Tyler Myers next contract?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not a big fan of moving Myers to LD, because I'm not sure he'll perform in that role and I think Buff would need a differ type of partner. Still, I think Maurice would like to try it for a while and it does a couple of good things for the line-up...

1) It allows Morrissey-Trouba to play much bigger minutes. With Myers on RD, it cut into Trouba's 5v5 ice-time. Give Trouba and extra 1.5-2.0 minutes to run him up to 23 minutes or so.

2) It gives Poolman regular ice-time on 3rd pair with a decent partner, like Kulikov, or maybe Morrow. Interestingly, Poolman had very good numbers in about 60 minutes alongside Morrow last season.

I think Poolman is the wild card in the Jets' D situation. If he shows that he can play top-4 minutes with a good partner, it opens up a lot of different options for the Jets going forward.

I think you have nailed it.

Hope I'm wrong and Myers thrives at 2LD, but I think that chance is remote - at best.

Poolman needs to take a pretty big step forward to be able to play 2nd pair IMO, regardless of partner. I think we will see it in TC though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets RD
Without Trouba
Then Myers

And possivle decline of Buff in 2 years.

Jets D are &#^#&#&÷!!

Yup. Put Myers back in there and it isn't a lot better. He isn't good enough defensively to make a big difference.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not sure why everyone is so down on Myers. Maybe because of his cap hit? Maybe because we don't like tall players? But if you go to Corsica and compare the Jets defensman across a broad range of statistical measures Myers consistently lands in the middle of the pack. Morrissey, Trouba and Buff are consistently our top defensman no matter what measure you use. After that Myers, Toby and Kulikov jump around in the middle with point generating stats consistently favouring Myers. Chairot is way down the list. When you look at playoff numbers Myers jumped up with the big boys. I can see people not liking his current cap hit but he is easily our 4th best defenseman at this time. Added to that is a lack of RHD depth in the organization, but everyone still wants to run him out of town. Isn't it better to hope Chevy gets him for a good cap hit and continue to have him as part of the team?

Its none of that. It is his play in our end. Nothing more. When he played 2nd pair, it really stood out. Playing 3rd pair against weaker opposition, not so much. So he is a great 3rd pair D and a weak 2nd pair D. The best, most team friendly contract he is likely to sign is above 3rd pair cost.

The perceived need to move him goes with the assumption that we can keep Trouba - or that we keep him for 2 years as an own rental. Assuming Trouba gets 6 in arb for the '20 season, there is no room for Myers at 3+. If Trouba is moved after this season then we could keep Myers, at least for a while. But Myers is not a 4 mil D man unless he scores even more than last year.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
No he’s actually a bad player and does more bad for the team than good. If he wants to sign for a mil and be our 7th D then I’m all for that but some other team will stupidly overpay him and we will laugh.
It’s posts like this that show of out of touch with reality some people are.

You basically called Myers not an NHL level player. (Face palm)

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
I’d rather have Poolman as the third pair RD making 750k. Poolman brings as much on the defensive side as Myers and who knows what his offensive side may be.

Good teams don’t pay third pair guys lots of money and give them term.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He’s a third pair guy making first pair money
Except we have no idea what his next contract will be. His current contract fits within the cap and maybe his next doesn't. But for now in a season we are all in on he is our 4th best defenseman. If he is on the 3rd pairing that gives us a 3rd pairing above most of our opponents which helps keeps Buff's minutes in a reasonable range where he is most effective. This helps us be a better team.

Reactions: GNP

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Except we have no idea what his next contract will be. His current contract fits within the cap and maybe his next doesn't. But for now in a season we are all in on he is our 4th best defenseman. If he is on the 3rd pairing that gives us a 3rd pairing above most of our opponents which helps keeps Buff's minutes in a reasonable range where he is most effective. This helps us be a better team.

I’m fine with him on the third pair but we’ve already got his replacement on the roster for next year making a fraction of the money.

If Trouba is gone that hole needs to be replaced with an equal player not one who’s far less talented.

Reactions: Grind

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I wouldn't mind seeing Tyler sign a nice team friendly contract. But in today's world, I just don't see it. A 28 yr old D, 6'7" Calder trophy winner? There are enough Gms who are still going to give him 7*6M +. His stock is still high.

From my perspective, I would love to have him here, but that $ won't work for us.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Yes, in general the issue i'm seeing is some are saying/proposing that if we were to loose Trouba we should sign meyers because we need something and I do not agree one bit.

Meyers does not "shore up" our defensive depth or help mitigate the loss of Trouba, if anything resigning him would exacerbate it as it takes cap dollars away from whatever real replacement we go after (either via trade or FA).

Saying that if we lose our top pairing d-man we need to make sure we sign a third pairing guy so we can play him on the second pair doesn't make any sense. They are not connected. It's a terrible waste of cap regardless.

Additionally there's no upside with Meyer's, he is what he is at this point. Now you can spend (lets say dollars at actual value) 1-2 mil on Meyers for the third pair and have a third pair dman, or spend 1 mill on a younger third pair dman that might actually have some growth in him.

Reactions: Jack722

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
The problem with your scenario is that Myers sucks.
I liked this comment. Not because I agree with it, but because it's funny. I appreciate funny people even IF they're incorrect. I imagine that Myers would sign $3.5 x 4 with us. I'm guessing he could get $5.25 x 3 on the open market. We gave him personal time when he had serious family stuff going on. My impression of Myers as a person says he'll take significantly less money to remain with the club.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I liked this comment. Not because I agree with it, but because it's funny. I appreciate funny people even IF they're incorrect. I imagine that Myers would sign $3.5 x 4 with us. I'm guessing he could get $5.25 x 3 on the open market. We gave him personal time when he had serious family stuff going on. My impression of Myers as a person says he'll take significantly less money to remain with the club.
If the Jets have traded Trouba, and Myers is willing to sign for 3.5-4M on a 4-5 year term, the Jets have to consider that. If Trouba is signed long-term, Myers isn't even in the conversation.

At least he could take some of Buff's minutes, which would put the Jets in a better place, right? :sarcasm: (Tableau Public)

Jets WAR D.png

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Interesting.

A big problem with the analysis is "selection bias". Players that are forced to play their off-side are often inferior. A top player seldom gets forced to play his off-side for extended periods of time, unless he prefers playing his off-side (see under "Trouba, Jacob"). Jay Harrison playing RD is different from Jonas Brodin. Also, players that play their off-side are often doing so on a short-term emergency basis, often due to an in-game injury. In those circumstances, the team is mixing pairings on the fly, so there is more than just "handedness" coming into play.

Interestingly, the analysis found that the zone exit deficiency for off-handed D was essentially eliminated among D that played more regularly on their off-side. That suggests that D can and do adjust to their off-side, if it's in a stable situation.

I'm not a big advocate for Myers on LD with Buff, but mostly because I think they aren't that compatible in terms of playing style, and I don't think Myers should have heavy / tough minutes in any situation. However, I wouldn't mind a Poolman-Myers 3rd pairing, especially if Kulikov is slow out of the gate. I think Poolman or Myers on LD would be an improvement on Chiarot.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Buff and Myers seems like a recipe for disaster in more ways then one. Would prefer a simple safe guy with Myers any day. Think Chiarot really handicapped Myers in the playoffs. Think those two would be the worst compatible guys for each other and bring out their worst.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Myers is a decent second pairing D-man and an elite third pairing D-man. We could do much worse that re-signing Myers.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Buff and Myers seems like a recipe for disaster in more ways then one. Would prefer a simple safe guy with Myers any day. Think Chiarot really handicapped Myers in the playoffs. Think those two would be the worst compatible guys for each other and bring out their worst.
I wouldn't mind trading Buff for draft picks and using that money to re-sign Trouba.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Count me as one of the excited fans to see a Buff-Myers pairing. As Pierre McGuire would say...That's an awful lot of humanity to barge through on your way to the net. :wg:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad