Confirmed with Link: Tyler Kennedy released in camp, now back on another PTO

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Interesting, I thought he was flat out cut in camp but apparently he asked for a release then because of personal reasons:

@TGfireandice: Kennedy was in camp on tryout before having to leave team for personal reasons. Will practice with Devils today in Calgary.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Interesting, I thought he was flat out cut in camp but apparently he asked for a release then because of personal reasons:

@TGfireandice: Kennedy was in camp on tryout before having to leave team for personal reasons. Will practice with Devils today in Calgary.

Yeah he had to miss the last couple of preseason games 'cause he held himself out, remember? Really unfortunate for him because he was turning heads before that, much to my chagrin.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think they're gonna use him as a 4th liner only.

He can't possibly be any worse than Tootoo though, so he can play 3rd line if Tootoo is sent to the 4th.

I think Tlusty's time here is winding down. He was brought in to provide offense and hasn't.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think they're gonna use him as a 4th liner only.

He can't possibly be any worse than Tootoo though, so he can play 3rd line if Tootoo is sent to the 4th.

I think Tlusty's time here is winding down. He was brought in to provide offense and hasn't.

Yeah I think O'Neill and Tlusty are the ones on notice, in that order.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Yeah I think O'Neill and Tlusty are the ones on notice, in that order.

I am confident that O'Neill will get waived if TK is signed.
I'm also confident that he will clear waivers and report to Albany, where he should have success.

I had mentioned last week that I don't think Tlusty fits into our style/system.
He has looked dreadful aside from in the season opener where he "scored" and had a few chances.
All downhill from there.

We do need a guy like Tootoo in the lineup since he will drop the mitts and stick up for teammates, but he's minus-13 and lacks any hockey sense.
He's a better fit on the 4th line IMO.

Gionta and O'Neill are a combined 34 games, 0 goals, 3 assists, minus-10.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think it'd be a mistake to move on from Tlusty. If we do, it'll just be another plug taking his place, and likely with even less chance of a future payoff.

Besides, as it is, with the minutes he's been getting and with whom, he's still outscoring Gionta and Tooto at even strength and is tied in PP points with Henrique and Severson. And that's with way less ice time, of course. Tlusty's offensive struggles are more a symptom of the team's lack of firepower than a cause, IMO.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think it'd be a mistake to move on from Tlusty. If we do, it'll just be another plug taking his place, and likely with even less chance of a future payoff.

Besides, as it is, with the minutes he's been getting and with whom, he's still outscoring Gionta and Tooto at even strength and is tied in PP points with Henrique and Severson. And that's with way less ice time, of course. Tlusty's offensive struggles are more a symptom of the team's lack of firepower than a cause, IMO.

Tlusty has been awful in every facet of hockey though.

Turnover machine, gets owned on the boards, no speed, puck fumbler, can' score.
I had warned about him in the summer but he was a low risk signing.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Tlusty has been awful in every facet of hockey though.

Turnover machine, gets owned on the boards, no speed, puck fumbler, can' score.
I had warned about him in the summer but he was a low risk signing.

The problem for him is that the top 6 is clicking without him. I think he'd be better suited with better linemates than Jake and Tootoo. Maybe Patty can find a rhythm with him. I don't want to give up on him just yet, but he does need to be better.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This means O'Neill is out. Clearly. Tlusty and Matteau are safe.

Right now but eventually someone else will need to go to make room for Elias/Ruutu 'if' we're assuming Kennedy takes O'Neill's place. And fwiw Kennedy isn't even signed YET. Farnham's actually been good so far and pretty much won a spot ftm.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd give Tlusty a little more time, but his start to this season and end to last season with Winnipeg is looking pretty ugly.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
No way we cut Tlusty, he's had a rough start but he's at least produced in the NHL before. Also, isn't he playing with Josefson and Tootoo? Not exactly much offensive firepower on that line, he needs someone to feed him the puck, he'll probably get a shot on a line with Elias is my guess.

Cammalleri - Henrique - Stempniak
Kalinin - Zajac - Palmieri
Elias - Kennedy - Tlusty or Tlusty - Elias - Kennedy (not a big fan of Elias at C personally)
Farnham - Josefson - Tootoo
Extra(s): Ruutu, Gionta

Gives us a decent amount of options at least, who knows when Ruutu will be back and we can always just rotate Gionta/Farnham depending on whether we need more grit for certain games or not.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wasn't suggesting the Tlusty would likely be cut with an addition of Kennedy.

Just that he might be getting a little cozy up in the press suite.

And if the team is still doing well and most of the lineup is healthy on forward, I could see that leaving Ruutu as the odd man out.

I don't see Ruutu as a guy that's gonna be an automatic to be back in once he he's healthy, like Elias will be. He's already been a healthy scratch once this year before the injury.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I don't see Ruutu as a guy that's gonna be an automatic to be back in once he he's healthy, like Elias will be. He's already been a healthy scratch once this year before the injury.

Ruutu isn't very good anymore, the difference between him, Farnham and Gionta playing on the fourth line isn't really going to make or break our team. They're all mediocre :laugh:

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
first thought upon hearing this news was it's the end of o'neill

hadn't considered tlusty but I'm thinking they rank him above o'neill on utility for now

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Ruutu isn't very good anymore, the difference between him, Farnham and Gionta playing on the fourth line isn't really going to make or break our team. They're all mediocre :laugh:

No, he's not. He stinks as a hockey player now.

Slow and weak on his skates, always goes offsides, hardly makes the smart play.

He is willing to take the body though, his only asset at this point.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I would like Kennedy and Elias to replace Gionta and O'Neill

Cammalleri-Henrique-Stempniak
Kalinin-Zajac-Palmieri
Elias-Josefson-Tlusty
Farhnam-Kennedy-Tootoo

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Fully agree with this.

I'd like to see him play on a line with Patty. Playing with guys like Josefson and Tootoo isn't exactly a way to showcase oneself offensively.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Fully agree with this.

I'd like to see him play on a line with Patty. Playing with guys like Josefson and Tootoo isn't exactly a way to showcase oneself offensively.

I think and hope Elias will slot in as 3LW creating a line of Elias-Josefson-Tlusty. I think With JoJo's speed and Elias' playmaking ability, Tlusty will benefit. We know he can score goals. He needs some help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad