Confirmed with Link: TYLER MOTTE TO NYR

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
Not sure how I feel about this. Motte was good in a 4th line role last year, but Gauthier definitely created offense in ways that were not often seen from 4th line players on this team. Problem is Blais and Leschyshyn were black holes offensively and that always hindered Goat this year IMO.

Would have liked to see how Goat did without an anvil on his line, then I think I'd be able to assess this trade better.
Cause Gauthier has become better than a fourth liner. Bad deal. It will show if they let Gauthier play with good players.

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
Cause Gauthier has become better than a fourth liner. Bad deal. It will show if they let Gauthier play with good players.
He might. In which case, we can’t afford him and will, at best, get a 3-4th rd pick in return. Which is what it would’ve cost to acquire Motte. Its sensible asset management, unless you feel like Drury should be done adding

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They should have signed Motte...and we could still have Gauthier here.....he will score 20 in Ottawa . Oh well....that is why Drury gets the big bucks to make the Motte-Blais type deals .
IIRC all the reports were that Motte was holding out for a two-year deal which is why he didn't sign until the middle of September. Obviously he didn't get it, but the Rangers weren't going to wait around.

As far as Gauthier, I do think he's a decent bottom six option, but we don't really have much space for a RW who doesn't score much and doesn't kill penalties. He cleared waivers earlier this year and it's not like he has suddenly become a dramatically different player since then. He is what he is. If he ends up becoming that guy who blossoms at 26, good for him.

Seems like a reasonable move, trading a guy with very limited value and who likely wasn't in your plans for a guy who fills needs on your current roster.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Not sure how I feel about this. Motte was good in a 4th line role last year, but Gauthier definitely created offense in ways that were not often seen from 4th line players on this team. Problem is Blais and Leschyshyn were black holes offensively and that always hindered Goat this year IMO.

Would have liked to see how Goat did without an anvil on his line, then I think I'd be able to assess this trade better.

Gauthier has arbitration rights after this season. Given the Rangers cap situation, he wasn't coming back here anyway so it's kind of a moot point. Motte brings more of what the Rangers want on their 4th line heading into the playoffs. It's good for Gauthier if Ottawa expands his role.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Motte's had a really rough year so far, gonna need him to be a lot better than he was with Ottawa.
He just signed there because the Rangers couldn't squeeze him in on our cap at the time. He just needed to start training camp somewhere is what I suspect. I could be wrong. I'm glad he's back and I know for a fact he wanted to be here all along.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Not saying I'm going to miss Gauthier, because he's a fringe 4th liner. But he did everything right for my eye. Fought and battled hard, never complained about his role. Godspeed in your career Goat, hope you can stick around. Even a career 4th liner is still a hell of an achievement. I hope he can manage that.

That said, I'm very excited in getting Motte back. Also credit Drury for making all of his business well before the deadline. Identify your needs, and make it happen.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Motte's had a really rough year so far, gonna need him to be a lot better than he was with Ottawa.
First month of the season started out like banshee. No excuse but obviously has slowed down and I don't watch the sens but I am sure playing for a non playoff team is not the best motivator.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Gauthier is too big IMO. He gasses way too easily.

He's good after he's scratched for that reason then quickly fades.

He needs to go the Kreider route and cut some muscle. He can't play with consistent pace/effort and that has effected him

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It’s pretty clear Gallant didn’t really trust Gauthier but Gallant hates Krav more and couldn’t play him so he was forced to play Gaut

I don’t think Gauthier will light it up somewhere else but it has the potential to bite the Rangers

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Good luck to Goat, I was always a fan. Hopefully he makes the best of the opportunity in OTT.
No doubt in my mind that was the best spot for him . Close to his home Province and Ottawa is young and improving and a guy with his size and speed will only make them faster . I'm just glad he is not a Hab today . Watch Tkachuk be a big help to him and inspire him to be more physical.....then they will have something in him .

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
1676834752917.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland