Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Coop was messing around with the PP units finally (had Drouin on the top unit for the only PP where we made the Flyers sweat - who saw that coming iknowright?), but I maintain the problem with the PP isn't the personnel, it's the system. Putting Stamkos on his strong-side is a waste - even when he's not banging home one-timers from the other side he's a threat.

I agree it is not the personnel, if you can't score goals consistently with guys like Stamkos on the PP, it has to be the system and execution. I still would like to see that top unit we saw last season, and early this season.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think the third line is going to be Killorn-Flip-Paquette when Palat gets back, just because, for some odd reason - Connolly only looks good on the fourth line, but he makes the fourth line a threat which I can live with.

Coop was messing around with the PP units finally (had Drouin on the top unit for the only PP where we made the Flyers sweat - who saw that coming iknowright?), but I maintain the problem with the PP isn't the personnel, it's the system. Putting Stamkos on his strong-side is a waste - even when he's not banging home one-timers from the other side he's a threat.

When he finally put Drouin on the 1st unit though, he balanced it out with another strange decision--Connolly replaced Callahan, and Callahan was out there with TKO. Can't say I get that.

I'm also getting on board with the opinion that maybe we need to replace Flip on the 1st unit. Over all I think Flip is a great PP player, but until he becomes a threat to shoot once in a while, I think we might have better options.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Johnson drew the toughest assignments plenty of times. He went up against Toews when we played the Blackhawks, and he was out there against Giroux and Voracek most of the night last night. The guy's just a hockey player.

The Hawks were the first to really do it. I pointed that out in the chat during the game over on Boltprospects. And how it should be a slap in the face of Stamkos that he's facing 2nd tier checking/d-pairings because of how awful they are compared to TJ's line.

It really would be nice if Drouin works out with Stamkos because of the pick your poison qualities. There are very few teams that can hang with what would amount to, Two #1 Lines.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
When he finally put Drouin on the 1st unit though, he balanced it out with another strange decision--Connolly replaced Callahan, and Callahan was out there with TKO. Can't say I get that.

I'm also getting on board with the opinion that maybe we need to replace Flip on the 1st unit. Over all I think Flip is a great PP player, but until he becomes a threat to shoot once in a while, I think we might have better options.

Well it led to a goal by putting Cally on the 2nd unit. So it worked. But not sure why Connolly was on the first unit over Callahan.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well it led to a goal by putting Cally on the 2nd unit. So it worked. But not sure why Connolly was on the first unit over Callahan.

In that instant it worked. But our 2nd unit averages, what? 30 seconds of icetime per PP? If we were splitting our PP icetime evenly between the units, then it wouldn't matter which unit guys were on. I actually think that'd be the better way to go, considering how good TKO has been. But as of right now the 1st unit plays the lion's share, so I'm not a big fan of giving Connolly, a guy who's yet to register an assist this year, that sort of premium offensive role.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
In that instant it worked. But our 2nd unit averages, what? 30 seconds of icetime per PP? If we were splitting our PP icetime evenly between the units, then it wouldn't matter which unit guys were on. I actually think that'd be the better way to go, considering how good TKO has been. But as of right now the 1st unit plays the lion's share, so I'm not a big fan of giving Connolly, a guy who's yet to register an assist this year, that sort of premium offensive role.

Like I said want to see Coop go back to the Hedman - Stamkos - Palat - Flip - Callahan unit, but would not mind Drouin being in Palat's spot, that could make things even better, and keep TKO on the PP together as well, or put Drouin with TK. I think both options are good options.

Why Connolly is even on the PP to begin with is beyond me. :help:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Like I said want to see Coop go back to the Hedman - Stamkos - Palat - Flip - Callahan unit, but would not mind Drouin being in Palat's spot, that could make things even better, and keep TKO on the PP together as well, or put Drouin with TK. I think both options are good options.

Why Connolly is even on the PP to begin with is beyond me. :help:

Connolly has a great shot that's why. If they are going to play Stamkos at the point they need a RH shot on the left dot. His one timer isn't his best aspect, his release is so being on the dot isn't ideal but only Stamkos is ideal there for us. Just put Stamkos back on the dot and it improves tremendously, he isn't afraid to shoot from there which he seems to be at the point.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Back at the top of the league in ES points. The Little Engine That Could continues to chug along.

Really a treat to watch him able to control the puck the way he does. Any chance he evolves into a MSL type player? I wouldn't be surprised if he evolves into your best forward in the future.

Pernax

Nov 4, 2010
I'm starting to land on the side of the injury theory though. There was a really awkward moment last night where he clearly should have shot the puck but instead he dropped it back about 5-7 feet so a defender could wrist it on goal. Flip's still making some great moves with the puck, but they're not amounting to anything because he's not a threat to shoot in the least right now. And half of his points have come on the PP.

If you dig into the history of Filppula with the Red Wings, it's clear that one theme emerges: not taking the shot. This was probably one of his biggest weaknesses, and was criticised for it periodically by the training staff. During his NHL career (regular season), he's posted a 1.63 SOG / game average. So is he injured, or falling back to "bad habits"? Those two things could be linked too.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Really a treat to watch him able to control the puck the way he does. Any chance he evolves into a MSL type player? I wouldn't be surprised if he evolves into your best forward in the future.

Hope not. He can be better than MSL. He's a center. He's as fast if not faster. He's already better defensively. Let's hope he doesn't develop the blind-drop-pass ability of MSL or become the defensive liability that MSL is now.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hope not. He can be better than MSL. He's a center. He's as fast if not faster. He's already better defensively. Let's hope he doesn't develop the blind-drop-pass ability of MSL or become the defensive liability that MSL is now.

lol lets be real, I doubt he comes anywhere near prime St.louis. St.louis was 4th in selke voting and a takeaway artist in his prime while scoring 90+ points. Unless you're talking about the 39 year old past his prime St.louis on the Rangers right now..

As far as a MSL sucessor goes though, I'd say Johnson fits the bill much more so than Drouin, heart and soul guy who shows up every game, and winning over the fans with his work ethic.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
lol lets be real, I doubt he comes anywhere near prime St.louis. St.louis was 4th in selke voting and a takeaway artist in his prime while scoring 90+ points. Unless you're talking about the 39 year old past his prime St.louis on the Rangers right now..

As far as a MSL sucessor goes though, I'd say Johnson fits the bill much more so than Drouin, heart and soul guy who shows up every game, and winning over the fans with his work ethic.

None of them play an MSL style, which is fine. There's more than one variety of hockey player. Gotta say, Drouin's setup of Stamkos' goal was kind of vintage MSL, but Drouin is more of a puck-handler set up man than pinpoint saucer pass off the rush playmaker.

As an aside - my fiance hates Tyler Johnson. She says "he always gets in the middle of stuff and he's always grinning". Sounds about right to me - I don't understand how she could hate that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
None of them play an MSL style, which is fine. There's more than one variety of hockey player. Gotta say, Drouin's setup of Stamkos' goal was kind of vintage MSL, but Drouin is more of a puck-handler set up man than pinpoint saucer pass off the rush playmaker.

As an aside - my fiance hates Tyler Johnson. She says "he always gets in the middle of stuff and he's always grinning". Sounds about right to me - I don't understand how she could hate that.

That's really funny because a friend of mine (female) loves Tyler Johnson. She says, "He's feisty and he's always smiling."

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Yeah he's tiny and always trying to scrap with people. I'm scared for the time the refs don't separate him from the scrum.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah he's tiny and always trying to scrap with people. I'm scared for the time the refs don't separate him from the scrum.

If he continues to produce points like that they will watch out for his security. See Crosby, Stammer, Kessel etc. the refs almost always instantly jump in between if guys like that are involved.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he continues to produce points like that they will watch out for his security. See Crosby, Stammer, Kessel etc. the refs almost always instantly jump in between if guys like that are involved.

It's really odd to see how little respect TyJo gets with other fans, which I guess stems from his never being drafted. I think the assumption is it's smoke and mirrors with him so far this year. But he's been incredible. I'm not sure if he's good enough to be a ppg player, just because that's so rare these days, but I think the way he's playing right now is who he is. What a great surprise.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's really odd to see how little respect TyJo gets with other fans, which I guess stems from his never being drafted. I think the assumption is it's smoke and mirrors with him so far this year. But he's been incredible. I'm not sure if he's good enough to be a ppg player, just because that's so rare these days, but I think the way he's playing right now is who he is. What a great surprise.

TJ should make the All-star game, but he won't since it's more of a popularity contest. I'd rather him be our secret weapon. All eyes are on Stamkos and gives him the opportunity to make the other team pay. You have to love it.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa

Don't get it. That's why he's so awesome. He's an outstanding player who genuinely seems to be having fun out there. He's also one of the first guys they get to do fan interaction stuff. He just seems like an all-around nice guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad