Tyler Myers next contract?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Count me as one of the excited fans to see a Buff-Myers pairing. As Pierre McGuire would say...That's an awful lot of humanity to barge through on your way to the net. :wg:
if that's the defining factor lets put stanley there, it's his proper hand AND he's big!

for real though i hate this. It's bad and it's going to go bad. We're taking a mediocre player and putting him in a bad position expecting him to play too many minutes, against too tough of competition, and on his offside.

it's bad and i hate it.

it's bad.

Reactions: MasochisticHamster

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
if that's the defining factor lets put stanley there, it's his proper hand AND he's big!

for real though i hate this. It's bad and it's going to go bad. We're taking a mediocre player and putting him in a bad position expecting him to play too many minutes, against too tough of competition, and on his offside.

it's bad and i hate it.

it's bad.

So you don't share my excitement then?:sarcasm:

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Myers is a decent second pairing D-man and an elite third pairing D-man. We could do much worse that re-signing Myers.

Nothing Tyler Myers has ever done outside of his first season in the NHL has been elite except his size.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I agree with this. In a third pairing role, I'm not sure Poolman doesn't provide almost as much as Myers does, at a small fraction of the cost. I'm not convinced that Poolman wouldn't be a better 2nd pairing option this year, either.

I'm always hopeful, though. Maybe Myers' health has been holding him back, and he'll come roaring back with a big season. It's a real long-shot, but that would be a dream scenario.

I sure hope Poolman gets a good shot this year. There’s a lot to like in his game and there’s some offence there too.

Reactions: Jets4Life

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
On the ice for 5 of 7 goals against this year. In the box for a 6th.

But really... What type of stupidity is this thinking Chiarot is top 4.. Morrow and Chiarot.. Only 1 should be playing. Sending Niku down was dumb

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think we'll be able to trade him for playoff help. But I think he should be traded soon as his value is high as we speak and can land us something like a second round pick alone.

His value is quickly going to go down unless he finds his way again.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Myers trade value is nothing and has been for years. He’s always been massively overrated. The only potential to get anything was if an organization overrated him too, thinking he still has another level to get to. Problem is he’s soon to be 29 years old. He is what he is, a 3rd pairing liability,

I wish we had taken nothing in the off-season. Could have used that cap space for someone who can help us win games.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Myers trade value is nothing and has been for years. He’s always been massively overrated. The only potential to get anything was if an organization overrated him too, thinking he still has another level to get to. Problem is he’s soon to be 29 years old. He is what he is, a 3rd pairing liability,

I wish we had taken nothing in the off-season. Could have used that cap space for someone who can help us win games.
I find that hard to believe. Defense is always at a premium in this league.

You're not wrong in that we should have ditched him in the summer. That cap space could have been used better...

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
I find that hard to believe. Defense is always at a premium in this league.

You're not wrong in that we should have ditched him in the summer. That cap space could have been used better...
On what? Kulikov?

Reactions: GNP

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
LeBrun: GMs taking the wait-and-see approach in contract...
I wrote last week that Myers’ agent J.P. Barry would soon talk with Winnipeg Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff about his client, and according to a source, that meeting occurred on Saturday in Toronto. While there wasn’t any contract talks regarding the pending UFA, I suspect part of the conversation was trying to get clarity on where Myers fits into Winnipeg’s plan moving forward. He’s playing on the third defence pairing when obviously he’s a top-four talent. But on a team with fellow righties Dustin Byfuglien and Jacob Trouba, it’s always been a juggling act for head coach Paul Maurice to find enough minutes for all three studs.

I know this much, even if Myers isn’t signed to an extension by the Feb. 25 trade deadline, I don’t believe the Jets would consider trading him. They’re all-in trying to win again this year and regardless of his contractual situation, they want their best possible roster entering the playoffs.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think the Jets would like to sign Myers in the $ 5 mil range, and that would give them a lot of depth, and scoring punch when you need it. I know there's a lot of Myers bashers on here, but I think he's pretty good, and so do a lot of other posters.

The knock on Myers is he's bad in the defensive zone, and sloppy with the puck, but I've also seen Buff, Trouba and Kulikov make their fair share of mistakes. The most reliable puck handler is Morrissey.

It's my guess that the Jet's would like to keep to their winning ways,and Myers was a big part of it last year. I think he gets signed in the $ 5 mil range over 4-5 years.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think the Jets would like to sign Myers in the $ 5 mil range, and that would give them a lot of depth, and scoring punch when you need it. I know there's a lot of Myers bashers on here, but I think he's pretty good, and so do a lot of other posters.

The knock on Myers is he's bad in the defensive zone, and sloppy with the puck, but I've also seen Buff, Trouba and Kulikov make their fair share of mistakes. The most reliable puck handler is Morrissey.

It's my guess that the Jet's would like to keep to their winning ways,and Myers was a big part of it last year. I think he gets signed in the $ 5 mil range over 4-5 years.
Not with the Jets I hope. He mishandles the puck 5 to 10 times as much as Buff. Open your eyes. I'd have traded him the season before he got injured. If Trouba stays, no way they are paying close to 20m for their 3 right handed defencemen.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

I would hope the Jets would be smarter then to sign a 3rd pairing defenseman to that kind of money.

Reactions: surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I agree some of the Myers bashing is over the top. He does have a few warts, but he can also come through with some offense, and he was strong in the playoffs. I see him as a 4/5 defenseman. Someone who can step up the line up, but in a perfect world provide you with a good 3rd pairing. He is over paid for that role as he has never lived up to the promise he held coming out of his ELC. At the same time I think he really likes Winnipeg and like Lowry will leave a little on the table to be a mid range player on a contender over squeezing out a few extra dollars on the open market. A see something like 4 X 4.25. I have little doubt Trouba will be gone after this season so we can't be too depleted on our backend.

folix

Jul 24, 2011

it's bad and i hate it.

it's bad.

This has been Pomo's M/O for I dont know how long.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Myers is replaceable. The other two rh dmen, not as much. Plans should be made to replace him. Likely with Poolman,if they feel he’s ready, or with Niku.

If you want some size and defence, Poolman is your guy. If you want offence, Niku is ready to replace Myers’ offence.

Either way, don’t see Myers back next year due to needing the cap space. If they don’t move him at the deadline for picks or prospects that’s a mistake. He’s not the difference in a short or long playoff run. In fact he might hinder a long playoff run by how he is playing currently.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
The jury is still out on Poolman. I hope they re sign Myers for about 4m per year. I keep going back to the playoffs when he elevated his game. That is an underrated factor on this board in my opinion.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I personally don't want him back unless we get him for a significant pay cut (likely not happening) starting next year we can't afford a 5 million bottom pairing dmen, especially with Kulikov still on the books.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
The time to trade Myers was this past summer. His 5.5m could have been utilized to keep Stastny OR find an alternative option. However, I realize the Trouba situation definitely made that very un-doable...

Next summer will be VERY interesting when this whole situation comes to a head..

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Part of the issue will be term. Would we want him for another 5 years at the same current cost?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Part of the issue will be term. Would we want him for another 5 years at the same current cost?

I wouldn’t want him at his current price for one year so I don’t see how money/cap hit isn’t the real issue. He has to take a pay cut or we’re gonna regret it.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I would like to have Myers in the team, but with a moderate paycut. He is much better than he gets credits for, and many are beyond ridiculous bashing him as he certainly doesn't look good to their eyes. But still at 5.5M with current cap situation including longish contracts for Little and Wheeler he just might be too expensive going forward.

I really really liked Myers on playoffs, excluding a couple of games. This season he is having "slow start" but so are eg. TOP-6 forwards, Chiarot, Chiapet and did I already mention Big-Ben? And Morrow, his partner.

Reactions: GNP and Saintb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->