Tyler Myers next contract?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I would like to have Myers in the team, but with a moderate paycut. He is much better than he gets credits for, and many are beyond ridiculous bashing him as he certainly doesn't look good to their eyes. But still at 5.5M with current cap situation including longish contracts for Little and Wheeler he just might be too expensive going forward.

I really really liked Myers on playoffs, excluding a couple of games. This season he is having "slow start" but so are eg. TOP-6 forwards, Chiarot, Chiapet and did I already mention Big-Ben? And Morrow, his partner.

Bold: As bad as Myers can look on the ice (and that's pretty effin bad), he looks even worse on paper via his analytics. Bottom of the barrel there. Not worth a moderate paycut. Try slashing like all the Elm Street movies rolled into one.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If he could see the D zone like he does the O zone, he would be worth the cash he is getting; however, he is horrible in his zone.
We get enough O from Buff and Morrissey is turningon his O game so I really don't think we need Myers' O as much as other teams would...trade him.
He'd probably do well in Dallas.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Myers is one of the more inconsistent players on the Jets, in my view. He can be very good for stretches, and then poor for others. When he's good, he's moving the puck quickly and not stuck with his "analysis paralysis". Early this season he was really struggling, but I think he's been improving over the past several games.

Myers' performance has been related to his partner. He has a positive Corsi metric with Kulikov, Morrissey, Trouba and Byfuglien. He's been in the red with Enstrom and anyone else. Interestingly, his best partner in terms of Corsi is Buff, at over 55%. Where they have struggled is in preventing high danger chances, which Buff struggles with unless Enstrom is with him. So even though it looked bad on preseason, I still think it is reasonable to consider Myers with Buff instead of Chiarot, and give Poolman a shot with Kulikov or Niku on the 3rd pair.

Reactions: Jet and 10Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree some of the Myers bashing is over the top. He does have a few warts, but he can also come through with some offense, and he was strong in the playoffs. I see him as a 4/5 defenseman. Someone who can step up the line up, but in a perfect world provide you with a good 3rd pairing. He is over paid for that role as he has never lived up to the promise he held coming out of his ELC. At the same time I think he really likes Winnipeg and like Lowry will leave a little on the table to be a mid range player on a contender over squeezing out a few extra dollars on the open market. A see something like 4 X 4.25. I have little doubt Trouba will be gone after this season so we can't be too depleted on our backend.

His offense has been largely on the PP. This year he is getting less PP time and he has 1g and 1a. He is not a 4/5 because his weak D is exposed on the 2nd pair. He can't play up, see previous sentence. He doesn't help the situation when Trouba leaves because he isn't good enough defensively.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
His offense has been largely on the PP. This year he is getting less PP time and he has 1g and 1a. He is not a 4/5 because his weak D is exposed on the 2nd pair. He can't play up, see previous sentence. He doesn't help the situation when Trouba leaves because he isn't good enough defensively.

I fear that at the bargaining table Chevy's eyeballs will turn into those hypnotic spirals that cheap movies use, indicating he's under a trance of tallness. He will then have a Logan Stanley vision and re-sign Myers to a penthouse deal.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Part of the issue will be term. Would we want him for another 5 years at the same current cost?

I wouldn't want him for another 1 year at his current cap hit. I wouldn't want him for 3 mil either. If he stays it has to be for 3rd pair money. That is <2 mil. That is not happening.

Reactions: Jack722

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wouldn’t want him at his current price for one year so I don’t see how money/cap hit isn’t the real issue. He has to take a pay cut or we’re gonna regret it.

Even at the biggest conceivable pay cut he would be getting too much. There is no pay cut he would realistically accept that would be enough - regardless of term.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Myers is one of the more inconsistent players on the Jets, in my view. He can be very good for stretches, and then poor for others. When he's good, he's moving the puck quickly and not stuck with his "analysis paralysis". Early this season he was really struggling, but I think he's been improving over the past several games.

Myers' performance has been related to his partner. He has a positive Corsi metric with Kulikov, Morrissey, Trouba and Byfuglien. He's been in the red with Enstrom and anyone else. Interestingly, his best partner in terms of Corsi is Buff, at over 55%. Where they have struggled is in preventing high danger chances, which Buff struggles with unless Enstrom is with him. So even though it looked bad on preseason, I still think it is reasonable to consider Myers with Buff instead of Chiarot, and give Poolman a shot with Kulikov or Niku on the 3rd pair.

Granted he has been better lately than he was early in the season. Quite a bit better in fact. He is still a 3rd pair D. I don't see any chance of him signing for 3rd pair money.

He may have a positive Corsi with Buff but that is a small sample and only late in games we were trailing. His Corsi benefited from score effects. He was a gong show with Buff in TC. There is no reason to expect that to change substantially. Putting him with Buff is putting 'can't play D' with 'won't play D'. So nobody plays D.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I fear that at the bargaining table Chevy's eyeballs will turn into those hypnotic spirals that cheap movies use, indicating he's under a trance of tallness. He will then have a Logan Stanley vision and re-sign Myers to a penthouse deal.

I have nightmares about that. :laugh:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I agree with @Whileee about his inconsistent play. For some stretches he might be TOP-2 D for the Jets, for another he is barely better than Chiarot, so barely a 3rd line guy.

In summary, most advanced stats there are available list him as lower tier 2nd pair D, last season.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You should take a look a little deeper around the league. Most teams would love a Myers level defenseman at 4/5. Christ 1/2 the league would love a 3/4 at a Myers level. There is a real shortage of good defenseman across the league, you should never throw away those that you can keep.

Reactions: GNP

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
You should take a look a little deeper around the league. Most teams would love a Myers level defenseman at 4/5. Christ 1/2 the league would love a 3/4 at a Myers level. There is a real shortage of good defenseman across the league, you should never throw away those that you can keep.
and his offence during the playoffs was huge for us if he was even just a little better in his own end he would be making 7 or 8 mill a year

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hes a good 3rd pair guy to have but I can't see how we afford him past this season.
IMO this is what the discussion should be. We will never have all 6 D better than Myers. You can't afford that in a cap world. Instead of shitting on him at every opportunity the discussion should be how much can we afford to keep him at.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
IMO this is what the discussion should be. We will never have all 6 D better than Myers. You can't afford that in a cap world. Instead of ****ting on him at every opportunity the discussion should be how much can we afford to keep him at.

No doubt. But to me it's just he exits to a needy team and we plug Niku into the 2nd/3rd pair with PP role

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
No doubt. But to me it's just he exits to a needy team and we plug Niku into the 2nd/3rd pair with PP role
I actually think Myers pp role is filled by Buff and Morrissey and they ease Niku into pp role as Buff slows down. Unless of course they go 2 d on pp so Niku Buff.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He has improved lately, but did you watch him in our first 5 games? He has periods of that kind of play. Too many of them. He was completely lost in his own end. No idea where to go or what to do. This seems to happen every time he moves up a bit on the depth chart. He has some offensive skill but that is mostly on the PP. He defends well against the rush. But once the opposition gets possession in our D zone he is bad.

Yes, there is a real shortage of good defensemen across the league. He is a symptom of that shortage.

He and Kuli formed a very good 3rd pair last year. For a cap hit of over 9.8 mil. How many teams spend even half that on their 3rd pairs? Or a quarter of that? How many spend that much on their 2nd pair?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Granted he has been better lately than he was early in the season. Quite a bit better in fact. He is still a 3rd pair D. I don't see any chance of him signing for 3rd pair money.

He may have a positive Corsi with Buff but that is a small sample and only late in games we were trailing. His Corsi benefited from score effects. He was a gong show with Buff in TC. There is no reason to expect that to change substantially. Putting him with Buff is putting 'can't play D' with 'won't play D'. So nobody plays D.
His CF% with Buff is very good after adjusting for venue and score, according to Corsica.

He was a gong show period in TC and early season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
His CF% with Buff is very good after adjusting for venue and score, according to Corsica.

He was a gong show period in TC and early season.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe his sample with Buff is quite small. Mostly just late in games we were trailing last year. Also, Buff seems to make everybody look good.

Myers may be able to play offense with Buff. He has a hard time defending on his natural side. It can only be worse on his off side.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe his sample with Buff is quite small. Mostly just late in games we were trailing last year. Also, Buff seems to make everybody look good.

Myers may be able to play offense with Buff. He has a hard time defending on his natural side. It can only be worse on his off side.
Sample size isn't huge.

Myers problem is moving the puck more than defending the rush, etc. Buff makes it easier to move the puck because he's always talking and he is doesn't leave his partners with tough options with the puck. It might not be ideal, but I'd bet Myers would be better than Chiarot with Buff.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sample size isn't huge.

Myers problem is moving the puck more than defending the rush, etc. Buff makes it easier to move the puck because he's always talking and he is doesn't leave his partners with tough options with the puck. It might not be ideal, but I'd bet Myers would be better than Chiarot with Buff.

I don't see moving the puck as being Myers' problem. I see recovering the puck in the D zone as his problem. I see him in front of our net doing nothing but screening our goalie as his problem.

I'd take that bet.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I feel like "no next contract" is the best contract option here, though I like TM fine in the OZ. Don't see the Jets moving him before the TD, especially given his PO performance last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad