to keep this years AAV down, and Trouba still signs in January. Then only next years cap and beyond would be affected.

It's a thought anyways...
I hope you’re right.
It’s anyone’s guess now.
I doubt it but my track record of being wrong is astounding.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
How could you know that?
chevy just paid ehlers 6aav and helle 6.2 aav . after watching 8 years of chevy does there have to be a press release by the team to realize he offered trouba multiple fair contracts if there was honest negotiations happening by the trouba side.

Reactions: GNP

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
In Trouba's case they are 5v5. The 5v5 point totals at Corsica differ from other similar sites. The all situations point totals at Corsica differ from the official numbers. It’s pure speculation on my part, but I was thinking Corsica isn't capturing scoring changes properly.

Yup, you are right.

I checked point totals of all Jets players from corsicahockey.com (and also corsica.hockey, a.k.a. Corsica 2.0) and compared them to nhl.com/stats.

It seems that all the goals are there, but some players are missing couple of assists. I'm just wondering whether these assists happen to be secondary assists and some of those that are added later, but not yet during the game?

Missing assists:

Byfuglien: 2
Ehlers: 1
Trouba: 2
Morrissey: 4 (!)
Tanev: 1

So total of 10 assists missing, most (8) of them for D-men, only 2 for forwards.

Another wild theory: what if those 10 assists are not only secondary assists, but also given right before going into the bench, so that those players were no more on the ice when goal was scored? Obviously they should count as points, but what if that kind of breaks Corsica model where they might be not able to address those goals in any situation when that guy is sitting on the bench?

Ps. Myers has pretty high amount of primary points, 24 vs. 21(* that Buff is having, or 13(* for Morrissey. Buff is getting huge number of those "freebies" by just giving the puck back to Wheeler while on PP.

*) I'm here assuming that primary points are counted right on corsica, but I might be wrong on this.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Yup, you are right.

I checked point totals of all Jets players from corsicahockey.com (and also corsica.hockey, a.k.a. Corsica 2.0) and compared them to nhl.com/stats.

It seems that all the goals are there, but some players are missing couple of assists. I'm just wondering whether these assists happen to be secondary assists and some of those that are added later, but not yet during the game?

Missing assists:

So total of 10 assists missing, most (8) of them for D-men, only 2 for forwards.

Another wild theory: what if those 10 assists are not only secondary assists, but also given right before going into the bench, so that those players were no more on the ice when goal was scored? Obviously they should count as points, but what if that kind of breaks Corsica model where they might be not able to address those goals in any situation when that guy is sitting on the bench?

Ps. Myers has pretty high amount of primary points, 24 vs. 21(* that Buff is having, or 13(* for Morrissey. Buff is getting huge number of those "freebies" by just giving the puck back to Wheeler while on PP.

*) I'm here assuming that primary points are counted right on corsica, but I might be wrong on this.
Those missing assists might be due to unseen deflections in the slot, which are often corrected afterwards.

Hockeyreference has Myers at 2G 16A at ES. Same goes for Natural Stat Trick.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Yup, you are right.

Missing assists:

They seem to be a mix of things. Trouba is missing a goal from 2016/17 in addition to a primary assist that year. Again my best guess is scoring changes but I have seen other weird issues with the Corsica data. Eg at least twice last year the Jets led the entire game, had the edge in raw Corsi but came out on the lower side of adjusted Corsi and I just don't see how that could happen.

Reactions: Halberdier

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I mentioned elsewhere that if Trouba wants out, Chevy would know it & should have long ago dealt him. For us true believers, this had long been our reasoning. Assuming that's still the case, what happened?

If one year of Trouba is worth $5.5 million, ask yourself what more term look like? Likely begins at $7 million.

So now ask yourself if an immediate signing of Morrissey long term coupled with a $7 million AAV Trouba signing was possible this off-season.

I realize I'm grasping at straws, but it still remains a slim possibility that putting off the Trouba signing was a cap ploy to keep this years AAV down, and Trouba still signs in January. Then only next years cap and beyond would be affected.

It's a thought anyways...

Hang in there Fonz. Never surrender! :laugh:

Sorry, but I think that is delusional. It doesn't address next year when the cap will be even tighter. The solution to that situation would simply have been a bridge deal for Morrissey. Or barring that, trade Perreault. Dicking around with Trouba would never have been the preferred option.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Hang in there Fonz. Never surrender! :laugh:

Sorry, but I think that is delusional. It doesn't address next year when the cap will be even tighter. The solution to that situation would simply have been a bridge deal for Morrissey. Or barring that, trade Perreault. Dicking around with Trouba would never have been the preferred option.
TBH my preferred solution to a possible cap crunch is to let Wheeler walk. He’s awesome, but at his age that WILL be a bad contract. If not immediately then within a few years.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
TBH my preferred solution to a possible cap crunch is to let Wheeler walk. He’s awesome, but at his age that WILL be a bad contract. If not immediately then within a few years.

I'm torn by the prospect of extending Wheeler. There is a term and money I would approve of but he probably gets more of each, in which case, I agree, it will be a bad contract.

But if we are going to let him walk, I lean toward moving him now. I know, I know, window, cup, go for it, own rental, etc, etc. But good teams keep their window open and stay in contention by knowing when to cut the cord on older players and getting value for them before they age out rather than waiting until they are worthless.

Reactions: Bigfish

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
I'm torn by the prospect of extending Wheeler. There is a term and money I would approve of but he probably gets more of each, in which case, I agree, it will be a bad contract.

But if we are going to let him walk, I lean toward moving him now. I know, I know, window, cup, go for it, own rental, etc, etc. But good teams keep their window open and stay in contention by knowing when to cut the cord on older players and getting value for them before they age out rather than waiting until they are worthless.
I'm on board with this same sense of thinking TBH. It's hard to really come to grips with it, but once you do and focus on the future of continuing to build a dynasty it's a needed evil. Plus the return for a top 5 RW in the game should be pretty damn good.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think Myers has to play a full season to get another contract from Chevy. Otherwise you let him walk, trade Trouba for cost effective Ristolainen (Morrissey-Buff, Niku-Ristolaien, Kulikov-Poolman). Myers money goes to Laine and Connor's raises. Add Veselainen to the core. Wheeler I hope comes back at 4/$25 m. Front loaded.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I think Myers has to play a full season to get another contract from Chevy. Otherwise you let him walk, trade Trouba for cost effective Ristolainen (Morrissey-Buff, Niku-Ristolaien, Kulikov-Poolman). Myers money goes to Laine and Connor's raises. Add Veselainen to the core. Wheeler I hope comes back at 4/$25 m. Front loaded.
Ristolainen is costly, but there are questions about his effectiveness...

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
"I think Myers looks great. Stats are dumb".

Not exactly a basis for debate
Fine, infer that from what I said if you want *shrugs*

I have always stated that stats are over and misused around here. I don't think they are dumb. I'm not going to let someones interpretations of statistics make me betray my eyes. Now THAT would be dumb.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
But you said you were happy with 5million which is WAY to much for a guy who needs to be in sheltered bottom pair role to be successful. Even if you signed him for that we'd be short a top 4 D-man on the right side
When did 5 million become 6+ million?

I sure hope someone does your budgeting for you :laugh:

Also, I didn't say I'd be HAPPY with 5MM. Why do people insist on twisting words around here?

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
First, Myers is not very good and I wouldn’t mind seeing him being moved. We really can’t afford him.

Second, Buff is not sheltered. That’s frigging ridiculous! One of the guys playing the most minutes in the NHL sheltered? The things I read on this board, oh my! :O

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Trade Wheeler and sign Stone as a free agent.
Wheeler and Trouba for Klefbom, RNH and Bouchard.

Reactions: Tommigun

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Myers on TSN 1290 today, said Winnipeg is home to him and his family and he will do everything he can to stay with the team after this season.

I like Myers, but not at 5.5m. If we could do something under 5m, then I would be interested.

If Trouba doesnt want to commit, Myers may be the much cheaper option, one that lets us keep most of our forward crop

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Myers on TSN 1290 today, said Winnipeg is home to him and his family and he will do everything he can to stay with the team after this season.

I like Myers, but not at 5.5m. If we could do something under 5m, then I would be interested.

If Trouba doesnt want to commit, Myers may be the much cheaper option, one that lets us keep most of our forward crop
Heard some of the interview as well. I think Myers gives the Jets a real team friendly deal to stay.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

he wont sign at much under what he is getting now. which for a 28 year old rd who would play 2nd pairing pp pk is not expensive.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
he wont sign at much under what he is getting now. which for a 28 year old rd who would play 2nd pairing pp pk is not expensive.
They can only afford Myers if they move Trouba for a young cheap return and / or picks.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Technically, he is only getting 3mill this season, which would be a solid aav :thumbu:.

At 5.5 mill, for a 29 year old that has shown cracks when his usage increases, I would be hesitant for sure.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Technically, he is only getting 3mill this season, which would be a solid aav :thumbu:.

At 5.5 mill, for a 29 year old that has shown cracks when his usage increases, I would be hesitant for sure.
trouba will be gone and they will not sign him to be a 3rd pairing guy nor would he want that role. he only is getting 3 because he got the bulk of his money early . doubt he signs for under 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad