Waived: Tyler Johnson (upd: clears)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
Right now the Wings have 18M in cap space without Bertuzzi and Mantha signed. Bertuzzi at 5M and Mantha at 7M. Those seem pretty reasonable if they were to sign long term deals. Guess where that leaves us for 2020? At about 6-7M in cap space. They could possibly add another 6 if they wanted to fill up Zetterberg's LTIR amount. but frankly, that's not free cap space and shouldn't be treated as such.

They did everything they could within reason. Would I like to see them go out and sign a guy like Dadonov who's pretty good? Sure. I'd also like them to think beyond one year with their cap planning and roster construction. Could we take a guy like Boychuk and have a slightly better D? Could we have dealt basically nothing and gotten Nate Schmidt back? Sure. But that's us giving up flexibility because some random dude doesn't think we are doing enough to "try to win".

Focus on teams like Buffalo who deal away goalies (multiple) in a season because they want the top pick. That have their entire fanbase en masse IN ARENA spend months booing the good things their team does and cheering when they lose. What the Wings are doing isn't tanking. You don't have to like it, but Yzerman is bringing in guys who are NHL caliber players to replace guys who were on the roster before he got here that weren't.
That's really good to know. My intention was never to insult you guys.

The way I see it, last year's performance is unacceptable to any fan base (pace for 47). In most given year, worst teams get around 58-64 ish (I believe Buffalo had 54 on year it was criticized by people to be tanking for McDavid)? I could be wrong, but it shouldn't be far off

I earnestly feel last year was difficult to swallow.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

The way I see it, last year's performance is unacceptable to any fan base (pace for 47). In most given year, worst teams get around 58-64 ish (I believe Buffalo had 54 on year it was criticized by people to be tanking for McDavid)? I could be wrong, but it shouldn't be far off

No shit it's unacceptable. You'll have some of the more die hard "burn it to the ground" guys like "yeah, give me that sweet 1OA".

But the Wings had 47 points or were on pace for 47 points because they had a dogshit roster AND bad luck. They lost DeKeyser pretty early on. They lost Mantha right somewhere in the middle to Jake Muzzin wanting to be Jake the Snake Roberts. By the nature of missing DeKeyser and guys like Ericsson, Daley, and Green being pylons at best or riding buses in GR at worst, Filip Hronek as a rookie was our #1D and he's got his own defensive issues. By the nature of Mantha going AWOL after Muzzin mugged him, we had 2/3rds of a top line and a second line that had Robby Fabbri. Athanasiou's one trick didn't bring us any success this year. He showed he wasn't a 30 goal scorer.

Jimmy Howard had probably the worst season a "starting" goalie has ever had. 2-23-2, .880 something, 4.20 GAA. That's mindblowingly bad.

You can't just look at the numbers of wins and losses and compare to Buffalo and say "Oh, Detroit is too!" The Wings were a bad team going into the year that had bad injury luck during the year.

E: Just look at the signings this year. You'll poopoo them... But Bobby Ryan is a damn sight better than whatever shlock was in our third line wing spot (Helm, Nielsen, G. Smith, Perlini, Erne). Madison Bowey was a tirefire on D, so if Jon Merrill is remotely defensively responsible we upgraded there. Staal now is a better defenseman than Jonathan Ericsson or Trevor Daley (I know, that's not saying much). DeKeyser should be back healthy.

Vladislav Namestnikov should perform better than -45 and 24 points. This offseason was the Wings improving.

They were that loaded with dogshit contracts that were not signed to be rebuilding moves. If they had just signed guys like Daley? Sure. But those were moves made by a "stay competitive" Kenny Holland.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
How is any of this about Tyler Johnson?

How are you about Tyler Johnson?

But basically, it amounts to the Wings had money to pick up TJ at his salary had they wanted. They have money to trade with Tampa if they want to. Until something happens in that vein... it's kind of pointless to hypothesize on it.

And also, all of the discussion about the Wings not needing to spend every dollar in their bank account supports us not damning the torpedoes to bring in a not great contract for Johnson who is heading towards the outs in Tampa. RH saw "you've got X amount of dollars, y u no sign guy". And the reason is the Wings are trying to keep themselves flexible in a pandemic.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
30yo, 5mil/y for the next four years, next year's salary is 5.5 mil, 5'8" 180 lbs, last year 7 points in 25 games -6...

Oof.

Even without a salary cap, internal or collective bargaining agreement, I wouldn't touch that. Not even if I was the Kraken.

Reactions: kp61c

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
wow, your lack of hockey knowledge is pretty incredible. Detroit did everything they could to keep making the playoffs until the team severely lacked talent. Maybe look up Detroit's playoff streak because apparently you know nothing about it
he won't. reality hurts - too much.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

I think I finally get what you are saying...

You think if all teams spend 81M, they will all be equally good.
And you think the draft lottery should simply be each team has 1 ball, and an equal 1/32 chance each year.
If the cap floor was 80M, and Ceiling 81M all teams will be equally good.

There is a flaw in your logic though... Several flaws.

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
I think I finally get what you are saying...

You think if all teams spend 81M, they will all be equally good.
And you think the draft lottery should simply be each team has 1 ball, and an equal 1/32 chance each year.
If the cap floor was 80M, and Ceiling 81M all teams will be equally good.

There is a flaw in your logic though... Several flaws.
No, you should read it over. If you had any intent in comprehending, this would not have been your conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad