Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Johnson was also eased in without hype and had a built-in chemistry with Palat by the time he made it. That said, I love how Johnson plays, and how he was developed, I think, will be pretty typical of "the Lightning way." We make the kids earn it, and Johnson has. One of my favorites.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I know it is illegal to shove the puck with a hand now in a face off, but is there any rule against heading it back? Looks like Tyler's head isn't far off the ice most of the time.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
RTShark ‏@RTShark 5 minutes ago

Heads up: Tyler Johnson to be on @SiriusXMNHL in a two hours or so. #TBLightning

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
His stick handling is vastly improved from last year. It's a whole new dimension.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
You can tell he has a passion for the game. Undersized undrafted player who never stops working. Seems like hes got a great attitude as well, always with a huge smile on his face when his teammates score. One of my favorite players for sure.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
So who gave this kid skates with jet packs on the back of them tonight?

rQP56ke.png

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
This guy is a legend. Even when the rest of the team isn't giving a ****, he still gives his best and as of now his best is pretty damn good. Whenever I get my next TB jersey it's going to have the number 9 on the back.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I cant tell you how many times I've seen him get punched in the face and then he just starts grinning from ear to ear at the guy. Kid has heart, I'll give him that. :laugh:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I cant tell you how many times I've seen him get punched in the face and then he just starts grinning from ear to ear at the guy. Kid has heart, I'll give him that. :laugh:

He seems to always be smiling on the ice. Then you have Kuch who never smiles, pretty funny. lol.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I was one of the guys who thought Conacher would be better than TJ and thought he'd be the next MSL, kid had heart like Marty but wow Johnson's got the smarts. One of the biggest improvements he made over the offseason was learning how to avoid big hits or positioning himself perfectly to take as little damage as possible, he's been going against top shut down units and hasn't been laid out once. And unlike last year, he's avoiding post-whistle scrums now.

I like how he's not forcing himself to be a goalscorer just because he was one in the AHL, instead he's using his speed to open up his teammates and becoming a playmaker.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
I was one of the guys who thought Conacher would be better than TJ and thought he'd be the next MSL, kid had heart like Marty but wow Johnson's got the smarts. One of the biggest improvements he made over the offseason was learning how to avoid big hits or positioning himself perfectly to take as little damage as possible, he's been going against top shut down units and hasn't been laid out once. And unlike last year, he's avoiding post-whistle scrums now.

I like how he's not forcing himself to be a goalscorer just because he was one in the AHL, instead he's using his speed to open up his teammates and becoming a playmaker.

He's still second on the team in SOG and not afraid to shoot at all. It's unfortunate he's only gotten one goal for his 32 shots, but I suspect he'll reverse that trend soon enough as long as he keeps trying.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
He's still second on the team in SOG and not afraid to shoot at all. It's unfortunate he's only gotten one goal for his 32 shots, but I suspect he'll reverse that trend soon enough as long as he keeps trying.

I'm guessing TJ gets at least 30 goals this season.

Kid literally just keeps on going and going and...

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Most of his shots are taken in a low percentage area driving down the wing, where it pretty much just hits the goalie in the chest. He does that more for an offensive zone start than actually trying to score a goal.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Most of his shots are taken in a low percentage area driving down the wing, where it pretty much just hits the goalie in the chest. He does that more for an offensive zone start than actually trying to score a goal.

That and look at TJs shot on Kucherovs second goal the other night. He's smart enough to realize that sometimes the best pass you can make is a low shot to the far pad for the rebound.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Damn no wonder he looks so much better, doing insane workouts this early. Undersized players take note.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad