Tyler Myers next contract?

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Well, to be accurate Stuart and Thorburn were below replacement-level players, for multiple years before they finally left. Their considered strengths were intangible because all the tangible results were not NHL - level.

I think Myers is still NHL quality, but it's more 3rd pairing and we should really be using cheaper ELC D for that role.

Well he doesn’t suck

Just over the last season Myers has become the new disliked player, seems like this fan base always need at least one of them each season.

Whenever that happens whoever that player(s) is they get extremely under appreciated and their short comings are extremely overblown. Next thing you know It snowballs and they way they get talked about here you would think they aren’t even NHL quality players.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Funny, whenever he moved up the lineup he was clearly outmatched. That’s not a 3/4, that’s much more a 4/5.

I think you were confusing him with Toby Enstrom. Our first playoff run, we were matching him against Ovechkin and such. Successfully. Who were the slouches than he and Buff torched 4 on 4 against Nashville? He was a momentum changer against Vegas, no matter on the 1st or last pair. He's a top 4 defenseman on a team that had 3 solid right d. I'd say he would be an upgrade on at least half of the teams top 4 RD.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think you were confusing him with Toby Enstrom. Our first playoff run, we were matching him against Ovechkin and such. Successfully. Who were the slouches than he and Buff torched 4 on 4 against Nashville? He was a momentum changer against Vegas, no matter on the 1st or last pair. He's a top 4 defenseman on a team that had 3 solid right d. I'd say he would be an upgrade on at least half of the teams top 4 RD.

What? Is this a joke?

Reactions: KCjetsfan and csk

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Heard some of the interview as well. I think Myers gives the Jets a real team friendly deal to stay.

I can't believe that he would be team friendly enough. IMO, he is a 2.5-3 mil Dman. Maybe his scoring from last year is enough to get him a little bump up from that to 3.5.

If he would accept that, I don't see how we could afford him under the cap. Well, if Trouba is gone, I guess there would be room even to go a little higher than that. He shouldn't get more though.

I like Myers. I like some aspects of his play. He was exposed last year playing 2nd pair though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Who said anything about overpaying?

Also if the jets do not resign Myers, that will be Myers and Trouba the jets will no longer have.

Let’s be honest Trouba is out of here ASAP.

If it was ASAP he would be long gone already. He is likely here for this season and maybe the one after.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
$3.5 M isn't an overpay for a veteran 4/5 defenseman. While he has a few warts not many teams have a better bottom pairing RHD.

#4 is 2nd pair. He is a #5, 3rd pair. What is the going rate for a #5 D? Off the top of my head, I don't think it hits 3 mil.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
#4 is 2nd pair. He is a #5, 3rd pair. What is the going rate for a #5 D? Off the top of my head, I don't think it hits 3 mil.
IMO Myers gets terribly under rated around here. He has his warts but he is not nearly as bad as many make him out to be. It's not like he is Chairot. I called him a 4/5 because ideally he is the best 1/2 of your bottom pairing, but can move up into the 2nd pairing when needed. I also think Myers sticks around a lot longer than most posters assume.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
IMO Myers gets terribly under rated around here. He has his warts but he is not nearly as bad as many make him out to be. It's not like he is Chairot. I called him a 4/5 because ideally he is the best 1/2 of your bottom pairing, but can move up into the 2nd pairing when needed. I also think Myers sticks around a lot longer than most posters assume.
Not what most posters assume. What most posters would like.

Reactions: Grind

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I’m saying Trouba is wanting to get out of here ASAP.
Not sure, think he is quite prepared to play this year out, hit arb next and get an increase, then hit the open market. We need to move him before then

In the end we will have had him for six seasons, couple of cup runs, and if managed properly we could end up flipping for some solid assets

Last edited:
Reactions: probablywrongbut

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not what most posters assume. What most posters would like.
Not sure why everyone is so down on Myers. Maybe because of his cap hit? Maybe because we don't like tall players? But if you go to Corsica and compare the Jets defensman across a broad range of statistical measures Myers consistently lands in the middle of the pack. Morrissey, Trouba and Buff are consistently our top defensman no matter what measure you use. After that Myers, Toby and Kulikov jump around in the middle with point generating stats consistently favouring Myers. Chairot is way down the list. When you look at playoff numbers Myers jumped up with the big boys. I can see people not liking his current cap hit but he is easily our 4th best defenseman at this time. Added to that is a lack of RHD depth in the organization, but everyone still wants to run him out of town. Isn't it better to hope Chevy gets him for a good cap hit and continue to have him as part of the team?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Not sure why everyone is so down on Myers. Maybe because of his cap hit? Maybe because we don't like tall players? But if you go to Corsica and compare the Jets defensman across a broad range of statistical measures Myers consistently lands in the middle of the pack. Morrissey, Trouba and Buff are consistently our top defensman no matter what measure you use. After that Myers, Toby and Kulikov jump around in the middle with point generating stats consistently favouring Myers. Chairot is way down the list. When you look at playoff numbers Myers jumped up with the big boys. I can see people not liking his current cap hit but he is easily our 4th best defenseman at this time. Added to that is a lack of RHD depth in the organization, but everyone still wants to run him out of town. Isn't it better to hope Chevy gets him for a good cap hit and continue to have him as part of the team?
Yes Myers is better than Chariot and a heck of a lot more expensive too. How much do you really want to pay for the 4th best d-man. If he is willing to sign really cheaply, fantastic. I think however, the beginning numbers for negotiations will start with 4 or 5 million dollars. Is a guy who plays 3rd d pairing minutes worth 4mil?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes Myers is better than Chariot and a heck of a lot more expensive too. How much do you really want to pay for the 4th best d-man. If he is willing to sign really cheaply, fantastic. I think however, the beginning numbers for negotiations will start with 4 or 5 million dollars. Is a guy who plays 3rd d pairing minutes worth 4mil?
We don't know what he will sign for. What we do know is that going into this season he is our 4th defenseman so why do we all feel a need to s*** all over him. He seems like a really nice guy that loves playing in Winnipeg. Kind of the opposite of Trouba.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I believe so, one that gets you 3o to 35 points, plays pp and pk, can move up your lineup when needed, solid leader. If you can backfill 4 to 6 with young cheap prospects like Niku, Samberg, Stanley, you can work him in easily should we cut ties with Trouba.

Myers on a 4 mill 5 year deal is easily moveable imo

Last edited:
Reactions: dlam

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Yeah no doubt. Myers will never be a top pair guy again but he is very good as a 4th defenseman when he's the second best guy on a second pair. He proved his worth in the post season too.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I believe so, one that gets you 3o to 35 points, plays pp and pk, can move up your lineup when needed, solid leader. If you can backfill 4 to 6 with young cheap prospects like Niku, Samberg, Stanley, you can work him in easily should we cut ties with Trouba.

Myers on a 4 mill 5 year deal is easily moveable imo
Depends on what it means big picture. If it mean so bridging Roslo or Connor and Roslo looks amazing I say trade Myers.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Well he doesn’t suck

Just over the last season Myers has become the new disliked player, seems like this fan base always need at least one of them each season.

Whenever that happens whoever that player(s) is they get extremely under appreciated and their short comings are extremely overblown. Next thing you know It snowballs and they way they get talked about here you would think they aren’t even NHL quality players.

No he’s actually a bad player and does more bad for the team than good. If he wants to sign for a mil and be our 7th D then I’m all for that but some other team will stupidly overpay him and we will laugh.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No he’s actually a bad player and does more bad for the team than good. If he wants to sign for a mil and be our 7th D then I’m all for that but some other team will stupidly overpay him and we will laugh.
Myers is better than a #7. Boxcar stats and underlying stats place him at about a 4/5 defenseman. On the Jets especially now that Toby has gone back to Sweden he is easily #4. Chairot on the other hand is a true #7 by whatever measure you want.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Bad player? If that is the case, then half the Dmen in the league are bad players.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

His offense is pretty good. He defends the rush pretty well. But he is very weak in the D zone. Better opposition really took advantage of him. I really did not like him on the 2nd pair.

If Trouba is not traded, we can't fit him under the cap. I'm not confident that Trouba goes after this season. I'm calling that 50/50 until something changes.

Edit: He is starting to look like the new whipping boy. Its a dirty job but somebody has to do it. :laugh: I guess its a good thing when that improves from Stuart to Myers. :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Apparently there will be alot of Jet fans in shock when Myers signs his next deal.
He's only getting another deal with the Jets if Trouba doesn't sign long-term. In that case, I would see Myers getting 4.5-5.5M on 4-5 year deal, depending on his health and performance this season.

That's my prediction, not my preference.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I think the concern/dislike of Meyers has been primarily his usage and his cap hit vs his ability.

He's been a solid number five bucks has been used as a 2-3 more often then not. That tends to tank opinion, especially when you their have been better options.

We're paying another number five (Kulikov) 4 mil.

Anything close to those numbersnns bad news bears for this team.

I agree that Meyers is a very servicible number five, but at the price Itll cost is much rather have a worse player on an ELC and that value improving a legit top four or on our insane forward depth.

Reactions: Jack722 and Whileee

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the concern/dislike of Meyers has been primarily his usage and his cap hit vs his ability.

He's been a solid number five bucks has been used as a 2-3 more often then not. That tends to tank opinion, especially when you their have been better options.

We're paying another number five (Kulikov) 4 mil.

Anything close to those numbersnns bad news bears for this team.

I agree that Meyers is a very servicible number five, but at the price Itll cost is much rather have a worse player on an ELC and that value improving a legit top four or on our insane forward depth.
I agree with this. In a third pairing role, I'm not sure Poolman doesn't provide almost as much as Myers does, at a small fraction of the cost. I'm not convinced that Poolman wouldn't be a better 2nd pairing option this year, either.

I'm always hopeful, though. Maybe Myers' health has been holding him back, and he'll come roaring back with a big season. It's a real long-shot, but that would be a dream scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad