Confirmed with Link: Tyler Kennedy released in camp, now back on another PTO

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I was worried we had signed him or were rumored to sign him when the thread got bumped :P

The fact we're over a month into the season and nobody else has signed him speaks volumes. The fact we've had room for an extra forward all this time and haven't signed him speaks volumes. We picked Brian O'Neill and Bobby Farnham over him :laugh:

lol I had the exact same reaction when I saw the bump. I want nothing to do with Tough Guy TK. We have an ideal amount of stopgaps right now.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I hope this means either Gionta or O'Neill get lost. I can't stand watching those two.

pretty much, gotta think kennedy can at the very least bring a tad more to the table than those two. so hopefully if he sticks, it is at the expense of one of those two.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't hate it.

If management wants a guy like O'Neill out of the lineup, and doesn't want to throw a guy in Albany to the wolves and play small-role minutes, I don't mind Kennedy being brought in.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
O'Neill got his one and only NHL point last game, he can go to the AHL for the rest of his career now. Though when Ruutu and Elias come back and if Kennedy is signed one or more of Gionta/Farnham/Matteau will need to go too.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I couldn't possibly type enough "ugh's" to justify my dislike of this move. I never liked Kennedy, and I was really liking the new "no new 30-year-old middling-to-bad bottom-6 forwards on the Devils" direction Shero was taking us for a month or two.

And lord knows it's not gonna be Gionta, Farnham, or Tootoo sitting when everyone's healthy. Guaranteed it's Josefson or Tlusty.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Realistically speaking, he's a better hockey player than most of our current bottom 6 options. This should spell the end of O'Neill which is fantastic, as he's clearly not an NHL caliber player.

At least Kennedy has put up some points in the past, getting 20 points out of him in a 3rd/4th line role isn't unrealistic given his past production, which is better than what we're going to get from Ruutu, Gionta, O'Neill or Farnham (he won't keep scoring like he has).

Not to mention, it means the likes of Blandisi/Boucher can stay in the AHL and keep working on improving their games.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
MEME-AreYouKiddingMe.jpg~c200

Again?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
About damn time!!!!

Send O'Neill to Albany and let him help down there, he's a proven AHL goal scorer but not good enough for the NHL.
He will clear waivers.

Kennedy is an upgrade to O'Neill (and Gionta) but Gio will stay up here for now.

He will chip in more than Tlusty has so far.

Last edited:

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
He's better than O'Neill and Gio. Nothing wrong with this move, he'll be a nice addition to the fourth line until Elias and Ruutu get healthy.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I doubt Matteau gets waived. Not much point in giving up a relatively young asset like him. I think it's O'Neil who will be the odd man out. If he clears waivers, he could help Albany. I think he's just a career AHL guy.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Do not want.

Elias and Ruutuu coming back should take care of O'Neill and maybe Gionta or Farnham.

don' t see how this guy is any better than Matteau getting reps - and in our long term future, the return for playing is the damage done to Matteau's future so...

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Do not want.

Elias and Ruutuu coming back should take care of O'Neill and maybe Gionta or Farnham.

don' t see how this guy is any better than Matteau getting reps - and in our long term future, the return for playing is the damage done to Matteau's future so...

I hate to be that guy, but, Stef has been sitting for the likes two career AHLers who still don't belong up here (Gionta/O'Neill).

Farnham has even added more jump and production than Tlusty and Tootoo-who is devoid of hockey sense.

I see Hynes going with a 4th line of Farnham-Gionta-Kennedy.
It's a quick 4th line that will not shy away from contact.
Tyler is also more than capable of filling in on the 3rd line at times when needed.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Despite my objections, I'd still rather see Kennedy as 3RW than Tootoo, but I'm sure that won't happened. Hynes seems to be as enamored with grit as Deboer was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad