Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Lightning' started by Tampa Bay Kiwi, Dec 27, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. Rschmitz

Rschmitz Yzermaned

School
    Home Page:
    You're abnormally high on Fox, but you are definitely entitled to your opinion on him as a prospect if you've watched him play. What I will staunchly contest is overlooking his status as a potential UFA and positioning our team to have 3 super raw RHD's all at relatively the same time frame. I'm all for dealing TJ, but it's to either A) Free up cap, B) Bring in immediate help, or C) Make room for this next wave of contributors from Syracuse to come up next season.

I don't think your proposal accomplishes any that. That is why I think you are undervaluing him, there should be several teams who can help us accomplish at least 2 out of 3 of the goals I mentioned.

2. HoseEmDown

HoseEmDown Registered User

I wouldn't say I'm abnormally high on Fox, there's plenty of services that have him ranked amongst the top 50 drafted prospects and top 10 for defenders. Him potentially refusing to sign is an issue but we've have two years to convince him and I see no reason why he wouldn't want to sign with us. We will have spots available for a RD going forward.

If Calgary eats 500k on Brouwer it frees up 1mil, not much but something and he could be moved again if needed. He's still a really good bottom 6 winger, would be the kind we could've used vs Washington. Fairly similar to Callahan though so would have an expensive bottom 6 RW's. He would be immediate help in the bottom 6 making it harder to play against, not a top 6 replacement for Johnson though. It would allow for one of the Syracuse kids to try to take that spot of move Gourde up.

I could see Fox or Foote on the bottom pair next year if we wanted. I would pair either with McDonagh to start. The following year the other comes up then Cernak the year after. We would be young but if we space it out we should be alright. To me Johnsons value isn't improving and it's not as high as it was. He's not looking as dynamic as he did in the past, he had a poor playoffs and while he's paid ok now the teams that will want him now probably can't afford him unless they send money back so we aren't getting huge cap relief from him. If we get futures its pieces we hope will be good while this one I know Fox will be and I see him as more a sure thing.

Sila v Kucherove likes this.
  3. Rschmitz

Rschmitz Yzermaned

School
    Home Page:
    Well, you're placing a lot of hope in our RHD youth. Are you expecting Butcher-esque performance by Fox?

4. HoseEmDown

HoseEmDown Registered User

Possibly, just depends on how he's used and adjusts to the league. Fox is only 20 with two seasons in the NCAA while Butcher was 22 with four years. Fox though has the more impressive resume especially at Fox current age, Butcher really improved a lot his last two years. I don't see Fox getting the PP time Butcher did to get his stats up so if you're expecting 40+ points it's not happening. I think he can spend some time in the AHL since we already have 7D signed for next year but once he makes the jump I see a 30+ point guy without PP time.