Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

BohemianRhandomly

Nov 3, 2014
Section 128
Don't get it. That's why he's so awesome. He's an outstanding player who genuinely seems to be having fun out there. He's also one of the first guys they get to do fan interaction stuff. He just seems like an all-around nice guy.

I love that about TJ. He's easy going, open to just about anything, always willing to talk or interact. Dare I say he has the perfect personality to be captain one day...? Yep, calling it right now. :nod:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This season, so far, yes. Stamkos is a passenger right now. The Triplets are going to have sore backs from carrying this team.

Now that TJ has the team's scoring lead, people around the league might actually start to notice how true this is.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Guess who's tied for third in league scoring. (Five-way tie... but still...)

I feel like Nic Petan's dad right now.

EDIT: Well, it was short-lived. He's now tied for fourth.

Last edited:

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Guess who's tied for third in league scoring.

I feel like Nic Petan's dad right now.

I was just looking at that stat line. Has he been the best player in the league this year? His line is obviously amazing, but at worst he is top 5 forwards or top 10 including dmen and goalies. I am so proud of that line. I cant remember ever seeing a line play hockey like that, it is beautiful.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I was just looking at that stat line. Has he been the best player in the league this year? His line is obviously amazing, but at worst he is top 5 forwards or top 10 including dmen and goalies. I am so proud of that line. I cant remember ever seeing a line play hockey like that, it is beautiful.

It's a weird mix of speed and tenacity IMO. Whenever they get in trouble they simply dump the puck into the corner because they know someone's going to win a battle. Also, the guys without the puck seem to know when to go to the corner before the puck is even dumped.

With Johnson though... The guy is still a +26 and he has 43 points in 40 games. He'll get no MVP consideration because of about a million factors, but he's clearly been our MVP.

Kucherov is getting scary good too, of course, which is hard to believe. Not that he wasn't good before, but he's clearly still improving. That's only going to help Johnson in terms of production, like it did tonight.

iwtb*

Johnson became my favorite forward almost straight away when he played in the NHL. I can't believe how did he not get drafted. Obviously because he's a Lightning and plays on the same team as Stamkos he doesn't get the media attention. I'm pretty sure half of people at the end of season are like "Who is this guy?" while looking at stats.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Johnson became my favorite forward almost straight away when he played in the NHL. I can't believe how did he not get drafted. Obviously because he's a Lightning and plays on the same team as Stamkos he doesn't get the media attention. I'm pretty sure half of people at the end of season are like "Who is this guy?" while looking at stats.

He's gaining a bit of notoriety. Last year it was funny because he would do the same thing you mentioned. It wasn't just him either, people would be like, "I've never even heard of half their roster," and then we'd own them. It's somewhat the same now, but to a much lesser extent. The Calder nominations for Palat and Johnson got a few more eyes turned their way.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Does anyone remember the exact game TKO got put together? It'd be interesting to see their individual numbers. Kucherov has to be at least a ppg since then. Palat would be close.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Does anyone remember the exact game TKO got put together? It'd be interesting to see their individual numbers. Kucherov has to be at least a ppg since then. Palat would be close.

I think it was the Winnipeg game. Maybe the Minny game after that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it was the Winnipeg game. Maybe the Minny game after that.

Just took a quick look at the WPG game and saw 18-9-14 on the ice.

My guess is it was the Arizona game after the Minny game. That was where Kuch scored his hat trick.

EDIT:

Assuming that's true, you have:

Kucherov -- 33 points in 32 games (16 goals)
Johnson -- 35 points in 31 games
Palat -- 24 points in 27 games

My math could be off.

Last edited:

iwtb*

Can anyone tell me how much he shoots compared to other guys? It feels like he doesn't take many shots, but his shooting is defentinely really good, as we saw in Pittsburgh game when he scored the hat trick. Perhaps that would be one way to make him even better player if that's even possible.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Just took a quick look at the WPG game and saw 18-9-14 on the ice.

My guess is it was the Arizona game after the Minny game. That was where Kuch scored his hat trick.

EDIT:

Assuming that's true, you have:

Kucherov -- 33 points in 32 games (16 goals)
Johnson -- 35 points in 31 games
Palat -- 24 points in 27 games

My math could be off.

Connolly got hurt in that game and Kucherov moved into his spot. Everyone hates on Connolly but if he didn't get hurt we might not have found that line like we did. Would've been nice if Connolly could've found that magic because I think Kucherov would've still got hot if he wasn't on that line, then having Connolly producing as well would've been nice.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I am gonna be really curious to see how stevie y navigates the cap in the next few years. You have several years before deals end, but a lot of guys are gonna want to be paid.

My 2 nightmares (this)

and Stamkos moving on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->