Waived: Tyler Johnson (upd: clears)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I think once the rest of the free agent forwards sign, teams will start calling on TJ. Tampa will have to attach something to him to get someone to bite without any retention, but he's still a good player that can help a lot of teams.
He's putting up 40-50 points and 20-30 goals playing 15 minutes per game. If a team can manage to get an a nice addition to take him, then put in their top 6, I'd imagine they will be pretty happy with the outcome.

Reactions: Makaveli

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
View attachment 372555

Look at the tanking!!

They should be penalized for that.. no integrity.

Look at all those attractive markets Johnson can waive to..... NSH is like the American culture capital of the world and is basically a party that never ends, NYR and NJD are like 20 minutes away from each other and the last is Hollywood. DET and OTT aren't the godforesaken hell holes people make them out to be either.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Nothing makes sense, after yesterday.

It seems probable that some GM's were asleep at the wheel, and will be shocked with the return Vegas received. Note also, Schmidt has a 10 team no trade list, and given how much cap room teams have, and which of those need a D man, it wouldn't be hard to put Vegas in a corner, and essentially select your team.

Schmidt with a short list and knowing who was interested made Vancouver the only team.

I think once the rest of the free agent forwards sign, teams will start calling on TJ. Tampa will have to attach something to him to get someone to bite without any retention, but he's still a good player that can help a lot of teams.

Killorn and Palat is what’s moveable

Gourde and Johnson, given term are immovable without attaching Cirelli/Sergachev or a few 1sts,

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
View attachment 372555

Look at the tanking!!

Yeah, because those are the final rosters (just ignore the actual number of players currently on the roster even the numbers are right there) and those teams aren’t going to sign their currently unsigned RFAs either.

Also, every team shouldn’t be spending up to the cap every year, that’s not a smart strategy.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Unless we're dealing with a truly special player (like Aho), I think GMs tend a lot of GMs wanted to see how the "frenzy" pans out before giving up big assets for young players.

Heck, look at what Vancouver was able to get Schmidt for, or what New Jersey was able to get Johnsson for.

That being said, we are entering the stage where the "frenzy" is of course dying down. Defencemen are basically all spoken for -- only material guys remaining are Vatanen & Hamonic -- so it's probably getting to the point where the agents are now talking to other teams trying to present both options to their player.

The question of course is -- who at this point is looking to spend at least $3.5m on a young defenceman?

A couple of teams that stand out to me are:
- Boston for Sergachev, who IMO should also be talking to Cirelli
- Pittsburgh for Cernak
- Calgary for Cernak
- Islanders for Cernak
- Florida for Sergachev
- maybe Nashville for Cernak
- Los Angeles for both
- Columbus for both
- Buffalo for Sergachev

You could maybe make the justification for Toronto in the conext of Cernak as a Justin Holl upgrade, but they'd need to make another move (Kerfoot) first.

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
Yeah, because those are the final rosters (just ignore the actual number of players currently on the roster even the numbers are right there) and those teams aren’t going to sign their currently unsigned RFAs either.

Also, every team shouldn’t be spending up to the cap every year, that’s not a smart strategy.

It was half a joke. I don't have time to look at each team's UFAs and estimate their values.

That being said, I do encourage tanking because I believe 1st-3 OA draft picks are vital. Teams tend to call these times where fans endure losses 'rebuilds'

Let's be honest, I encourage it for the same reason that teams go through it: the system is too tank friendly.

It's the right approach, but it complete demolishes competitive integrity. Just look at Detroit's last season, thank god they didn't win 1st OA. They purposely deployed an AHL team and that should never be a thing.

EDIT:

Detroit had perhaps the worst season in 20 years of NHL history. Let's bet many teams will do so for Shane Wright the season after the upcoming one as well. It's so shameless, yet so right. It's so stupid.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Schmidt with a short list and knowing who was interested made Vancouver the only team.

Gourde and Johnson, given term are immovable without attaching Cirelli/Sergachev or a few 1sts,

I'm not convinced Killorn has positive value. He's been a 20-20 guy for years. He had a good regular season this year, then a poor playoffs. He's 31.

Andreas Johnsson is a 20-20 guy who is 25 and paid much less and he was given away.

I wouldn't be shocked if a team took him for free but I also wouldn't be surprised if they wanted a small sweetener.

If I had the space, I'd rather take Granlund or Dadonov and I don't think they're going to get $4.5m for 3 years.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
I find it hilarious how 30 teams don’t want to help Tampa

When did this become a helping league? It's business!

Nothing against TB, I love their team! BUT they benefit form giving out those NMC to bring down the AAV and can offer lower AAV because of taxes...now have a stacked team with lower than normal cap hits, so if means they need to feel pain, so be it. It's a risk the organization is willing to take, Yzerman went too far and now need to pay price.

Other teams will be happy to take to Serg or Cirelli to 'help' ..lol

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'm not convinced Killorn has positive value. He's been a 20-20 guy for years. He had a good regular season this year, then a poor playoffs. He's 31.

Andreas Johnsson is a 20-20 guy who is 25 and paid much less and he was given away.

I wouldn't be shocked if a team took him for free but I also wouldn't be surprised if they wanted a small sweetener.

If I had the space, I'd rather take Granlund or Dadonov and I don't think they're going to get $4.5m for 3 years.

Killorn fits more of the physical %3rd line forward while Johnsson is a softer 2nd off line winger.

When I see moveabl I’m not saying fair value or Tampa doesn’t need to add. I just said moveable.

Most teams have these middle six 20 goal off players. They are a dime/dozen.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Look at all those attractive markets Johnson can waive to..... NSH is like the American culture capital of the world and is basically a party that never ends, NYR and NJD are like 20 minutes away from each other and the last is Hollywood. DET and OTT aren't the godforesaken hell holes people make them out to be either.

Can't speak for the other teams, but NYR has no cap space to add Johnson. 19M - 4 of which needs to be kept clear for ELC bonuses above the cushion, and the rest to sign DeAngelo, Georgiev, Lemieux and Strome.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010

Gourde unmovable ? No way Jose.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
It's a matter of time. You never start with your best offer.

So Tampa will first call team X "hey how about TJ plus a 7th", team X says no
Then they'll call team Y, "hey how about TJ plus a 7th", team Y says no
Then they'll call team Z, "hey how about TJ plus a 7th", team Y says no
Then they'll circle back and call team X "hey how about TJ plus a 6th"
and so on...

At some point the pick or sweetening asset will get high enough that someone will accept.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
View attachment 372555

Look at the tanking!!

Did you just imply the Red Wings have no integrity? Excuse me while I roll my eyes as hard as I possibly can.

I'd love to know which team you're a fan of, but I'm sure this burner account if yours will be discarded soon enough.

Nice troll, 8/7, would click and get annoyed again.

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
Did you just imply the Red Wings have no integrity? Excuse me while I roll my eyes as hard as I possibly can.

I'd love to know which team you're a fan of, but I'm sure this burner account if yours will be discarded soon enough.

Nice troll, 8/7, would click and get annoyed again.

You're right, they were totally trying to win with last year's fielded AHL caliber team!

Worst record by an NHL team past year 2000! They were truly trying, I mean looking at last season's record, they were only slightly above the worst team during the lockout year!!

Don't get me wrong, I agree with tanking to get good prospects as you're rebuilding. That being said, it is an immoral approach with absolutely no competitive integrity. At least accept the numbers.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
You're right, they were totally trying to win with last year's fielded AHL caliber team!

Worst record by an NHL team past year 2000! They were truly trying, I mean looking at last season's record, they were only slightly above the worst team during the lockout year!!

Don't get me wrong, I agree with tanking to get good prospects as you're rebuilding. That being said, it is an immoral approach with absolutely no competitive integrity. At least accept the numbers.

You must not subscribe to the idea implied by your name.

Off with you, then.

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

Here is the saddest thing about this... That was actually the best team we could ice...

We tried signing some vets when Holland was around, and they have fallen off a cliff.
All our good vets retired years ago and we got nothing for them (Datsyuk, Zetterberg).
We have been drafting 25th+ or no picks for about 20 years so we were light on talent.
Our young kids (Larkin - 15th, Mantha-20th, Bertuzzi-2nd round)... these are not even high picks.
Bottom line is we suck man.
Our "Tanking" involved 3 years ago moving Nyquist and Tatar who were our best 2 players.
If we drafted an Eichel, maybe we could complain that our team sucks, and we cant draft a star around him....
IF we drafted an Eichel.

My point is this. We literally iced the best team we could. Maxed out our cap with bad contracts years ago, and still need our kids to step up. And when we try to play our kids early, they suck too.

You are suggesting we had options. That we could have actually iced a better team.
Maybe its a troll post... Or maybe you just have no idea... That IS our best team.
If you can suggest a way to improve it... we are all ears. Because the draft lottery system NO LONGER helps the worst team in the league... Simply look at where we have been drafting while finishing Bottom 5 the last few years.

The reason we don't sign Krug or Hall is this.... Whats the point... the team is too bad to justify spending the money on them to fish pucks out of our net. You sign UFA's to complement a core, not create one.

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It's a matter of time. You never start with your best offer.

So Tampa will first call team X "hey how about TJ plus a 7th", team X says no
Then they'll call team Y, "hey how about TJ plus a 7th", team Y says no
Then they'll call team Z, "hey how about TJ plus a 7th", team Y says no
Then they'll circle back and call team X "hey how about TJ plus a 6th"
and so on...

At some point the pick or sweetening asset will get high enough that someone will accept.
It may start going to voicemail when he gets to “TJ plus a 5th”.

Reactions: 24 others

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
What’s the ask from Los Angeles for Johnson and Sergachev with no retention?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
i have to be honest, i haven't gone through the 44 pages and it might have been discussed before.

a lot of tampa fans are dismissing the option of an os, as they are rarely signed. but i think it is clear, that tampa won't be able to squeeze in all three rfa in the remaining cap space of 2.9m. they also can't promise a significant raise next year to them, as only a few cheap contracts (6 contracts for a little bit more than 8m) are expiring.
i don't think cernak, cirelli and sergachev would agree to deals, which pay them below 1m for the next two seasons. if this is the plan, i am pretty sure at least one of them will sign a contract with another team. matching the os would mean even more cap trouble for tampa.

so what is the plan? how does tampa generate the cap space do sign their valuable rfa's?

playing the waiting game has not materialized in anything. au contraire most teams have burned their cap space for other assets and good players like palat and killorn on reasonable contracts won't be easily moved. even more so as they can limit the trade partners with their ntc's. schmidt (without retention) was moved for a third round pick. tampa might be lucky to find a destination, where they don't have to add additional assets to move killorn or palat without retention. gourde? forget it. johnson already passed waivers.

buyouts also don't look attractive, as two won't suffice. the year one savings are the following:
johnson 2.3m
gourde 2.4m
palat 2.0m
killorn 3.0m
coleman 1.2m
paquette 1.1m
coburn 1.1m

as tampa will have to replace those roster players with other players, the last three are basically not worth discussing unless a better player signs for the saving amount or less. if they buy out johnson, gourde and killorn the gain 7.7m in cap space. if they replace them with three forwards earning 0.9m, they have an extra 5m to spread around their rfa's. could they really sign them all for a total of 7.9m? very doubtful. how do you sell a 2yrs/3.5m contract to sergachev, if he gets offered 3y/6.5m by an other team. tampa won't have the cap space to make up for the difference in pay in the third year. even less so with about 7m in buy out penalty clustering their cap.

this is no easily riddle to solve and brisbois most likely messed up by not moving early and aggressively money out. before the draft killorn and palat might even returned a pick. now it's a blood bath.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad