Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Johnson's a winner simple as that..I hope he is on this team for a very, very long time! He would make an excellent future captain.

gorbs27

Feb 20, 2006
http://thehockeywriters.com/lightning-prospect-profile-tyler-johnson/

A shameless plug for myself because, hey, I'll probably never get to do it again.

I know I'm not alone in this, but I was baffled Johnson was never drafted. Obviously extremely pleased the Lightning scooped him up and gave him a chance, which is all he ever needed, to blossom. Love watching him play the game. It is a treat indeed.

Great article from The Spokesman!

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=750017

This was a nice read. Didn't know he was thinking of retiring from hockey although that's definately something a player can think about going back for overage year in juniors. I sure as hell am glad his father spoke some sense into him. :laugh:

Alot of small players get compared to Marty but if there ever will be another Marty, it's Tyler. There are so many similarities between them. Both are obviously small, both have great wheels, both are good playmakers and they both have that chip on their shoulder to prove everybody wrong. They both also train like crazy and have that work ethic what makes good players great. The one difference between them is that Johnson is alot better defensively.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=750017

This was a nice read. Didn't know he was thinking of retiring from hockey although that's definately something a player can think about going back for overage year in juniors. I sure as hell am glad his father spoke some sense into him. :laugh:

Alot of small players get compared to Marty but if there ever will be another Marty, it's Tyler. There are so many similarities between them. Both are obviously small, both have great wheels, both are good playmakers and they both have that chip on their shoulder to prove everybody wrong. They both also train like crazy and have that work ethic what makes good players great. The one difference between them is that Johnson is alot better defensively.

The chip on Tyler's shoulder is a lot different than Marty's too. Marty had/has a sort of angry fire to him (which fire ultimately turned against us and blew up in our faces). I don't think Tyler's turning anger into fuel. He seems a lot happier.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
Yeah Marty had his anger to sustain him, Tyler's is more like plain determination to prove everybody wrong, but it doesn't come from anger.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah Marty had his anger to sustain him, Tyler's is more like plain determination to prove everybody wrong, but it doesn't come from anger.

Agreed but that anger also pushed him to perform higher in the playoffs and come through in clutch times, we'll see how Johnson performs.

Last edited:

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
The chip on Tyler's shoulder is a lot different than Marty's too. Marty had/has a sort of angry fire to him (which fire ultimately turned against us and blew up in our faces). I don't think Tyler's turning anger into fuel. He seems a lot happier.

I agree he doesn't have that anger Marty had. I meant that he has the same determination and work ethic in his training. All he needed was a chance like Marty. Many teams weren't ready to give that chance to him just because he was small, even if he had the skill and now every one of those teams who had him at their camp and didn't sign him are kicking themselves.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I agree he doesn't have that anger Marty had. I meant that he has the same determination and work ethic in his training. All he needed was a chance like Marty. Many teams weren't ready to give that chance to him just because he was small, even if he had the skill and now every one of those teams who had him at their camp and didn't sign him are kicking themselves.

I'm not so sure it comes from "proving people wrong," which obviously it did with Marty. I'm not saying that's not part of it for Tyler too, but it seems like he has a drive to be the best player he can be and it comes from something other than simply proving anybody wrong. I picture Marty going to sleep at night imagining how he's stuck it to every scout who told him "no." I can't see Tyler doing that. And I don't think he holds those kinds of grudges (I do think Marty holds those grudges--not saying it's a bad thing). Tyler just seems like a guy who worked his tail off to get what he wanted, but the goal was to get what he wanted moreso than to prove to other people that he could. Not sure that's the case with Marty.

There's a nice spot in the article where Tyler talks about how he'd become bitter playing hockey and his father told him to just go out there and get back to having fun. And he did have fun. I think he's still having fun. But I don't think anyone ever had that conversation with Marty.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Tyler is going about showing that a guy his size can play defense and offense which Marty was not able to do.

Other than size just totally different in many ways. Tyler is humble for example and doesn't crave a spotlight like Marty who didn't hide his ego at all.

That said I love both of these guys but I still have an bad after taste with Marty.

Last edited:

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
Tyler is going about showing that a guy his size can play defense and offense which Marty was not able to do.

Other than size just totally different is many ways. Tyler is humble for example and doesn't crave a spotlight like Marty who didn't hide his ego at all.

That said I love both of these guys but I still have an bad after taste with Marty.

It's going to take a while with MSL. The whole thing was just sour. Winning a cup with Cally would certainly help

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Other than size just totally different in many ways. Tyler is humble for example and doesn't crave a spotlight like Marty who didn't hide his ego at all.

Not sure where you get this from... and I mean yeah he left on bad terms but lets not make stuff up.

St.louis led the league in +/- in 04, came 4th in selke voting as a winger and for 3 years was a regular on the PK unit averaging the same ice time Johnson does on the PK, through those 3 seasons he scored 16 short handed goals and 26 short handed points.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

I'm really worried he is gonna burn himself out. I love the fire and compete level from the kid, but if he's hurt he needs to rest. I'd rather have him miss a few games now than play through it and go down for the playoffs (like Bishop)

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I'm really worried he is gonna burn himself out. I love the fire and compete level from the kid, but if he's hurt he needs to rest. I'd rather have him miss a few games now than play through it and go down for the playoffs (like Bishop)

I agree, now if we were struggling to get into the PO right now then I could see them needing him to play but as it looks him getting a few games rest wouldn't hurt and could be good for him. I rather he sits out the rest of the games in Januray and be ready and 100% healthy by the first game in February.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
TJ has earned a lot of my respect for bowing out of the pathetic ASG to get healthy for the next game that actually means something. Hats off to him.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
You can't help but admire his attitude, he's a real pro already:

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I'm not surprised by this at all, you could tell that something was wrong after that fall.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We're not starving for points. We should sit Johnson if we need to. He's too important to risk.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I'm hoping he rests up a game or two. We're deep at forward, even without him. Let one of the kids get into the line-up while he gets back to 100%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad