Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
And to think Tyler Johnson was both a Coyote and Wild camp-invitee. Think about that...

Think also about how it was Al Murray, while scouting for Hockey Canada (I think), who Johnson impressed enough to stick in his head, the key here being that this was before he was even working for the Lightning. Thankfully, Yzerman hired Murray, who brought Johnson to his attention (according to the articles) pretty much immediately.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=747864&navid=DL|NHL|home

Six Biggest Suprises From The First Half

5. Johnson emerging as Lightning leader

On a team with Steven Stamkos, it's pretty surprising to see an undersized, undrafted forward lead the Tampa Bay Lightning in scoring. But Tyler Johnson, who has played one fewer game than Stamkos, is tied for fifth in the League with 45 points, five more than Stamkos.

"I think [Johnson's] got unbelievable skill and determination and he's a pretty smart player," Stamkos said.

Johnson's improbable journey to the NHL started when he was cut from a United States Hockey League team at age 17 in 2007. He joined the Spokane Chiefs of the Western Hockey League and helped them win the 2008 Memorial Cup; the next two seasons he had 132 points in 126 games with Spokane and played for the United States at two World Junior Championships, but all it got him was a tryout with the Minnesota Wild. In 2010-11 he led the WHL with 53 goals and was second with 115 points; that earned him a contract with the Lightning. After starring for two seasons in the American Hockey League, he became a full-time NHL player last season and now is blossoming into a star.

"I've kind of always been put down just because of my size (5-foot-10, 182 pounds)," Johnson said. "People didn't really think I could play. I never really thought that I was going to be drafted, and I didn't really care. I was having fun, I was playing hockey, I was doing everything I wanted to do. … I had to go a different route and it just kind of worked."

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...s-to-practice-victor-hedman-still-out/2213823

TAMPA – Forward Tyler Johnson (lower-body injury) returned to practice Thursday in a red, no-contact jersey. Although he isn’t expect to play tonight, he could still return before the All-Star break.

“Very encouraging…” coach Jon Cooper said after Thursday’s morning skate at Amalie Arena. “He’s a lot closer than 77.”

No. 77 is defenseman Victor Hedman, who remains sidelined with a lower-body injury. He didn’t skate Thursday, and Cooper isn’t sure whether he’ll be ready to return in either of the other two remaining games before the All-Star break.

“Too hard to speculate on,” Cooper said.

Johnson seemed less sure of his status than Cooper. He said he’s feeling better since he left Monday’s 7-3 loss at Philadelphia with the injury.

“That’s up to the medical staff and the coaching staff,” Johnson said of a return date. “I’m just trying to get better every day, trying to feel better and see where that lands me.”

Johnson leads the team with 46 points and is second in the league in plus/minus (25). Those statistics helped him become a first-time NHL All-Star.

Given the injury, Johnson said he’s unsure whether he’ll even be able to play in the Jan. 25 game.

“It’s really cool, but if it’s missing an All-Star game or missing a regular-season game, I’d miss the All-Star game before that,” Johnson said. “I’m more worried about the team right now. That’s priority No. 1. Whatever’s going to help the team, whether it’d be going to that or resting, that’s what you have to do.”

That bolded part is one of the reason why we love this guy so much, just amazing.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I know I might get flamed for saying this. This guy is Captain material. Straight up.

He's got a great attitude and a team first mentality. We're really lucky to have a lot of guys like that to help make a winning culture here.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Is he playing tonight? Yahoo says cooper said no, but it looks like hes on the box score? Could use him for my fantasy pool quite a bit. Especially padding his stats vs the oil.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is he playing tonight? Yahoo says cooper said no, but it looks like hes on the box score? Could use him for my fantasy pool quite a bit. Especially padding his stats vs the oil.

He's playing but I don't think he's at 100%.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Didn't take the league lead in scoring, 25% at best

He leads the league in even strength scoring. ;)

It's getting interesting now, because Stamkos is returning to form and yet I think there's a case to be made that Johnson is still our best player. For the moment, anyway.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He leads the league in even strength scoring. ;)

It's getting interesting now, because Stamkos is returning to form and yet I think there's a case to be made that Johnson is still our best player. For the moment, anyway.

More like the other way around, it's undebatable as to who's been the better player this year, the only way Stamkos might take that away is if he outscores Johnson by 20 points at seasons end.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
And some of us predicted him to regress. He's 2 points away from last year's totals, what the hell did this guy do in the offseason

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Yahoo Sports NHL @YahooSportsNHL
#NHL: Even-strength pts

Johnson 38
Seguin 36
Getzlaf 36
Voracek 35
Kucherov 34
Tarasenko 33
Kane 32
Malkin 32
Nash 32
Ribeiro 32
Hudler 32

Not bad

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
TyJo had a good article in the paper today here in Spokane that I thought you guys might like to see too. You can read it here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad