Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What's his value at these days? I know he's got 4 years left at 5M, but Minnesota could be looking at cheap centers, someone to play between some combination of Fiala, Kaprizov and Zuccarello. Is this a player you guys pay to get rid of (assuming he waives), or does he have some actual value still?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What's his value at these days? I know he's got 4 years left at 5M, but Minnesota could be looking at cheap centers, someone to play between some combination of Fiala, Kaprizov and Zuccarello. Is this a player you guys pay to get rid of (assuming he waives), or does he have some actual value still?

He'd have to waive and we can't take cap back but he's not going for peanuts either.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He'd have to waive and we can't take cap back but he's not going for peanuts either.

So what's a realistic ask from Minnesota? Assuming he waives, we wouldn't need to send any cap back, what's the cost?

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

He has value. Given the flat cap and the leverage his full NTC gives him in terms of limiting the number of potential bidders the return would likely be disappointing, but he’s certainly not in the realm of us having to pay to move him.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Johnson has actually showed some good hustle and play this series, but either way I think he's gone. He'll be valuable and able to get us a good to decent draft pick and some much needed cap relief.

He just couldn't ever get back into 2015 form.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What would the cost for Johnson to Columbus be?

Since you have no 2nd this year or next that makes it difficult. Gavrikov is probably off limits and probably prices himself out after this season. I would ask Texier, then Foudy, then Bemstrom. Not sure you want to move any of those for Johnson so don't know what deal there could be.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Since you have no 2nd this year or next that makes it difficult. Gavrikov is probably off limits and probably prices himself out after this season. I would ask Texier, then Foudy, then Bemstrom. Not sure you want to move any of those for Johnson so don't know what deal there could be.

Balancing would be hard. I can be honest and say I'd rather not give up any of those guys lol. Gavrikov, Texier and Foudy would certainly be nos. Bemmer had so much potential plus age/cost, I'd do it if I were more certain of TJ being capable as a 2C still (I'd certainly add depending on that).

Stenlund plus a pick?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Balancing would be hard. I can be honest and say I'd rather not give up any of those guys lol. Gavrikov, Texier and Foudy would certainly be nos. Bemmer had so much potential plus age/cost, I'd do it if I were more certain of TJ being capable as a 2C still (I'd certainly add depending on that).

Stenlund plus a pick?
What's the pick? You don't have a 2nd or 3rd this year nor a 2nd next. We don't really need Stenlund because we have our own wing prospects who need a spot, would one of your AHL goalies work better? We need someone to play net in Syracuse next year.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
What's the pick? You don't have a 2nd or 3rd this year nor a 2nd next. We don't really need Stenlund because we have our own wing prospects who need a spot, would one of your AHL goalies work better? We need someone to play net in Syracuse next year.

I think something around that would be very workable, we have quite a few goalie prospects.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
What would the cost for Johnson to Columbus be?

Realistically if we were to trade Johnson the cost would be the best offer of the teams for which he’s willing to waive his NTC*. Without knowing how many or which teams that would be it’s difficult to say with any degree of certainty what would constitute a winning bid. It’s pretty much a situation where, if he’s willing to agree to a trade, we’ll take what we can get for him with the real prize being the cap space.

* - that’s just looking at Johnson in a vacuum. Palat and Gourde are also options to move for cap space (I’m already assuming Killorn is gone), so what it would really come down to is a calculation of the value to us of each player willing to agree to a trade versus the value we can get in return. So you wouldn’t just be bidding against what other teams offer for Johnson but also against what they offer for Palat and Gourde as well (assuming either of them is willing to waive), since we would only need to move one of those guys to fix our cap situation.

Reactions: cslebn

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Maybe he wants that old thing back

I do. I’m still not convinced that Cooper is a great coach - I think what success we’ve had is due more to the overwhelming amount of talent on the team than what Cooper has done with it. I also see our situation potentially being similar to what the Bucs had under Dungy, where we underachieved for years and didn’t win the big one until we traded the calm, player-friendly coach for the more bombastic one who was able to light a fire under the players’ asses. I know it’s rare for a coach to return to his old team and reproduce the success he had there previously but I think Torts (or a coach like him) is just what this team needs.

All that said I would love for Cooper to prove me wrong this year. But if he doesn’t IMO it’s long past time for a change and I honestly wouldn’t mind a return of Torts one bit.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
When other teams are interested in a guy to play with there top six you might want to just reconsider dumping on the guy.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
When other teams are interested in a guy to play with there top six you might want to just reconsider dumping on the guy.

Yeah, I’ll never understand why so many Lightning fans on this forum are in such a hurry to get rid of him. He’s meant a lot to this franchise and still plays an important role for us. If we have to move on from him to keep younger, more important players then so be it but I’ll be sad to see him go.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah, I’ll never understand why so many Lightning fans on this forum are in such a hurry to get rid of him. He’s meant a lot to this franchise and still plays an important role for us. If we have to move on from him to keep younger, more important players then so be it but I’ll be sad to see him go.
It is much of the same bunch that dump on Killorn year after year when dollar for dollar he is among the best on the team. He pots 15 to 20 a year plays important roles on the PK and PP has went up and down the lines for years making his linemates better.

Reactions: aessi and DFC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad