Confirmed with Link: Tyler Kennedy released in camp, now back on another PTO

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I doubt we can trade Matteau to anyone at this point unless Lou still likes him. He's basically in purgatory otherwise.

Maybe the team that red rooster drunk face works for now might be interested?

Oh wait, he didn't get hired by anybody because he sucks.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You're giving Matteau a bit of credit calling him someone of consequence.

With Lou here, I'd agree with you, but I don't think Hynes and Shero hate the Rangers.

It's still hard to trade with a blood rival. I don't remember the Penguins and Flyers doing many trades. People act like it's ONLY a Lou thing not trading with a rival but really it's not. Did the Blackhawks and Red Wings ever do many trades, for an example? Or the Rangers and Islanders for that matter.

Sure, but what I meant was that if Shero drafted him I'm sure he'd be a little more patient. Shero has no ties to this player and probably wants him gone as much as all of us do.

To be fair Shero hasn't really streeted Lou's prospects YET. And Matteau wasn't exactly playing much under Lou either.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not gonna complain about not forfeiting that pick, because we got one back, despite it being another number 30 pick and missing out on a top 10 or 12 or whatever it was.

I don't really like this pick though, I haven't thought much of Matteau since his first audition.

If he does indeed turn out to be nothing though, we won't know for sure if it was the senseless need to have him during the lockout season, or if it was just another ''David Conte 2005 and beyond first round forward pick bust special''.

If I had it my way, Conte is probably out 5 years ago before that pick was even made.

In all fairness though, we did get Severson that draft. So maybe I'll just pretend that he was our first round pick that season, just like I'm pretending Henrique was our first round pick in 2008.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Don't know why so many people are complaining so much about the Matteau pick... look at the 2012 draft. not many players that are currently better than him were drafted after... only players i see that are clearly better are Pearson, Paquette, and Severson.... and we have Severson

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Don't know why so many people are complaining so much about the Matteau pick... look at the 2012 draft. not many players that are currently better than him were drafted after... only players i see that are clearly better are Pearson, Paquette, and Severson.... and we have Severson

Biggest complaint is Lou should have given that pick back to the league.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Biggest complaint is Lou should have given that pick back to the league.

I think the worst thing Lou did was bring him up and used up a year on his ELC.

He should have been able to play in the AHL this year still, if he weren't prematurely brought up.

For 3 points, 17 games and a non playoff season. Not to mention we only wound up picking up a bunch of bums like Uncle Jesse and Dagowhateverhisnamewas anyway. We also had Bobby Butler that year. A list of fairly young guys that aren't even in the league anymore. Well Kostopoulos wasn't exactly young, the others are still in their 20s and gone from the league.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The fact that they brought back Tyler Kennedy after he left 7 weeks ago, tells me they probably would like to sign him.

I really didn't want him to make the team because I thought it was gonna come down to him making the team vs Stempniak making the team. And I definitely wanted Stempniak over him.

Now it seems that this wasn't really the case, it never really was gonna come down to him or Stempniak.

I'd like him on the 3rd line, as I feel he'd bump Tootoo down to line 4 and he's a better player than Tootoo.

I thought he stunk with the Sharks, but he wasn't as bad in the second year as he was the first year. I also thought it was a waste of a second round pick for them, we wouldn't be paying a second round pick for him. Just a very cheap contract after a PTO.

I'm signed up. Push Tootoo down to line 4 and maybe push O'Neill out of the lineup altogether. He might also be better than Ruutu is at this point too.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
It's still hard to trade with a blood rival. I don't remember the Penguins and Flyers doing many trades. People act like it's ONLY a Lou thing not trading with a rival but really it's not. Did the Blackhawks and Red Wings ever do many trades, for an example? Or the Rangers and Islanders for that matter.
Many? No.

But we did trade Chico to the Flyers 30 years ago, and the Isles traded Jyri Niemi to the Rangers. Not that he's ever played in the NHL... :sarcasm:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The fact that they brought back Tyler Kennedy after he left 7 weeks ago, tells me they probably would like to sign him.

I really didn't want him to make the team because I thought it was gonna come down to him making the team vs Stempniak making the team. And I definitely wanted Stempniak over him.

Now it seems that this wasn't really the case, it never really was gonna come down to him or Stempniak.

I'd like him on the 3rd line, as I feel he'd bump Tootoo down to line 4 and he's a better player than Tootoo.

I thought he stunk with the Sharks, but he wasn't as bad in the second year as he was the first year. I also thought it was a waste of a second round pick for them, we wouldn't be paying a second round pick for him. Just a very cheap contract after a PTO.

I'm signed up. Push Tootoo down to line 4 and maybe push O'Neill out of the lineup altogether. He might also be better than Ruutu is at this point too.

I think what we're working with is:

Cammalleri-Henrique-Stempniak
Kalinin-Zajac-Palmieri
Tlusty-Josefson-Kennedy
Farnham-Gionta-Tootoo

I'm very intrigued to see what happens when Elias gets back. Maybe we see a bottom-6 of..

Elias-Josefson-Tlusty
Farnham-Gionta-Kennedy ?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think what we're working with is:

Cammalleri-Henrique-Stempniak
Kalinin-Zajac-Palmieri
Tlusty-Josefson-Kennedy
Farnham-Gionta-Tootoo

I'm very intrigued to see what happens when Elias gets back. Maybe we see a bottom-6 of..

Elias-Josefson-Tlusty
Farnham-Gionta-Kennedy ?

The bolded lines make sense for now.

Kennedy is better suited on a line with guys that can pass the puck.

And Tootoo is a 4th liner and has looked atrocious on the 3rd line this season.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Kennedy would be an interesting add to the team.

I cant help but wondering if plans will changed given how this team has played so far. Meaning perhaps Shero is going to try and find a way to add bottom 6 scoring vs. just letting the team play and playing more for the future then this season.

Kennedy does have more goal scoring skill then most of the bottom 6 and does add that element. Cant help but wonder if Shero is out looking for a bottom 6 center to replace Gio and either move Josefson down or play behind him.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

A little off topic, but the Hawks traded Chelios to the Wings in 1999. Chelios was the Blackhawks captain and won two Norris trophies there.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I think Kennedy can help the bottom six, based on what he showed in preseason. Ideally, he moves up with elias-josefson, unless tlusty can get his **** together and earn that spot back.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If he plays on the 4th line (with Tootoo on the 3rd) I think it's a waste, since we have an overabundance of 4th liners anyway.

You would think that he was signed in the first place due to how offensively challenged our bottom 6 (particularly line 3) has been this season. That would seem to make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad