Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
What would you trade Johnson for? I'm high on Fox, I see as a the really good RD prospect. He's better than DeAngelo in everything but heaviness of his shot. Him Foote and Cernak would be a great RD group who are young and have a strong mix of abilities. That's why I'm ok taking some other bad parts because of how good I think he is. We get a 1st next year which is always a good piece and Calgary can't take Johnson without shedding cap. Brouwer is an upgrade on Callahan but that's not saying much. Hopefully we can just flip him either right away or later, we could retain a little and still save cap space.

You're abnormally high on Fox, but you are definitely entitled to your opinion on him as a prospect if you've watched him play. What I will staunchly contest is overlooking his status as a potential UFA and positioning our team to have 3 super raw RHD's all at relatively the same time frame. I'm all for dealing TJ, but it's to either A) Free up cap, B) Bring in immediate help, or C) Make room for this next wave of contributors from Syracuse to come up next season.

I don't think your proposal accomplishes any that. That is why I think you are undervaluing him, there should be several teams who can help us accomplish at least 2 out of 3 of the goals I mentioned.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You're abnormally high on Fox, but you are definitely entitled to your opinion on him as a prospect if you've watched him play. What I will staunchly contest is overlooking his status as a potential UFA and positioning our team to have 3 super raw RHD's all at relatively the same time frame. I'm all for dealing TJ, but it's to either A) Free up cap, B) Bring in immediate help, or C) Make room for this next wave of contributors from Syracuse to come up next season.

I don't think your proposal accomplishes any that. That is why I think you are undervaluing him, there should be several teams who can help us accomplish at least 2 out of 3 of the goals I mentioned.

I wouldn't say I'm abnormally high on Fox, there's plenty of services that have him ranked amongst the top 50 drafted prospects and top 10 for defenders. Him potentially refusing to sign is an issue but we've have two years to convince him and I see no reason why he wouldn't want to sign with us. We will have spots available for a RD going forward.

If Calgary eats 500k on Brouwer it frees up 1mil, not much but something and he could be moved again if needed. He's still a really good bottom 6 winger, would be the kind we could've used vs Washington. Fairly similar to Callahan though so would have an expensive bottom 6 RW's. He would be immediate help in the bottom 6 making it harder to play against, not a top 6 replacement for Johnson though. It would allow for one of the Syracuse kids to try to take that spot of move Gourde up.

I could see Fox or Foote on the bottom pair next year if we wanted. I would pair either with McDonagh to start. The following year the other comes up then Cernak the year after. We would be young but if we space it out we should be alright. To me Johnsons value isn't improving and it's not as high as it was. He's not looking as dynamic as he did in the past, he had a poor playoffs and while he's paid ok now the teams that will want him now probably can't afford him unless they send money back so we aren't getting huge cap relief from him. If we get futures its pieces we hope will be good while this one I know Fox will be and I see him as more a sure thing.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Well, you're placing a lot of hope in our RHD youth. Are you expecting Butcher-esque performance by Fox?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Well, you're placing a lot of hope in our RHD youth. Are you expecting Butcher-esque performance by Fox?

Possibly, just depends on how he's used and adjusts to the league. Fox is only 20 with two seasons in the NCAA while Butcher was 22 with four years. Fox though has the more impressive resume especially at Fox current age, Butcher really improved a lot his last two years. I don't see Fox getting the PP time Butcher did to get his stats up so if you're expecting 40+ points it's not happening. I think he can spend some time in the AHL since we already have 7D signed for next year but once he makes the jump I see a 30+ point guy without PP time.

Fritobandito3

Apr 7, 2019
Love this guy in the past. He has lost his mojo. Saw nothing from him with Stammer and Kuch. Only watched the first two periods last night. He needs to do more, esp considering his paycheck.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Just put him with Kuch and Point again. That’s the only situation he is useful in since Kuch can just feed him the puck in the slot and he can use his shot which is his only useful attribute at this point.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Just put him with Kuch and Point again. That’s the only situation he is useful in since Kuch can just feed him the puck in the slot and he can use his shot which is his only useful attribute at this point.

Palat-Cirelli-Johnson was a solid line. And with Coleman around, we can use that as a 3rd line while still having plenty of fire power in the top-6. Or we can keep the 1st line loaded up and use it as a 2nd line. I'd like to see it as a shutdown line in the playoffs, personally. It just swaps Cirelli in for Point on what was our most successful shutdown line in recent history. Something like:

Coleman-Point-Kucherov
Killorn-Stamkos-Gourde
Palat-Cirelli-Johnson

I know people aren't going to want to see Gourde on 2nd line, but he's had a decent string of games lately. Killorn and Stammer look good together in spurts, and Stamkos is finally able to drive a line. I like having a little bit of grit on every line come playoff time.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Jets fan coming in peace.
I was just wondering how much of the center position he plays?

Stay safe everyone!!!

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Not as much as he used to since the ascendance of Point and Cirelli. He's primarily a winger and a backup for when another center gets hurt.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Jets fan coming in peace.
I was just wondering how much of the center position he plays?

Not much these days with the rise of Point and Cirelli (who have even pushed Stamkos to the wing as well), but before that he spent several years as a top six center for a perennial playoff team and was arguably our de facto 1C for a few of them. In short he’s a legit NHL center and not a guy who played it at lower levels but couldn’t stick there in the pros; we just have such insane depth at the position (and until recently so little at RW) that once Point arrived it made sense to move him to the wing. But there’s no reason to think he couldn’t still play center if called upon to do so.

Murp

Nov 15, 2019
If Tyler Johnson does not get CBO'd I will send Julien Brisebois an angry letter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad