Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We'll know what's going to happen with Stamkos long before TKO's contracts come up. So we're in good shape in that regard.

Kucherov needs an extention the same year Stamkos does, Palat and Johnson the following year, **** could hit the fan in 2017.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Johnson may be a UFA when his is up, but Palat is an RFA I think, so it shouldn't be *too* awful.

Can Kuch be extended this summer? If so, I'd love to get some six year, 4.5 million type of extension going.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Johnson may be a UFA when his is up, but Palat is an RFA I think, so it shouldn't be *too* awful.

Can Kuch be extended this summer? If so, I'd love to get some six year, 4.5 million type of extension going.

I know it's bit some teams in the ass before, but I'd love to see extensions with some length, clauses and cheaperino. I think Stevie can put it together.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
He said Tyler Johnson, who entered the game with a league-leading plus-26, is "going to be a superstar in this league." Lehner didn't say he thinks Johnson will be a superstar, he said he "knows" it.

"He's so smart out there," said Lehner, who played against Johnson in the minors. "There's a reason they didn't let him go, and they let (Cory) Conacher go.

"You saw it in the AHL level too. He was so good. He could take over games. He has that thing where he makes his linemates better, too."

Lehner believes Johnson is Tampa's modern day version of Marty St. Louis.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/01/04...lehner-has-very-high-praise-for-tyler-johnson

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I love this kid, he's been great and I think will be able to continue that. But with that said, I don't support the adding of huge expectations on the guy. He's supposed to be our 2C, though he's practically been #1 this season, and we know that he eventually will slow down a little this year.

I'm extremely happy to have him though. I thought there was a good chance he would end up a star after seeing him play last year and that seems to be more and more true as time goes on.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Kind of insane to think that this guy is about to match his totals from last year, in which he was a Calder finalist.

Still can't touch RNH's best season. If he was in the West he'd be garbage. It's because he's on a good team, put him on the Oilers and see what happens.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Still can't touch RNH's best season. If he was in the West he'd be garbage. It's because he's on a good team, put him on the Oilers and see what happens.

Yeah and you put Hall, Eberle, Boyd Gordon on this team they'd be on pace for over 100 points!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I love this kid, he's been great and I think will be able to continue that. But with that said, I don't support the adding of huge expectations on the guy. He's supposed to be our 2C, though he's practically been #1 this season, and we know that he eventually will slow down a little this year.

I'm extremely happy to have him though. I thought there was a good chance he would end up a star after seeing him play last year and that seems to be more and more true as time goes on.

I get that, but he's just this good. I don't mean that he's an automatic PPG guy--he'll have to prove that--but he's right there with our best players and one of the better players in the league. He's not only scoring, he's controlling games. I was watching the MTL broadcast tonight and I felt like they never stopped saying his name. But that's true almost every night. So I say we just enjoy it. It's a real, genuine feel-good story.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
I get that, but he's just this good. I don't mean that he's an automatic PPG guy--he'll have to prove that--but he's right there with our best players and one of the better players in the league. He's not only scoring, he's controlling games. I was watching the MTL broadcast tonight and I felt like they never stopped saying his name. But that's true almost every night. So I say we just enjoy it. It's a real, genuine feel-good story.

Agree with everything. I've liked his game since he came up

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Same, they also featrued the TKO line like 3 times talking about their scoring, defense and +/-, also had a laughable segment about Stamkos and how he's not actually having an off year by playing a clip of the goal he scored agaisnt Ottawa.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tyler Johnson, Steven Stamkos reminds me so much of the earlier Marty St. Louis Vinny Lecavalier story arc. Small undrafted under the radar stud who just performs versus the first overall franchise center, captain, etc, maybe even overtaking them eventually.

How Tampa stumbles on these players and actually gives them the room to blossom is a real credit to the franchise. I often wonder about how many would be superstars just get buried in organizations as minor league tweeners just because of some old school idiot running the show.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Tyler Johnson, Steven Stamkos reminds me so much of the earlier Marty St. Louis Vinny Lecavalier story arc. Small undrafted under the radar stud who just performs versus the first overall franchise center, captain, etc, maybe even overtaking them eventually.

How Tampa stumbles on these players and actually gives them the room to blossom is a real credit to the franchise. I often wonder about how many would be superstars just get buried in organizations as minor league tweeners just because of some old school idiot running the show.

I know Stammer's a #1 draft pick and all, but a lot of people predicted him to fail in the big boys league. If he and Johnny could turn into the next Marty/Vinny pairing...

Oh boy, we're in for some fun hockey over the next decade or two! :handclap:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Wish I could check capgeek to verify...

According to NHLnumbers.com he'll be a RFA in 2017-18: http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/TBL?year=2015

2016 through 2017 is going to be interesting. We would have to re-sign Stamkos, Kucherov, Killorn and Gudas followed by Johnson, Palat, Drouin, Boyle, Hedman and Bishop a year later. Our other big earners will all still be on our payroll then (Filppula, Callahan, Carle, Stralman).

Edit: Forgot about Bish.

Last edited:

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We're going to have to work the anti-jinx overtime to get TJ through all this attention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad