Waived: Tyler Johnson (upd: clears)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
That's just PR. What do people expect him to say? haha. In most cases, athletes will never admit they want to leave. Didn't we see it with many stars, just for them to explore UFA market? It's bad for business to say you want to leave.. That being said, I'd be inclined to believe him if he didn't say ''for his whole career''. How can he make such a statement about the next 15-20 years of his life?
Russians don't do fake modesty like North Americans. That's why Kucherov got dragged awhile back for talking about certain unnamed players for the Lightning not playing as hard after they got a good contract. I don't remember what year exactly, but it was either after the sweep last year or the loss to Washington in the ECF. Anyways, he said до конца кареры or something to that effect in the source I found (a Russian NHL fan tipped us off on our board).

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
Russians don't do fake modesty like North Americans. That's why Kucherov got dragged awhile back for talking about certain unnamed players for the Lightning not playing as hard after they got a good contract. I don't remember what year exactly, but it was either after the sweep last year or the loss to Washington in the ECF. Anyways, he said до конца кареры or something to that effect in the source I found (a Russian NHL fan tipped us off on our board).
I'd really respect Sergachev's words if I believed them.. and I would believe them if his claims weren't so far fetched.. I mean, I'd believe him if he said ''I want to sign TB on my next contract.. I don't mind playing for them a few more years''. "Whole Career" seems so excessive tho

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

Bob and 200 others

Apr 30, 2012
So HFboards, where are all the offersheets? Has even one rfa league wide been offered one? Much less signed one? Paging McJedi, who totally has a direct line to Sakic.. What's the hold up bro?:laugh:

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Toffoli just signed for less then Johnson makes. He is twice the player at this point in their respective careers.
Johnson will not be going anywhere.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Toffoli just signed for less then Johnson makes. He is twice the player at this point in their respective careers.

Is he really? This is the first season since 15-16 where Toffoli has outscored Johnson. Johnson had his worst season and Toffoli was in a contract year. They're very close to being the same player. Toffoli signed during Covid while Johnson's was pre and the cap was expected to continually rise.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
That is not even close to being true. You may want to take a look into your facts.

Reactions: NatoGhost

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If TJ refuses to waive his NTC, would TB really bury him in the minors? For a savings of ~400K? Seems like really bad player management.
Especially when they are likely to lose good players if he wont waive. Theyre not going to purposely make their team worse just to spite him. None of their forward prospects are likely to offer the same impact

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I mean there’s no offer sheets but the RFA’s also aren’t signed. The report said that they would not fool around and they would give them legit good offers. We haven’t seen that yet

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This may drag out until just before the next season starts. If the RFAs don't sign offer sheets, the team will try to move other players but if their efforts are all rebuffed then everyone will have to be patient. If one of the young players decides to consider an offer sheet that may push TB's hand. At this point, it seems that TB can't give away some of the NTC players and they've already insulted Johnson who will stay with the team for the foreseeable future.

It's hardly the end of the world if they take their lumps here or lose an RFA or two. They won the cup so mission accomplished. TB fans shouldn't sweat this even if a Cernak or Cirelli goes it isn't going to cripple the team. Any other team in the league would be happy to have this problem coming off a cup win.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
This may drag out until just before the next season starts. If the RFAs don't sign offer sheets, the team will try to move other players but if their efforts are all rebuffed then everyone will have to be patient. If one of the young players decides to consider an offer sheet that may push TB's hand. At this point, it seems that TB can't give away some of the NTC players and they've already insulted Johnson who will stay with the team for the foreseeable future.

It's hardly the end of the world if they take their lumps here or lose an RFA or two. They won the cup so mission accomplished. TB fans shouldn't sweat this even if a Cernak or Cirelli goes it isn't going to cripple the team. Any other team in the league would be happy to have this problem coming off a cup win.

It would be a lot worse if we lost the cup and then had to deal with this. It took a while for Point to get done last year. I'm expecting it to take a while. At least if they want to stay in Tampa it will take a while. I think at worst we lose one or two of those guys but yea we aren't going to sweat those losses as much as people around here seem to think.

I'll say this I'll be shocked if one of them leaves via offer sheet. I dont know why people love to say offer sheets will happen when we rarely see them. I think its more likely to have happen to teams that aren't very good or enjoyable places to play due to losing or culture. Tampa has a great culture, I might be wrong but I have a hard time seeing one of them go in that circumstance. I think we could see one or two of them traded but we will get something good for those guys because they are good players.

I trust our management to do the right thing. Its funny all these people love to say it's the end of the world for tampa every offseason but our management finds a way. I think they will again this time even if we have to lose some players.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It would be a lot worse if we lost the cup and then had to deal with this. It took a while for Point to get done last year. I'm expecting it to take a while. At least if they want to stay in Tampa it will take a while. I think at worst we lose one or two of those guys but yea we aren't going to sweat those losses as much as people around here seem to think.

I'll say this I'll be shocked if one of them leaves via offer sheet. I dont know why people love to say offer sheets will happen when we rarely see them. I think its more likely to have happen to teams that aren't very good or enjoyable places to play due to losing or culture. Tampa has a great culture, I might be wrong but I have a hard time seeing one of them go in that circumstance. I think we could see one or two of them traded but we will get something good for those guys because they are good players.

I trust our management to do the right thing. Its funny all these people love to say it's the end of the world for tampa every offseason but our management finds a way. I think they will again this time even if we have to lose some players.
I looked it up and you ain’t kidding, Point signed on Sept 23. The people who are expecting drastic action any day now may want to relax a bit.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Just out of curiosity. Is it that you can bury 1.25M in cap per player? Or per team? So for instance if you put both Johnson and Gourde on waivers and sent them to the minors, would you save 2.5M total or just 1.25M? This is hypothetical, not suggesting it will happen.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I'd really respect Sergachev's words if I believed them.. and I would believe them if his claims weren't so far fetched.. I mean, I'd believe him if he said ''I want to sign TB on my next contract.. I don't mind playing for them a few more years''. "Whole Career" seems so excessive tho

I've talked to business friends who know him. He loves it here. He won't move unless someone slams $10M plus, IMHO.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I've talked to business friends who know him. He loves it here. He won't move unless someone slams $10M plus, IMHO.

What’s not to love? Florida winter weather a low profile sport and team success. That’s a good combo. The issue for TB is now that they have had their championship they sort of have to go NE Patriots and identify their core and just stop paying complementary players no matter how good.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
So HFboards, where are all the offersheets? Has even one rfa league wide been offered one? Much less signed one? Paging McJedi, who totally has a direct line to Sakic.. What's the hold up bro?:laugh:
You wouldn't know if any offer sheets have been offered until they are signed or rejected and made public

Players can reject an offer sheet and you'd never know unless an insider found out

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
What’s not to love? Florida winter weather a low profile sport and team success. That’s a good combo. The issue for TB is now that they have had their championship they sort of have to go NE Patriots and identify their core and just stop paying complementary players no matter how good.

I could see Cirelli moved, but it will have to be one hell of an offer.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I could see Cirelli moved, but it will have to be one hell of an offer.

At some point if they can’t clear cap they will just have to take the best offer they get. I’m sure they could get a nice offer for him but I’d expect it will be a bit underwhelming for Bolts fans. Alternatively they can bite the bullet and ask teams with cap what it would take to get them to absorb Killorn and Palat and maybe go a draft or two with no high picks. The team will survive and thrive either way.

Reactions: DaBolts

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
So where does Sergachev and Cirelli end up. Seems like there’s little willingness to help them out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad